[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MIT Frat life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: mit.png (1009KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
mit.png
1009KB, 2000x2000px
Anyone go to pic related or lives in the boston area who can tell me a bit about fraternity life at pic related?
experiences?
tips for rushing because theres 25 different fraternities?
stereotypes of the frats?

Thanks ahead of time!
>>
>>17459588
Yes, I did.
Pick the frat your friends are in. If there is more than one, figure out which ones are best professionally and choose the intersection between that and friends/personalities.
Your social radar had better be too-notch though or you will never figure it out fast enough.
Most do not take sophomores so you only have one chance.
>>
>>17460876
Top-notch
>>
>>17460878

Also, I guess a few that come to mind:

PKT - well-regarded, high-end professional people, somewhat competitive to rush, plenty of finance and high-end tech people

PBE - very rich alumni, great network, likes huge parties, very competitive to rush, but intense pledge process - good mix of finance, tech, consulting, VC

LCA - jock culture, issues, bad reputation for women; I think they are currently being purged / wiped.

ADP - quiet, bookish, low profile

AEP - very Jewish

ZBT - largely Jewish and far away, but often extremely talented people

Chi Phi - old money, mostly tall preppy guys, mostly tend to go into banking or PE, fair number of assholes but some decent people, very valuable house

DKE - lots of sports
KS - lots of sports

DTD - reminds me of a nicer version of Chi Phi but this is so vague as to be almost useless

DU - odd blend of high-end traditional finance and jock culture, but the latter is not universal within it. Tends to be secretive. I knew two great guys there, but also a couple really unpleasant ones. Good network.

TEP - not a typical frat - more like an extension of parts of Senior Haus or EC's Third East hall. Lots of academics, crazy east-side culture, very accepting of unusual lifestyle choices.

Nu Delta - iirc a black and/or hispanic frat

Number 6 - international students

Phi Delta Theta / Phi Delts - fratty

PKS / Skullhouse - I don't really know

Pi Lambda Phi - lots of traders and high-end software, but also values diversity - generally friendly people

Theta Chi - reminded me of a quieter version of PKT - had some extremely talented and professional people when I was there, nice house and decent parties

Theta Xi - there was something odd about this one but I don't remember what

Zeta Psi - fairly low-key, fairly friendly, close house, decent parties but typically not high-profile
>>
>>17461727
In general, many of the fraternities define their own local social communities, with rush-girls who tend to associate with them, and circles of friendships that include member and non-member men (some of the latter end up pledging as sophomores later to be closer to their friends, for the frats that allow it at least).

Be aware that these activities take time and a lot of them will likely feel pretty petty -- dealing with logistics for the house and for parties, doing pledge events some of which will probably be unconfortable, etc. Make sure you fit in well and really like the people, and that you have the time and inclination to keep the house running and value the local social community that you are supporting, or things can go badly. Also, dues can be costly at some, but it's usually not that bad.
>>
>>17461732
*uncomfortable

Anyway good luck. Hope you already know a lot of people coming in, and/or are really good at socializing intensely and learning about everyone quickly. That's probably the most important thing in the fraternity culture in general.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.