[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Alright, so I graduated high school a year ago and now I'm applying for colleges next year. I know that I want to be a musician later in life, and I don't want to major in an art. What's the best option for me to major in? The career associated with the major should be something with low enough hours that I can be a musician on the side.
>Pic unrelated
>>
No need to decide right now. Spend the first couple semesters exploring until you find something that truly interests you. Any career path will allow you at least some time to pursue your hobbies (with the exception of, idk, finance or medicine or something)
>>
>>17452072
I know I still have some time, I'm just asking so that I know a few options which I can whittle down to one that I like the most.
>>
>>17452091
Hm, I get what you're asking, I think it's just that the relationship between college major and later career/hours per week is probably more indirect than you think. That is to say, barring a few very specific majors, most degrees can lead to a wide variety of jobs. An English major, for example, could end up with a 9-5 in some office, or as a professor (which, if you manage to get established/tenure, tends to have fucking great hours), or writing clickbait part-time (like a lot of my classmates lol). Especially in the current job market, in which millennials are forced more and more into part-time/contract work, I wouldn't worry about being *too* employed, so to speak. Rather, study something you're genuinely interested in, so that you'll be able to enjoy both your time working and playing music.
>>
>>17452128
*And, I forgot to add, the reason I gave the first reply about "exploring", etc. is because there is (trust me on this) NO way of knowing whether you'll like or be good at a certain major/career without taking a few courses in that field. I've seen it happen to virtually all of my friends freshman and sophomore year, as well as myself. (Almost) NOBODY ends up majoring in what they think they're going to major in when they're entering college. So, there's not much point in thinking about it now, though I know your feel re: wanting to have a sense of certainty about your path.
>>
>>17452142
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this stuff in mind. Good shit, my man.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.