[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swiss german

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 20160708_194509.jpg (865KB, 3264x1836px)
20160708_194509.jpg
865KB, 3264x1836px
Can someone who has learned swiss german and successfully integrated into swiss culture point me to the resources he used? I've mostly found books on german and from what I've read they're completely different languages with different pronunciation rules and grammar. Any other tips much appreciated
>>
I'm studying Japanese language in uni, but I can offer some universal language learning advice.

Immerse yourself in the language as much as possible. Watch movies, browse the internet, read books, talk to people. I made my internet homepage a Japanese news site have to look at Japanese everytime I want to browse the internet. The key to getting good at a language is not just practicing it, but making it a part of your daily life
>>
>>17456046
Seriously, just fuck off
>>
actual swiss german person from there speaking here. You can just talk germany's german here as a foreigner, nobody expects you to speak dialect (of which there are like 10 variations across the country anyway). Even germans living here for decades (supposedly the group that has it the easiest to learn the dialect) do an absolutely awful job at it.
And swiss german is spoken only, most people write in germany's german.

> I've read they're completely different languages with different pronunciation rules and grammar.
There's maybe a handful of small grammar things, like, we have no "real" past tense, (meaning you can't say "he memed", only "he has memed"), but that's by far the biggest difference. Pronunciation can be very different though, and we have quite a few words that only exist in the dialect. It's essentially like comparing scottish english to american english, maybe a bit more extreme. And again there are many regional differences. People from Bern or Zurich have trouble understanding people from Sion (mountainious area in the lower west of the country) when the guys from Sion go full hardmode.
The best way to learn it is to come here and listen to people speak it.

Have some music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGatIgXERI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xce-W9LWM44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hmVEFmF-pU
>>
>>17456732 is me

>>17456033
> the resources
no such thing.

> swiss culture
not sure. Switzerland is a very correct and on point country. If the train is late 5 minutes, people get pissed off.
Germans are also very direct compared to us. We recently had a german try to sell something to our local wind band (we got 1000CHF for attending an evening of advertising), and he was very agressive and direct in his salesmanship. Swiss people, at least those in the middle class, don't like that.
And as I said, very correct. Recycling stuff, don't make a fuss, don't bother others. Stuff like that. We have a word for very society conforming people, it's Bünzli. In accordance with that, people worship the culture that makes the stereotypes of traditional switzerland. You know, jodeling, clothes like pic related, alphorn and so on. Middle class adults have a romantizing relationship to that.
Of course this is all very generalizing, but I can't really think of a truly meaningful answer.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.