[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are materialistic social media people actually happy and having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: yoloswag - Copy.jpg (199KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
yoloswag - Copy.jpg
199KB, 960x960px
I made alot of bad decisions in my life. Bad in a sense that they are very long term and they involve risks. That basically means I currently live like a peasant, i have no gf, no life, no friends, totally alone and if i had to guess - no one wants to be with me. Its fine with me and I accept it.

What is starting to get to me is social media. When I see people being "Happy" i realize my goal is happiness too, and they already have it. Do these ppl actually feel misery? does having a gf mean you are being loved? does having fake phony friends mean being better than alone? do they still feel like they need to struggle to move forward like I do? or do these kids working for Merryl Lynch have it made now. Just curious.
>>
>>17452141
They're lifestyle is pretty depressing and selfish OP. I've been in that world and met some incredibly materialistic, personality-less and self involved people. They're just plain awful. They're all friends with each other but don't really give a shit about one another, friends are just commodities and things to them.

It may look like you're missing out but you're not. I was in there some time ago and realized how miserable all that shit is. I'm happier with a close knit group of friends and a gf than I ever was with a bunch of those other douchebags.
>>
Think of it this way: if you were to present an extraordinarily curated and manipulable version of your life to your peers, which parts would you highlight? The sad and shitty parts? no dumbass

it all fake brah
>>
>>17452141
Bet his pupils are the size of saucers under those shades
>>
>>17452156

Yeah I felt the same before I gave up on changing myself to become that. But I wanted to ask here in case it was just envy that was clouding my judgement.
>>
>>17452172
It's envy man. Those people hardly noticed when one of their friends was gone and I assume they didn't even notice when I left too. You're better off finding some nice regular friends who will genuinely care about you.
>>
I'm not gonna lie, they are often happy.

That said, they are not always having a blast. The whole point of social media is that you post the good parts for everyone to see. They live for those moments. Every second of their job and time spent working out is to get to these photo moments to show off. It makes some people happy. Power to them I guess, but it doesn't make everyone happy
>>
>>17452141
Those photos are precisely timed and unnaturally created just for that shot. Meaning people are willing to grind and shove just to get their fake image into social media.

Most of these people convey a sense of being popular and happy but they are actually feeling the complete opposite. Happy people need not try and convince others they are happy. They need not other people's approval. They just live the good life.

You just gotta move. Do something. Anything. Find something new to do and challenge yourself. A person who lets the winds of life sway him without a goal is a fool.
>>
I used to be in that world. They are all highly narcissistic and care about appearance too much. I don't know if those people can really feel happiness per se. They are just desperately searching for the next party or thing that isn't boring and normal. They spend a lot of time partying. Getting drunk and doing shots all the time, desperately looking for someone to do desperate things with. I don't think any of them know what love is.they use each other too much. None of them even recognize/remember me in the street now and it's only been a year, that's the type of friendships they have.
>>
Yeah, everyone that is healthy, happy, and sociable is a fake bitch that's rotting away on the inside. Lol, stay mad brehs
>>
>>17452141
>When I see people being "Happy" i realize my goal is happiness too, and they already have it.

they just look that way.

btw, is that guy in the pic white?
>>
>>17453556
he's asian.
>>
>>17453554
How can we know if they don't eat 3 hamburgers in one meal, they are happy almost all the time and they have lots of friends who will be there for them when they are sad? We can't unless we know them really well.
>>
They sure have it easy & fun - that's what most of mammals desire.

Some do worse at these and then they tip fedora like me.

*tips fedora
>>
>That basically means I currently live like a peasant, i have no gf, no life, no friends, totally alone and if i had to guess - no one wants to be with me. Its fine with me and I accept it.

They have to be doing at least a little bit better than us.
>>
Eh, the people I met are usually just show-offs and lonely. I had been on parties, meeting people and all that shit without having to post it online all the time. That said, just focus on yourself, don't browse too much or you'll become one of them. Enjoy life, don't worry about what people share, it might or might not be their reality.
>>
File: 1470974466716.jpg (165KB, 811x811px) Image search: [Google]
1470974466716.jpg
165KB, 811x811px
>>17453554
You being this mad just proves it.

You think you're happy but really its all vanity. How many actually will have your back when times go bad? How many will stick around when you need help?

