[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I cope with the fact that once I graduate this year, I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

how do I cope with the fact that once I graduate this year, I'm forced to get a degree that will leave me with a middle class life, and wont allow me to travel and learn all the things id like to learn?

I can't sleep, and haven't been for the past 2 days. I'm so nervous on the rest of my life. I'm a top student, but even if I get into UPenn or Princeton, it won't change the fact that I'll never be able to just go learn all the instruments I can and have fun. Looks like I'm stuck with STEM too, which is fine, but It's not even what I like.

Real world sucks. Can I get some advice?
>>
Yeah, dont go to school, travel the world supporting yourself and learning musical instruments. Find a wife and settle where you want.

Fuck STEM and a 9-5 if that's not what you need.
>>
>>17455199
How can I travel if I'm stuck with a job? Even if I did leech off a significant other, they would be stuck working.

I considered a music shop, but those are obsolete now due to internet. Also, where can I get some sleep medication?
>>
There are a lot of jobs that allow for the flexibility of travel. Flight attendants have great deals on traveling, people who work at schools have summers off plus whatever other time the children have off, people who do freelance jobs can take time off whenever they want, some people have jobs writing about the places they travel, some people work in a different country for extended periods (teaching English or otherwise doing something that they're uniquely suited to offer) before moving on to another country. You can also travel very inexpensively if you're smart with your money.

If your goal is to travel frequently let it influence your lifestyle and what career path you pursue. But don't let it prevent you from getting one altogether, that's not reasonable at all.
>>
File: 1440189912922.gif (2MB, 444x424px) Image search: [Google]
1440189912922.gif
2MB, 444x424px
>>17455191

Take your life into your own hands.

Pretending like you don't have a choice is a cheap cop out. Either follow your dreams or don't. Its no one's fault but yours.
>>
>>17455240
There is no path. I cannot just take a path to becoming some celebrity sensation. Unless I magically meet the right people for the entertainment industry, I'm stuck.

How can anybody deal with this fact of life?

>>17455233
this is good advice, however, it's a hard, hard objective to make such interests the leading motive to my career
>>
>I'm forced to get a degree that will leave me with a middle class life, and wont allow me to travel and learn all the things id like to learn?

First of all, the only person forcing you is yourself.

Secondly, your attitude is very negative and you are using the word 'can't' a lot. You're shooting yourself in the foot here by ruling out anything and everything. Find reasons that you CAN do things.

Thirdly, you're in a great position. Imagine if you came from a poor and violent background, and the most you could hope for was working 50 hours a week in a fast food restaurant to literally cover your basic needs. Travelling is easy, if you look for ways to do things then you will find them, if you keep telling yourself you can't and that there's no way, well then that's your own fault.

I know so many people that are unhappy and bored with their lives. I don't even believe that you should 'do what you want' or 'do what you love', but I think being stuck in a job that isn't remotely challenging is a killer. I know a lot of people that have enough money to travel for a year or two that are to scared to make the jump.

Your life is what you make it, so don't make it a prison.
>>
>>17455233
>Teachers get summers off
kek. Yeah you also make only a tad more than a mcfats manager. Good luck being able to afford to travel on your time off. Protip, most teachers actually have to get a fucking summer job at mcfats to get by through the summer, unless they're married and can leech their spouses paychecks.
>>17455191
But OP,
>forced to get a degree
Kek by who? Yourself? idk why you're bitching. You chose this life. If you don't like your fucking degree then why did you choose it? You made your bed, now you gotta lie in it for a while. Get some cash going, then go back to school for the magical degree you think is going to give you the perfect life.
>>
>>17455252

>There is no path.

There is, you just don't have the fortitude to find it. When you want something you work for it, no matter how hard it is.

If you're bummed that the path to becoming a celebrity sensation is hard then boo fucking hoo.

Work hard for your goals. No one is interested in your excuses
>>
>>17455289
No, by the fucking government. If I want a job, I better get a degree. I haven't even applied yet. I don't think this magical degree is going to make it better. That's the whole point of this thread, I'm seeking advice
>>
>>17455289
Teachers make very good money, actually. Not starting out, but it builds quickly if they stay in the field. I work in a school, albeit I'm only a teacher aide. You don't need to work a summer job (the most common being camp, tutoring, or babysitting) if you don't want to, just budget well for your time off. But even if you do get a summer job as many choose to, there's still a week or two of time off in between summer camp ending and school starting and like I said, there are plenty of vacations besides summer vacation.
>>
>>17455191
Holy shit are you a high schooler? I think you're overthinking this too far. 4 years is plenty of time to learn and do things. You can definitely travel while pursuing a STEM degree especially if you get recommended for internships abroad and other programs. That requires some good grades and a visible initiative however, so that's for you to tackle. Of course, if you fuck around and pick up something else, like idk a second major like I did or commit yourself to a sport, you'll have to pass on some opportunities to make time. You can't have it all, OP, but that doesn't mean you only get none.
>>
>>17455191
>forced to get a degree that will leave me with a middle class life
consider yourself lucky
>>
>>17455191
Become a pro explorer. Get into a biologically or sociologically oriented major, and apply for expedition funding from the Royal Geographical Society or Nat Geo or some shit. Establish a thesis or a research goal and pitch it and become a full time explorer. Or save up about 4000 dollars and then peace the fuck out and hitchhike. IDK where you live but if its in Afro-Eurasia you can hitchhike almost anywhere without plane costs, and in the Americas you can hitchhike an equally vast and beautiful variety of places.
>>
>>17455447
I didn't mean it in an ungrateful way. I just don't want to follow the same guidelines are everyone else does. I cannot deal with the fact I will die just as everyone else and I couldn't had done the things I wished to have done. Doesn't that scare you?

I need counseling.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.