[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

unemployment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 80281080.jpg (42KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
80281080.jpg
42KB, 780x780px
>Have a Master's degree.
>Unemployed for 7 months and living with my parents after putting out hundreds of job applications.
>Only 3 phone interviews so far, 2 are unresponsive now and the third contacted me and said they want to hire me but they can't until their corporate hiring freeze is lifted.
>My parents are pressuring me to join the military, but I really don't want to do it, since I won't be out of it until I'm almost 30 and it really shouldn't be this fucking difficult to get my life started.

So what should I do? Just keep trying to hold out until I get a job? Bite the bullet and join the military? Literally bite the bullet and end it?

This whole thing makes me depressed which makes it tougher to find a job of course.
>>
The military isn't bad especially if you go Air Force or Navy. And plus you got a masters degree so you have a shot at being an officer.
>>
>>17451169
Country, field of study, GPA and job prospects. Can't help you like that.
>>
I'm in my early 30s with a Master's degree. I wanted to teach at a community college, but it's hard to get in and now I'm a high school substitute. I want to earn my credentials to teach high school but I don't really feel like becoming a teacher right now so I hope to enlist and serve for a while.
>>
>>17451186
More than a shot, you'll be an officer even with just a bachelors
>>
>>17451188

United States.

Bachelor's was in Psychology. Recently got a Master's in Logistics and Supply Chain Management because I thought it would help me get a job.

GPA is a 3.5 for both degrees.

Job prospects were for analyst positions at a couple different companies.

But now that I think they're not working out considering joining the Navy.
>>
>>17451519
Look up jobs in Dallas. My dad was VP of HR for a construction supply company, and pretty much all he did was manage the hiring of supply chain managers. Was always out at schools recruiting for them.

Dallas has a fuckton of jobs. Check out the waters there and see what bites.
>>
>>17451169

If you go military be careful about what you tell them.

Remember, you are government property too.
>>
File: titan%20uranus.jpg (34KB, 492x328px)
titan%20uranus.jpg
34KB, 492x328px
>>17451519

That's solid. Well, the Master's is. You have a BS in bologna, but that's OK. I've got a BS and an MS that I don't need to use in my career, either, though I do so as a hobby.

If you need a career that gives you lots of free time and good pay with stability, working on boats and ships is decent. I quit my job as a neuroscientist to paint in the engine room of an oil tanker, and I'm a captain now, almost 20 years later. I am home 120-180 days a year with my family, and it only takes a couple of years to get your salary over 6 figures.

Just a thought. Vocational jobs need smart folks too, and the fact is, I didn't even realize how much of a pussy I became between college and grad school, and humble, honest work was good to fix that.
I'm certainly happier than my peers, who, in their early-mid 40's, are mostly adjunct instructors at good colleges making shit pay with no hope of a permanent job, or working corporate wage-slave admin work for applied science companies, all for relatively shit pay. I mean, the guy who helps the steward make my breakfast on the boat makes more money than 90% of most of the folks I grew up with who got doctorates.
>>
>>17451538

I like the idea of working aboard ship.

How do I go about finding a job like that? Also, what will the pay be like starting out?

>>17451521

Alright this is going to sound really bitchy, but I've been avoiding Dallas specifically in my job search because my ex (the big one, we were engaged) live in Dallas with her new boyfriend.
Yeah, I know it's a gigantic city and we'd probably never run into each other, and yeah, I know I shouldn't really consider it a problem anyway but I've got some bad memories there and I'd rather not live there if I can help it.

Right now I'm living in the New Orleans suburbs with my parents.
>>
>>17451519

You fucked up right from the get go.

Psychology was/is and always will be a oversaturated field of study.

Plus you don't even have your doctorates yet.

As for business, Logistics and Supply Chain Management is a good degree but at this point most major companies that need excellent logistics (Amazon, Walmart, etc.) already have amazing people doing those jobs.

It's all a numbers game with business.

I'm majoring in Business Data Analytics; mostly computer shit to acquire and sort the data but also has a good deal of accounting, finance, economics, programming and a few others thing that was vital to business.

It's a very in-demand and well rounded degree.

My 2nd major is in accounting because nobody wants to be an accountant.

I already have companies fighting to give me internships for when I graduate this Spring.

Chin up, comrade; things could always be worse.

Also, /biz/ could help you more than /adv/ with business related degrees and such
>>
>>17451538
>I quit my job as a neuroscientist to paint in the engine room of an oil tanker, and I'm a captain now

Sounds like a tall story to me.
>>
Go do general labor at a construction site or go to a staffing agency and load trucks at a warehouse or assemble shit at a factory. It's better than sitting on your ass for another 7 months
>>
>>17451660

Have you tried posting in /biz/ before? All they ever do is shit all over people and don't give any practical advice.
>>
File: 1404664388564.jpg (56KB, 500x686px)
1404664388564.jpg
56KB, 500x686px
>>17451169
>hundreds of job applications.
That better be at least 500 applications m8. Should be sending out at least 100 applications MINIMUM every month, especially if you don't have to do bullshit cover letters. It's a numbers game and you only need to win once. Use your university career resources too. I got a lot more responses from their student only listing than using shit like Indeed.com, etc. Also, relocate if you need to. If you're thinking about the military, you better keep relocation on the table too.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.