[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French or Arabic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: orientalism.jpg (176KB, 1440x1912px) Image search: [Google]
orientalism.jpg
176KB, 1440x1912px
So I'll have to make the decision which language I'll want to learn while in college: French or Arabic.

French is obviously more international than Arabic, and even many Arabs speak French. I've also already know Spanish, so I'm knowledgable over Romance language systems (i.e. sentence structure, grammar, etc.), so it shouldn't be too difficult. I could also apply for study abroad programs to France, Mauritius, etc. However, there is a plethora of people who can speak French so looking for jobs outside the US might put odds against me.

As for Arabic, I have many Arab friends and I am involved with Arab movements (Baath and Polisario). Few non-Arabs know Arabic, so this will place me at a higher tier. However, Arabic will be much harder and take a longer time to learn. Also, the countries which use the dialect I wish to learn are somewhat disastrous right now.

I could take Arabic in college and learn France at some institution, but that would cost a lot.

TL;DR Do I learn the easy but generic French or the painful but eternally rewarding Arabic?
>>
Learn Arabic, if Hillary wins Arabs will take over. If Trump wins you're going home and you'll need to speak the language.

OR

Learn a fucking programming language
>>
>>17452079
>Learn a fucking programming language
Not everyone is predisposed to this you angry autist.
>>
>>17452090
Im actually not autistic. Im not angry, getting amped up to work out in a half hour.

Im going to vote for Trump though.

French language will be dead soon anyway, muslims going to take over Europe in next 10 years, so learn arabic. Not good for the USA though, we will be the last Western Nation standing against Islam.
>>
File: pol new furfags.png (78KB, 1306x354px) Image search: [Google]
pol new furfags.png
78KB, 1306x354px
>>17452099
Gee, it's like there's no specific board for you to post this stuff.
>>
>>17452067

Almost all moslem are taught a little Arabic due to koran school

that's 2 billion people you can rudimentarily communicate with.

Also, while it's hard to see right now, plenty of development potential exists in the Middle-East, and you could also go to one of the sheidoms for easy money
>>
>>17452270
>sheidoms
Lol I should have mentioned I'm opposed to doing this. I could get all hippy, but I'm just gonna say I've spent years around Baathists and the like. Also, I plan on learning Levant dialect and IIRC the Gulf sheikdoms have a different dialect.

Thank you for your serious answer.
>>
bump pls no bully
>>
>>17452067
they'd both be great.

interestingly enough im having a similar choice between learning japanese or sanskrit. japanese is a cool language and i dig japan its fun and interesting etc...but sanskrit has an incredible history and is just fascinating

in the end ive chosen sanskrit for now, because it would be totally novel and it would open a lot of really cool doors, but nothing wrong with going the other route

not sure if that helps, but i think you cant go wrong

also - is there some way you can try them both out for a bit first? might make it easier
>>
>>17452583
>is there some way you can try them both out for a bit first?
My concern with this is confusion. Of course, they are two extremely different languages. However, laying them both on my brain at once might be too much. Then again, it probably won't take me too long to learn French and Arabic courses probably won't get real until after a year or so. Thus, I could get deep into French while going over the basics in Arabic.

The only problem is money. Anyways, thanks for the idea! And good luck with your language learning too! I hear Sanskrit and Urdu are mutually intelligible, so there you go.

Also, what is your desire for learning Sanskrit and Japanese?
>>
>>17452608
well im interested in sanskrit b/c im interested in the classic hindu texts which were written using it...and also im interesting that its so different and archaic its like learning an alien language or something

honestly japanese just sounds like fun, i dig japan, i dig japanese chicks etc.

one thing i did was take a trip to the library and got out a basic intro to japanese/ intro to sanskrit book and had a look at them, helped to give me a better idea and its no money etc.
>>
>>17452639
>one thing i did was take a trip to the library and got out a basic intro to japanese/ intro to sanskrit book and had a look at them, helped to give me a better idea and its no money etc.
That's a good idea!

Good luck pham.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.