[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How old were you when you found a sense of direction in your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (38KB, 400x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 400x454px
How old were you when you found a sense of direction in your life? How did you find it? What led you to that point? How do you recommend someone sort their life out?
>>
>>17455434
20....sat down one and figured out my major. also id be lieing if i didnt say my ex made me realize how fun finance is.
>>
16. I felt caught up in the bustling world of school and preparations for my future but in the haze I was able to find myself and realize that my true passion was international culture and travel. I never wanted anything more. After my parents introduced me to international exploration, I was changed. I realized at 16 that my goal in life was to wander. If you want to sort your life out, look at every detail of your life individually: social life, career interest, education, health, motivation, entertainment. Avoid the overwhelming Gestalt perception of an insurmountable series of conflicts and obstacles in life. Take each moment as it comes without fear, and always be positive.
>>
>>17455434
I met people with whom I felt comfortable being myself. Basically made me realize it was ok to be the way I am
>>
I am 22 and still haven't, final year of college and I still feel like I am asleep waiting to wake up.
>>
>>17455468
OP here. Same with me mang, except I graduated at 21.
>>
i found a sense of direction at 14, it just turns out it was a really rough direction to go in.

im 26 now and im alright, but i still really havent even begun to figure anything out.
>>
>>17455434
Never ever
>>
>>17455434
Who is your mutual friend?
>>
>>17455434
ya, I went out and got a real job, not very romantic, but maybe ill be able to move up the ladder from entry, except im already getting ahead of myself as I start monday lol, backup plan is to sell some scribbled down html/css javascript on craigslist and call myself a webdev
>>
Work to live, don't live to work. I know that sounds corny and cliche; but a lot of times, a person's passion is not what they do for a living, but what they like to do to feel alive. If you see no passions for work, then get a job doing something you can tolerate, and then do what you live in your free time.
>>
19 was deppresed as fuck had virtuallly no friends and was doing badly in college, some Day i just stopped feeling like shit and tried to force myself into social situations my life improved some i dont have a lot of friends but at least i have something resembling social life now
>>
Someone on /adv/ told me what i should do and I still haven't started it because I've been holding it off and im scared ill fail because others doubt me
>>
File: HRH miniature.jpg (154KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
HRH miniature.jpg
154KB, 2048x1152px
>>17455434
I was 21. I had just attempted suicide, my father had caught me and dialed 911. I was sent to the hospital. Over the phone my father told me he was kicking me out and never wanted me in his house again. the year before my mother had kicked me out.

I spent 3 weeks in the hospital receiving therapy and finding government assistance and cheap housing to rent.

While in the hospital I spent many hours by myself, or in the common area with other mental patients, working on 3d puzzles. I believe I completed a few of the 3d puzzles, buildings and villas and such, before I realized "I think I want to become a civil engineer."

I'm in my last year now, I've been working nonstop or studying all the time. Nothing makes me more happy about life than the thought of being able to work on construction sites and do whatever I want in life.
>>
>>17455434
I met my boyfriend and he turned my life around. I realised I who I wanted to be and what I had to do to be that person.
Never met someone so inspiring before.
>>
>>17456465
I hope you live a happy and successful life anon.
>>17456468
>Tfw you will never make a girl feel this wah
>>
>>17455444
>20....sat down one and figured out my major
22 and still can't do this, fuck
>>
>>17456484
>>Tfw you will never make a girl feel this wah
He was 28 when we met, didn't start doing what he does till he was 26.
So there is still hope (I guess).
>>
I liked pot. I hate people. Grow pot for a living. Boom
>>
I've known what i wanna do for the rest of my life for as long as i can remember (am 24 now), which is art/graphic design/illustration stuff. I work a regular job, and study creative shit when i have the time, saving up money for studying.
I've realized you don't have to do what you love for a living, or as a job, while still being perfectly content with your life.
But you HAVE to realize whether you're actually good or not at what you want to do, or if you are actually willing to put all that time and effort into getting better at it.
But seriously, do what you love, and do what you're good at, and do it good. Sounds redundant, but if you don't want to settle for a less than mediocre life, fucking do it.
If you haven't found your passion, i promise you that you will if you at least put some effort into experiencing the world more. Join an organization, take a course/class in something, if you're a NEET learn something new, the fact that you have an internet connection opens up for endless possibilities.
Keep in mind that your direction might come a lot later in life. Life doesn't end after 30, you might find your thing when you're 60, and that's fine.
>>
>tfw feel crushed by the endless possibilities and can't find a passion at 23
>this also contributed in making me a dropout who works in retail and wants to kil himself
I think I finally understand what Tim Roth meant in that movie where he didn't want to leave his Ship. It doesn't help me though.
>>
>>17455434

20. Dropped out of college and bummed around until I went to trade school. Classes were more structured, I learned the life and death importance of safety protocols, how to do lots of practical shit for myself, and lot of my classmates were older and shared stories that gave my life more context.

