/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helping a Strange Old Man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1003.jpg (41KB, 496x372px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1003.jpg
41KB, 496x372px
A man I met in a state psychiatric housing program (an apartment complex with households partially run by the state), who was there for having bipolar and suffering a lot of repeated loss, was looking to find a better housing situation. I found it due to my age, tech savvy, and youthful virility (yeah, right). He, unfortunately, did not. Without much of an understanding of how to work the computer (I'm guessing due to low IQ) or possession of a car, finding a new place has been very difficult for him.

I was thinking about reaching out to him and helping him find a place, as well as a consistent cellphone carrier...I'm not responsible for whatever happens to him after he moves, but the program is pushing for him to leave, and he receives Social Security. It's safe to say it is time for him to go, or least everyone seems to think so.

Do you think it would be a good idea to reach out to landlords and help make these connections for him? The location of the housing program is very remote for someone on foot, and the state workers are, well...state workers. I think I could be of much more assistance to him. All it would take is getting him connected with a landlord or apartment owner offering a lease, and scouting the situation out to make sure it is liveable. Does that sound like a good thing to do?

If you're wondering, "Hey, why don't you focus more on yourself than other people? You were just in a state run psychiatric housing program!" my answer is that I really only used it for the housing, and not for more than a couple of months.
>>
I really need some kind of input, because this is an unusual thing to try. I see no problems with it, it actually seems like a very nice idea, but more perspective is needed.
>>
In NY there is section 8 housing, pretty cheap in nice apartments. Might be similar by you.
>>
>>17462017
In Australia we have social workers who do exactly this sort of thing. Perhaps you should try to contact these people about old mate if you have them in burgerland?
>>
>>17462157
>>17462164
these are all very good ideas. unfortunately, the New Jersey solution is roommate arrangements, ghettos, and boarding houses, poverty level scenarios.

the government housing is so soulless and crushing, and his location has it so he can't go anywhere. I think that spending half his income on housing would be a step up. the program he is in takes more than half his income and harasses him for having bookshelves.

so should I hook him up with a landlord or lease person?
>>
Sounds like a nice thing to attempt to do, but know it's a lot of work first dealing with their handicap and then dealing with the bureaucracy. You can do some leg work yourself, but it really comes down to how much you want to invest in his life. And there might be a program you don't know about that could help him out, so maybe start digging there? If not, you could get your karma points and help him. Could come up roses like a movie where everyone is happy, but real life is more than often a drag.
>>
>>17462183
If you are in a position where you can do it, then go for it. Just know it will be a pain in the ass with paperwork more than likely.

As an aside, my girlfriend works in a mental health ward, and she tells me that by doing shit like this for people, and showing that you care makes a massive difference in their self worth, and their lives in general, so well done mate.
>>
>>17462184
unfortunately I have come to accept that people need to be dropped when they try to burden me, we all die etc. etc.

my only ambition would be to connect him with people who own the housing, something he is having trouble doing. I think that's very accomplishable, and not a drag in itself.

If he, say, becomes severely depressed or something, ;et's just say we're not gonna skype about it.

>maybe connect him to some housing programs, make sure you're doing the right thing
this may be a nice thing people choose to perpetuate. I was in the same situations as him and found no such housing program.
>>
>>17462190
he was interested in the personal stories I told. he giggled when I told him I had a girlfriend. he invited me in his home and treated me. he's a human being.

he's probably slow or something, perhaps stunted by the trauma of his mother committing suicide. these state capitol pieces of trash would just say, "some of these folks is retarded." some of these folks is state workers who aren't checked for competency like people who work for insurance companies. god damn is someone the devil when the introduction of insurance companies would enrich them.

I don't know if he has what it takes to be on his own, but I think if he fails he will go to a hospital and then back in a state housing program, nothing lost.

If he doesn't try to leave, like everyone is pushing for, then he won't gain anything.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.