[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anxieties of leaving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: WP_20160807_007.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160807_007.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>18
>moving to California from the UK for college
>slightly anxious about such a big change, getting there, new routines etc.

How can I stop worrying? I leave in less than 2 days, wow it feels weird saying that. How brutal is US border security? It's strange, I already feel homesick even though I haven't left yet.
>>
You're from the UK, so if you're white you should be fine.

Joking aside though, what you're feeling is normal. Moving to another country, even temporarily, is a scary thing. And you'll get the rush of fear right before, and you'll probably have a little regret when you get here. But that will probably go away.
And I only say probably because Amerifats a shithole and idk why you'd want to come here lol.
>>
>>17459420
First time i went to washington the airport border security interrogated me with weird questions, almost yelled at me for no reason. Infact i was the last one to pick up my luggage and they even made a big deal about that.
Use the last days to overthink what you are bringing with, might be the case that you will end up missing things or memories more than your old life.
>>
>>17459438
It's better than the UK. We have shit weather, ugly women, and few prospects for millennials. I think I'll miss my pets, some of my family & friends, and the drinking age most though.

Is there any way to mitigate those feelings of regret/anxiety. I had those feelings when I started high school and it was awful. I also feel bad for leaving my family behind.
>>
>>17459453
Thanks for the advice, I get nervous when things like that happen which make it worse. Idk what to bring ): I've sort of lost the desire for material possessions (apart from money)
>>
>>17459474
Yea sorry i was too, don't worry. I believe it shouldn't get any worse than this though, so that would be a relieve?
>>
Californianon here.
What college are you going to, anon?
>>
>>17459420
Women, Weed, Weather.
>>
>>17459518
Pomona college, I really like the look of it
>>
>>17459420
If you are coming into the US legally you are in for a hard time. It is easier to slip across the mexican border through the desert and less a hassle than dealing with untrained, jackbooted, wannabe's with a badge immigration agents at the airport.
>>
>>17459542
I wish I had at least considered going to university in the US. When I was your age (5 years ago) it wasn't even presented to me as an option, although maybe that's just because I went to a pleb high school. What are the fees like? How about the prospects of staying on in the US after graduating?
>>
>>17459420
you'll be fine OP. In fact most people that school in the US want to stay. It's a big place and easy to find a place you are comfortable.
>>
>>17459458

I've done similar things a couple of times, leaving behind friends and family etc.

Different strokes for different folks, but what worked for me was keeping myself occupied for the first few days or weeks, depending on the length of my stay. I keep minimal contact with the people at home during that time so I don't fuck myself with unnecessary homesickness until I get used to the environment.

During a 2 month trip for example:

-Talked to moms for 30 minutes once and kept her up to date via messenger every second day or so

-Only used Snapchat to talk to my friends. No DM, only snaps. You're forced to keep it short and/or send a picture so laziness prevents you from talking too much.

-Didn't read anything about my country

-Ate local food, no home-made Goulasch

-Went out every night. Had a coffee and found a different place to sit down and read, went to bars and parties later when I made some friends at work

Lived like this for like a week and a half. It was enough to get used to the things to come in the next one and a half month and immerse myself with what I was doing there instead of constantly wondering about what's up at home.
>>
>>17459542
That's a selective school, nice OP.
I am a Californianon and it is safe to say that we like Brits. Be prepared for people to like your accent. Also be aware of Latinos, some immigrant families can't speak that much English.
>>
>>17459698
Oh and also enjoy the weather, it is lovely and often sunny.
>>
>>17459698
Thanks :D I speak Spanish so hopefully I'll get along with Latinos too
>>
>>17459696
Nice, so are parties easy to find in SoCal?
>>
>>17459667
The fees are insane, and I'm poorfag but luckily I got a scholarship - easier to get than you think. Just apply for financial aid when you apply. As for graduation prospects, it's hard to say, but I think if you go to a good college there'll be opportunities
>>
>>17459744

Idk, I never went outside Europe on work/study related trips. Never been to the US either. Make friends and be outgoing. Students are the same everywhere, so chances are, you'll find a party in less than a week.
>>
Buy a pair of sunglasses
>>
>>17459420
Welcome to the best country on earth.
>>
>>17459785
I do fucking love 'murica
>>
>>17459542
My brother went to Harvey mudd. One of my best friends went to Pomona. You are going to have an amazing time here. Claremont is a beautiful town with a friendly and young college community. Don't worry, don't trip, just enjoy and be open minded. These will be the best years of your life. You will see the best of this country in a place like this. Warning: you may never want to go back to the UK. I'm very excited for you. Also, as it has been said in here, your accent really is a pussy magnet. Be confident and don't take things too seriously and people will love you. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>17459846
P.S. Don't listen to the negativity about this country. Every country has its problems and the media makes it seem like everything is going to hell. It isn't. 99.999% of everything and everyone is good. You only see the bad things on TV. People here are just like anywhere else: mostly nice and decent will treat you with respect as long as you do the same. Seriously, you are going to have an amazing time.
>>
>>17459846
ditto to all anon said. I always wonder why brits worry about coming to the US. The US and the UK are joined at the hip.
>>
>>17459858
Seriously, out of all nationalities, we consider you guys our closest allies. We're bros. Totes malotes.
>>
Thanks for all the replies, I'm really excited now just a pain that the drinking age is 21, though I'll probably have better things to do it seems =D
>>
>>17460200
Underage drinking is totally a thing in Claremont, dude. The parties are wild.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.