Vain people that only care about looking good on social media and see no problem getting hundreds of likes from strangers and having their life on display.
>>
nobody is happy all the time

stop thinking about other people's happiness and worry about your own
>>
>>17452141
>Are materialistic social media people actually happy and having a blast?
no.
they are as fucked up as you or i, they just cope with it differently- by attention seeking, posturing, and expending considerable time and resources to carefully craft their public image. they require validation from others to keep their negative thoughts at bay. i pity them, honestly. these behaviors are good indicators of people to avoid though, at least they have the decency to warn others, i guess.
>>
>>17452141

the problem here is that you equate social media with being materialistic or being happy. social media can showcase your happiness and your life, but it doesnt create your life or happiness.

>do these people actually feel misery

yes. and you do see them post about it as well. you just dont think about it cuz for every one sad that they post there are a hundred of others having fun.

>does having a gf mean you are being loved

not necessarilly. it can but it has to be a girl who actually likes you.

>does having fake phone friends mean being better htan alone

you make too many assumptions. people without social media still have fake friends. having social media may mean you have facebook 'friends' but it doesnt stop you from having real friends that you are close to.

>do they still feel like they need to struggle to move forward

we all do. but no one is broadcasting about the struggle, not often. the difference is most people just accept that life has challenges and theyh ave to work to face those challenges. it doesnt matter if they lose or fail becuase they will try something else. they wait until they fail to decide the plan of action.

yo uare inyour own head, not sharing these thoughts with anoyne but 4chan and wondering why no one else has them... asi f they arent doing the same thing. hiding it, and sharing it anonymously or with a select few.
>>
>>17452141
when I see pics like this I usually think "thank god I'm not there right now". Awful experience, even when drunk. Different strokes for different folks, or whatever it's called.

the questions in the second paragraph are genuinely way too advanced for people like that. Those *never* come up for them.
Also, while they may look successful and happy and so on, those are the kind of people that cannot maintain an interesting discussion on any topic for longer than 5 minutes. They don't have any interesting out-of-the-norm viewpoints or thoughts, they don't question the way things work in this world, they probably think either Trump/Hillary is a legitimate presidential candidate. Or rather, that's what I'd assume, and you could color me surprised if it was different. Truly boring people.

>>17454442
this
>>
>>17454506

thats an awful lot of generalizations for people who just post a picture of themselves at a party
>>
>>17452141
Most people only post the best of their times on social media so it looks like they have this great life when it reality it's nothing like that
>>
>>17452141
itt: self-involved and insecure shut-ins shit talking happy, content, and confident people sharing their lives.
>>
>>17455495
i guess you missed the posters that have lived like that and threw in their two cents huh?
>>
OP, people put an image on to social media. You don't put "Today I ruined my fucking underwear because I thought I was going to fart and it wasn't a fart at all" when you're trying to show your happy life on social media.
STOP trying to compare yourself to others on social media. Nothing about that bullshit reflects reality. Reality is, we've all accidentally shit ourselves.
People ARE often having fun when they put shit online. Fact is, the things that make you happy might not make other people happy. Some assholes get hard at being at a club meeting people. Others will hate it. I would hate it.
People, especially young people will equate appearing happy in social media with being happy in life. The fact is, for some people, that is one and the same thing. Others, no.
>>
>>17452141
Material success does make some people genuinely happy, at least in the short term. I knew people at college who were incredibly money-focused, and they seemed fine. I suspect they may be prone to having mid-life crises in 20 years time, though.
>>
I think it's fair to say that,

One's ideas that are taken from social media are subjective, and that social media in the first place is a highly selective and precise lifestyle catalogue.

That is to say, pictures don't have a bearing on how the person in the pictures actually feels.

>does having a gf mean you are being loved?

No, and you can feel less loved with a gf than without.

>does having fake phony friends mean being better than alone?

It depends, do you want meaningful friendships, or do you want superficial ones? I'd rather my integrity but that's my choice.

>do they still feel like they need to struggle to move forward like I do?

Again, there's no way to say they all do or don't. Some of them do, some of them don't, actually it doesn't really matter.

tl;dr - images are highly misleading (look at advertising for example), don't judge people by their social media, and don't judge yourself by other people's social media.

Or just go outside.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.