[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Off to NYC I go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: new-york1_1720291i.jpg (92KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
new-york1_1720291i.jpg
92KB, 620x413px
>18
>Around 12k $ in cash
>Some uncle lives in north carolina so I have visa
>4th year of high school, have yet to finish

This is my current situation. Due to family issues I'm thinking of just quitting because I wanna start my life in the US.
I'd love to work as a videographer, I will do all that's necessary to make it happen, and eventually I want to become a DoP.

I have the equipment, some cash, and approval (mostly) from the family. How do I go about this? The only thing I feel like is gonna hurt me is the fact that I effectively didn't finish high school. I have been studying electronics for three years and I technically need two more until I have a diploma. Luckily though you don't /really/ need a diploma for the kind of work I want to do.

I'm mostly curious about where to live, and how to make sure my cash lasts as long as possible in nyc, which I know it's fuckexpensive. Any /adv/ices?
>>
>>17450644
Get your GED before coming, you'll need a day job to support yourself since NYC is expensive as fuck, and you can't get a job without a GED. That 12 grand won't last you 6 months.
>>
>>17450678

How valuable is a "ged" taken in my country (Italy) over say something that you can do there? Is there any way to make take a "fixup school" or something that allows me to get one quickly, without wasting two more years of my life in this country?
>>
>>17450692
Oh nvm I misread your situation I thought you were in North Carolina. You're living in another country?
>>
>>17450830
I am currently living in Italy, and I wanna move to NYC.

Under normal circumstances afaik I can't because I don't have a visa, but since I have this uncle that lives there I can "use" him to get my visa since i have a relative in the country.
>>
>>17450851
I'm afraid it doesn't really work that way, you can only get a green card from a relative if you're their spouse, sibling, or child.

Sorry but it's just not realistic. You have an EU passport though, so take advantage of this and move somewhere better within that union.
>>
>>17450851

Where in Italy?
>>
If you don't have a GED they won't even hire you as a waiter, which you will have to do from 6 am - 8 pm everyday just to afford a 325 sq ft studio apartment which you will share with 4 other men that costs 6k a month. Wish I was joking.
>>
OP here

Genuinely curious now, aside from getting hired, how the FUCK is someone supposed to get into the country legally?

Like, the place is literally full of chinese, mexicans, indios and whatever and you honestly expect me to believe that those got it legally, or by following the rules?
>>
>>17451049

I mean, I'm sure Chinese, Indians, and other people overstay visas illegally.

But for Mexicans it's easy, they just run across the border. That's why Trump wants to build a wall along our border.

The reason legal immigration is difficult is because there is so fucking many people trying to come here.
>>
>>17451067
So am I the one supposoed to be screwed because I try to do things right and legally?

Anyways, I stick to my point. Just like the visa waiver program I didn't hear before (the one where you can travel from select countries to u.s without a visa and stay there for vacation) I'm sure there are loopholes or special procedures to allow me to go there. Otherwise that country would be a pure 100% American-only land where every immigrant is kicked in the ass for not following strict ruling, and we all know this is not true.
>>
>>17451081

You're not getting screwed. I mean, you CAN legally immigrate here. It's just a long process because there is so many fucking people trying to come in. You probably don't see it in the news over there, but we have a real problem with immigration.

we have a lot of political bullshit going on. The government is taking tons of kebabs in because "we must help the refugees!!" Bullshit. And then Mexicans and other Hispanics are flooding in from the south. It's just a overload of immigrants all at the same time.
>>
>>17451097
>we have a real problem with immigration
We are the joke of Europe, and when it comes to immigration, we are literally a shore away from Africa and all the morocco scum.

>I CAN legally immigrate here
Say I can get a diploma in a short amount of time, what next? Can I still leech off my uncle or is there any other way?

Also are mexicans and hispanics literally allowed to walk the border and chill in murica? Can't believe that.
>>
>>17451110

I've been to Italy before, beautiful country. I'm actually going to be vacationing there next month. If you're in the Veneto area, maybe we could meet up and chill.

