[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn a new skill.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
I want to learn something like Tai Chi or Kung Fu, mostly because I need a new hobby and wanna learn how to not get my shit rocked by my fiancees ex boyfriend who is a navy brat. Any other fighting styles I could learn?
I stand at 5'11 and weigh 240.
>>
>>17457646
boxing.

all martial arts are useless if you don't even know how to throw a punch.
>>
>>17457646
>Tai Chi or Kung Fu
Both of these are fucking useless.

Learn boxing, kick boxing, BJJ or JKD or ideally a combination so your striking, standing grappling and floor fighting skills are somewhat developed.

Join a club that has:
>a qualified instructor who has competed on at least a national level
>has sparring, even if it isn't full contact it is better than nothing
>fitness requirements, especially in the later belts and grades

Ultimately, condition (health and fitness) and aggression will give you an edge over the ex if it ever comes to a fight.
People in the forces drill specific attacks and manoeuvres, ones they don't get to actually use very often at all.

Give it a year to get good at it.

But like >>17457659 said
>all martial arts are useless if you don't even know how to throw a punch.

The rule of thumb is that if you can't perform an attack in sparring against a resisting opponent, then it is probably useless.
>>
all martial arts are useless,
fighting with your fiances ex will only get you aggravated assault charges, 2-6 years in jail and a felony conviction. Don't bother, masculinity is a mess.
>>
>>17457659
This
>>
>>17457646
>implying kung fu is a style.
Its just the Chinese word for martial arts basically.
Anyway take if from someone 10+ years of formal training under many different styles and getting close to another 10 on addapting what I have learnt to be a bit more practical and fit my natural movement.
Chinese arts are generally taught more traditional if you want to learn about the internal side.
The eastern island styles tend to be harder in nature, like karate and taekwondo

What local styles are around you and what are you looking for out of it?
>>
>>17457646
Modern Tai Chi is more of an exercise than a martial art, much like Aikido, is pretty ducking useless. Don't do karate, taekwondo or any of the bollocks that involves loads of competitions, that's a sport, you aren't going to learn to defend yourself. Boxing is no good for real life situations, you'll break your hands almost definitely, unless you're constantly wearing the giant gloves, which I doubt you are.

I'd suggest BJJ, Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, or something else similar to these.

I've been doing wing Chun for nearly 10 years, and I also learnt some Judo and BJJ, and I can tell you, from my experience, these are the best 3, and if you can learn to mix them all together, you'll be fucking unstoppable
>>
Carry a roll of quarters. Hold it in your fist and punch. If you are already engaged, and you expect a fight before the wedding, then this is the only thing you have time to learn. Do not try to pick up a martial art or other fighting style for now: wait until this fight has happened or the threat of a fight has passed.

The problem is this: human fighting instincts suck. They served our evolutionary forebears well enough, but they didn't keep up with changes in human anatomy (and once sentience hit, all bets were off). Your first several years of training will be spent, first breaking down the bad old instincts, and then replacing them with something better suited to the human form. There will be a period of time during this when you've mostly let go of the old, but have not yet mastered the new, and during this time you are actually in worse danger than before you started. Everyone goes through this. It does not marrer how smart or talented you are, because we're talking about instinct: smarts and talent have nothing to do with it. There is no way around it; the only way beyond is through.

Unless you're planning to be engaged for the next five-odd years, this attack is going to come before you're through the awkward stage. Even if your engagement is planned to last longer, you have no guarantee that the attack will come near the wedding. If you're lucky, it will come before the awkward stage even hits, but then the art will not do you much good anyway.

Seriously, sempai. Take some time to reevaluate the threat. If it is in any way credible, then the martial arts are not the way to go.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.