[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resume Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: resume.jpg (906KB, 2337x2971px) Image search: [Google]
resume.jpg
906KB, 2337x2971px
Can anyone take a look at my engineering resume? I graduated last year and having alot of trouble getting a job interview.

Is there something wrong with my resume?
>>
>>17457034
Leave out the Japanese part. Just put Animation.
>>
>>17457034
The formatting is shit

I interview MDs. 75% of what my mind looks at is how pretty the formatting is. The other portion is the actual substance
>>
>>17457042
Is there a reason why I should leave out Japanese?

I'm thinking about leaving off all the volunteer section and include more engineering lab projects I did in school
>>
Dates and titles on two lines makes it look ugly
your education is on top, which is the least impressive part of your resume
your skills section detracts from the resume because it reads like a list of courses
the large line spacing makes your resume seem stretched downwards
the verbs you use are in diffrent tenses (verify vs creating vs involvement)
you dont frame what you did in terms of accomplishments
strike the word academic from academic projects
its not obvious what job you are looking for and why
>>
Here's a decent example of pretty formatting
>>
I work in recruiting. I'm free to answer questions for you.

Couple of things:There's way too much text - take out the Japanese shit, that has no relevance in engineering. At least the Red Cross shows you're active.
>>
>>17457047

Isn't that geared more towards graphic design majors?
>>
>>17457052
Also I forgot to add: Formatting is shit and hurts my eyes. Make your resume easy for me to scan. I have 100 other resumes to read, I'm not going to spend more than 10 seconds on your resume. Fuck making your resume pretty, make it easy to scan.
>>
>>17457046
the titles dont line up, "Quality Assurance" is below "Company A," "Lab Assistance" is below "State School"
the different types of bullets look ugly
italics doent help
dont include GPA unless it is actually impressive

the impression I get from your resume is you lack serious experience and dont have attention to detail. I havent even seriously read it yet.

>>17457044
this is 100% correct. 75% of your resume is surface details like I've mentioned. the actual substance is the rest, which wont get read unless the surface details check out
>>
File: graphic-designer-cv_1406960.jpg (553KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
graphic-designer-cv_1406960.jpg
553KB, 595x842px
>>17457053

No. It doesn't hurt to add a little color or style especially if you want to get noticed. Just avoid putting in crazy design stuff like pic related. Like I said, I interview MDs, the most stale of stale professionals.
>>
Guys,I'm not Op. But what should I put in my resume if I'm only getting out of university but I've never worked? I always see the experience being put like the most important part of the resume... but if I don't have any then it would look blank as fuck
>>
>>17457047
lol that's fucking gay.
>>
>>17457080
Volunteering experience and projects you've worked on. Internships as well.
>>
I'm an EE in industry.

I think the resume is OK. Kept it to one page; formatting decent; no visual art bullshit.

I'd go with it OP
>>
>>17457080

If University experience is the meat and potatoes of your resume, then focus on that. You just have to work with what you have. Put a little blurb about your school, like "Located 50 miles from Boston, Harvard University is a 4,000 student school that provided the unique opportunity for one to one teaching with several Nobel laureates, blah blah blah, graduate summa cum laude, blah blah blah, banged 28 girls over 4 years, blah blah"
>>
>>17457082

It's acceptable if you're in a fruity career like engineering or medicine. Now if you're making your manly UFC fighter/construction worker/FBI agent resume then by all means make it black & white and drab as fuck
>>
>>17457084
Sure, its OK, but are you impressed with it? Do you want to hire OP at your company?
>>
>>17457047
That's a fucking hideous resume.

t. professional resume writer
>>
>>17457099
>Put a little blurb about your school, like "Located 50 miles from Boston, Harvard University is a 4,000 student school that provided the unique opportunity for one to one teaching with several Nobel laureates, blah blah blah,
That is horrible advice
>>
>>17457158
>>17457164

Then post your idea of a good example you giant annoying faggot
>>
>>17457137
It doesn't matter how you format your resume... you don't really have a lot of experience. it's just gonna come down to sending out your resume to a lot places and getting a fortunate break.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.