[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Assorted College Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6376.jpg (135KB, 791x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6376.jpg
135KB, 791x782px
K guys uni is starting for many anons very soon. Post advice that would help out with the next 4 years.
>>
>>17452265
Don't be afraid to talk with people in your dorm and randoms in tbe dining hall. They are as lost as you are. You'll get valuable social practice and potentially make friends.
>>
TALK TO PEOPLE

don't automatically buy the textbook. evaluate whether it actually is important. See if there are copies of it in the school library. if you do decide to buy it, look online for cheaper prices.
>>
join a club
>>
Join a fraternity, don't have a long term gf if you have even the slightest doubt that you could spend your whole life with her. Study, make sure to study. Don't forget to study. Set aside time to study.
>>
Take showers and get dressed everyday. Join clubs.

Make sure you know what you want to get a degree in, and make sure it's not a pointless degree.
>>
I'm going into my 3rd year and stupidly thought the freshman shit was a bunch of awkward icebreaking kid shit not worth my time.
Now I have no friends. Would it be weird for upperclassmen to try to mooch the incoming freshmen's "welcome" activities in a desperate attempt to make friends?

Also how do upperclassmen in my situation make friends, if classes/clubs aren't an option. Best I can ever manage through classes is the "Semester friend" where we're friendly for the semester but then you never see them again when the class is over. And my school doesn't have clubs. Wish I were joking, there are literally no student organizations outside greek row.
>>
File: 1470609186343.png (415KB, 1279x1697px) Image search: [Google]
1470609186343.png
415KB, 1279x1697px
>>17452265

This one is ok-ish. Easier to copy and paste for the usual generic adv questions.
>>
>>17452400
Same way you make friends in real life, having common interest.

I play guitar and a little bit of banjo and harmonica, I use that as an excuse to be outside in the quad.

I eat fruit outside everyday in the same spot, I use that as an excuse to make small talk with people.

>If you want more than a semester friend get their information and hang out with them outside of class and school
>>
I'm gonna transfer in to an actual college after my second year, will it be hard to make friends? I may or may not have friends from HS there depending on where I go.
>>
>>17452410
My interests/hobbies aren't exactly social though.
Whenever I ask for a contact they get weirded out though. Like "Class is over? Why do you want to talk to me outside of class?"
Like one dude I felt like I was actually kind of hitting it off with, we have the same personality type, he seems to genuinely think at least kindly of me, added him on fb. Occasional small talk. Never anything more. And I actually spent the whole year with him because we had a class together each semester.
idk maybe it's just my school or something but the kids here are very on edge about strangers. Like I watched some girl try to initiate small talk with some guy on the bus, and after she got off he turned to his buddy and said "What the fuck was that all about? Why was she asking so many weird questions? What the fuck did she want?"
All she asked was the usual shit like "Oh what's your major? Oh that's cool. How long you been here?" This wasn't the last time I'd see people like this too. Its like unless it was specifically arranged to be socially acceptable to approach strangers here, you're a freak of nature for doing it. Shit's weird.
>>
>>17452440
Are you from a small town? What's your hobbies?

Other than that a better bet would be to meet people outside of school through meetups, local music, etc

I am an engineering major but the only thing I'm really good at is conversation and being charismatic which makes me stand out within my peers since STEM is usually filled with weirdos - in my actual major I lag, but end up being welcomed just because of my personality. If you can, read or listen to some audio books on confidence and conversation
>>
>>17452451
I mean, to elaborate. I'm doing an extra math class thing that started this week, during lunch I invited 2 girls I barely know to hang out in a group situation and 3 more people into my engineering club (I'm a president). Most of them probably won't hang out, one or two do and that is one or two more connections I have.

Be confident and just talk to people for the sake of genuinely being interested and you can be anyone's friend

Say hi, actually smile, actually be excited to see someone.
>>
Is it weird to ask professors for old syllabuses if i can't decide what class to take?
>>
>>17452265
Live in the freshman dorms and if you aren't living in them, find excuses to go and/or join social clubs/sports
>>
>>17452451
Yeah its a little college in the middle of nowhere. Its got a really fucked population balance too, like it's 50% college students and 50% 50+ year olds. Like I hardly ever see any children or middle age people. I try to go to the bars sometimes, but the bars seem to be taken over by the old folk, while the clubs are taken by the younger crowd. But idk how anyone is supposed to have fun at clubs. Too loud to even hear yourself think, and if you're as white as me dancing is out of the question.
I don't usually get along with other women, which sucks because my field is a tacofest.
As for hobbies I like to sew and crochet, but lol the only knitting groups around here aren't exactly filled with college kids. Actually I'm pretty sure it's held at the nursing home.
I also like anime, and there are quite a few people here who seem to like anime, but they're all the most insufferable kind of weebs and I'm just simply not that invested. Like they go to class dressed as naruto characters, use "anime phrases" in grammatically incorrect Japanese peppered in with their English conversations, and even I want to beat them up and take their lunch money.
>>
>>17452522
This, but then get the fuck out of student housing as soon as possible because it's a worse scam than the books if you ask me. Do your freshman year in the dorms so that you can make friends and get used to campus, but after the 1st year leave. Absolute worst living conditions for top notch dollars, and they'll find a way to milk every last penny outta ya. Meal plans are even worse, get the cheapest one you can because you'd be an idiot not to. They'll give you a lean cuisine and charge you like you've got a prime rib at a pricy steak house.
At least at my school, I bought a fixer upper house for cheaper than 5 years in the dorms was gonna be. Now I'm renting out the spare rooms and actually fucking profiting on it.
>>
>>17452265
that freshman qt3.14 party girl you really wanna bang? Yeah she's gonna strung out and most likely failing by spring semester after a nonstop slew of parties and numerous, anonymous dicks.

don't feed into the freshman "I MUST PARTY/BE DRUNK EVERY NIGHT AND DAY" hype, you'll fuck up your shit.

also use condoms. Chlamydia was flying around my college campus from all that shit too.
>>
about to start my first semester and I'm turning 20 next month. Freshman housing was full because I registered ultra fucking late, so now I'm slotted to live in a single bedroom apartment on campus. Am I just fucked blue?
>>
>>17452265
Smoke LOTS of weed. Next to music and fine black women it's one of my all time favorite things.
>>
Never take Adderall recreationally, it's super addictive and will FUCK you up in the worst way.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.