In the end, I don't even work in the same field as I got my certification in and I'm going back to college, but I don't regret going to trade school for a second.
>>
>>17456679
>I'm going back to college
what are you gonna study? also how old are you now? kinda in a similar position except I worked instead of going to a trade school and it sucked...
>>
>How old were you when you found a sense of direction in your life?

>How did you find it?

I didn't want to be a loser anymore

>What led you to that point?

suicide attempt

>How do you recommend someone sort their life out?
Decide what YOU want out of life and the best way to go about getting it. If you don't know how to do it, learn. Start now and dont be afraid to fail.
>>
13... I bought the Evangelion DVDs off Amazon then and ended up moving to Japan permanently 8 years after that.
>>
bump for interest
>>
23, I had done pointless courses which pecked my interest but wouldn't really lead anywhere. Eventually ended up doing a degree and in my second year there was a module on accounts; at this time a friend got a job just doing some data entry for an accountancy practice and I asked if I could work there on a voluntary basis and in return get help with my studies.

The short of it is, after I was there for a few months I realised I was actually enjoying it and the boss started giving me more advanced things to do. I've now been there 5 years and have completed an accounting qualification and love what I do.

I'd never imagined I'd be working in this industry in a million years but it's just something I fell into. I suppose all I can say, is you never know what something might lead to, take a chance and try things out.
>>
>>17455434
I still haven't found it, and I am like 23 I think.
>>
>>17456615
>>17456865
>>17456869
what's up with all these 23 y/old guys with no purpose in life?
>>
>>17457076
It's a worry, I know a lot of people in this situation. My bf is one of them and he's 28
>>
Early 20's. I was working retail and had my "associate's degree". Had no idea why I was going to school other than that's just the way to go for your average American.

Decided I want to be surrounded by what I love, so I stayed in school, studied Japanese, and moved to Japan. Call me a weeb, but it's awesome to me. Also, easy to get laid.
>>
>>17457103
how long have you been living there as of now?
>>
>>17457076
No prospects in life, uncertain future, feelings of utter loneliness and meaninglessness etc.
>>
>>17457160
but what triggers all this stuff that not everyone feels? or what solves it? Is it really a purpose? And if so, is a purpose something you are lucky to find, or something you find when you stop feeling all that stuff?
It seems a very common question in this board and others, but I never saw a proper answer.
>>
>>17457217
its a problem that you get when all your basic needs are met. life is relatively easy now so we dont have to worry about getting food, shelter, or physical violence for the most part. im willing to bet starving kids in war torn whatever-stan arent worried about finding a purpose in their life past getting through the week.

so when this is all good we have to figure out something else to do. thats where all the question about purpose and meaning shows up. we live in an unnatural and disconnected way in the modern world.

this is my uneducated, unresearched and ignorant opinion anyway.
>>
>>17457258
How would you suggest to act in order to resolve it?
>>
>>17457287
i dont know, thats the big question.

the big picture goal for me at least is to leave your community or the world a better place than you found it. or at least to not make it worse.

there are lots of different ways to do that.
>>
>>17457313
I see, thanks
>>
You're not alone OP, I still haven't figured it out
>>
>>17458331
I hope it works out for you man.
>>
23. I was depressed and dropped out of a university degree I wasn't focussed on at 22. After a year of being stuck in casual/part time shitkicker jobs and not really doing much else I slowly started improving my life. First I started going to the gym and joining a local sports team. Secondly, I went to therapy to find some healthy strategies to deal with my anxiety/depression. I then chose to move out of home and back on campus to study the semester and a half of uni I didn't finish. I made a promise to myself that I would try my best to finish this semester no matter how bad my results were just to see if uni was the thing for me. I got really good results that semester and eventually finished the rest of my degree. It didn't take me that long to find a job because I got a connection to a job through a professor who also was a high up manager at a large organisation.

The main epiphany of this story for me is that being lost and feeling sorry for myself got me into this mess and doing the opposite of that is what got me out. Have a goal in life and hold yourself responsible for achieving it. If you make mistakes, learn from them instead of being down on yourself or blaming others.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.