But, I'm not sure anon. Here is the link tho with all the information

https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/get-green-card

And the Mexicans and shit run across the border. The border is sooo fucking big it's impossible for Border Patrol to catch everyone. That's why Trump wants to build the wall. It's just so fucking many run the border and move across the US it's impossible to track them. If they get caught, they are suppose to be deported. But our fucking leaders like the Mexican illegals because it helps them with votes. Such bullshit. People don't realize exactly how large the US is geographically speaking. It's near impossible to track once they cross the line.
>>
>>17451141
It's a beautiful country for those who can appreciate it. Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I don't like it. I like skyscrapers, modern civilization, and overall modern city landscapes. Those who like classical art and beautiful places fall in love with this country. living in it though, a completely different thing.
>>
>>17451155

That's understandable. moving abroad is hard man. I think that's why a lot of Eastern European women try to find American men on Interpals.net and try to get married so they can immigrate.

I mean, you could find a American girl and marry her? You're Italian, American girls will love you
>>
>>17451081
No need to get indignant, if you're not an EU citizen it's even harder to move from America to Italy, basically impossible to get a work permit since jobs are already scarce. Yet how many refugees are you taking in simply because of geography? It's the same with us and Mexico, not really much we can do about it. Although even with all the terrible problems they've had with the gang wars the illegal immigration rate is the lowest it's been since 2003.

>>17451097
You really think we shouldn't be doing anything to help the Syrian refugees? I was very critical of what Germany did, since you have no idea who these people are, but I feel like we're helping in the right way by only taking people from refugee camps after our intelligence service has vetted them and their families for ties to jihadists. I know it's easy to just throw up your hands and say it's not our problem, and as far as fighting the war I generally agree, but people are dying every day over there. Set aside your LE REMOVE KEBAB XD meme for 5 seconds and think about this. Those are real people, we have to do something to help.
>>
>>17451227
>we have to do something to help

Yeah, I would gladly volunteer to purge the xenos from my homeland
>>
Stay where you are. NYC doesn't need another person without complete education who is chasing some dream(which is fair for you to want). If you really have passion for it do it where you are..be different. Why would you want to come here anyways.
>2k for shit apartment in crime ridden neighborhood
>Everything is shit and expensive.
>Transport is great...just get used to bums, the >Chinese who will steal your seat god forbid you shift a coupe inches .
>Taxi cabs who think they are Euro posh blowing red lights and nailing cyclists.
>Working a shit retail/food job because that's literally all that's here unless you have 1.5 million years of exp in some shit field dominated by the first wave of pretentious hipsters.

Its not all that bad...but its mostly bad. Most real NY'ers got out when they could and commute now...I would recommend the same.
>>
>>17451110
>Also are mexicans and hispanics literally allowed to walk the border and chill in murica?
Not really no. Being in the us without documents is a crime so if they go to the police they'll be deported and blacklisted. This means they can't go to police if they're the victim of a crime, they can't demand legally required wages, working conditions or even workplace safety because who can they report it to? They can't get any government assistance for job placement or programs for children. They can't get health insurance so they don't have a doctor and Many easily treated conditions fester and become debilitating.

Many illegals are killed each year in workplace accidents that are never even investigated.
>>
>>17451227

You know how when you get on a airplane and watch the safety video it says "If there is a instance in which we lose cabin pressure, oxygen masks will be deployed from the overhead compartments. Make sure to place the mask around your nose and mouth, and tighten the strap behind your head to secure it in place. MAKE SURE TO SECURE YOUR MASK FIRST BEFORE ASSISTING OTHERS. Don't worry, if the oxygen bag doesn't inflate, oxygen is flowing!"

We need to help ourselves before we continue to help others. We've been doing shit for other countries for so long that we are dying from the inside out. Why should we worry about taking others in who we can't even properly vet first of all, when we had homeless Americans on our streets, and high unemployment? We have people getting welfare for nothing and illegal immigrants getting free shit.

We have to take care of ourselves before we can help others
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 480x270px
>>17451233
>>
>>17451238
No they wont that's not how it works.
>>
>>17451238

What are sanctuary cities..

What is Free health care for undocumented immigrants..

What is amnesty..
>>
>>17451239
First of all calm down, America isn't a crashing airplane and it's more than ridiculous to use such an analogy.

Your post is so full of genuine misinformation and actual ignorance I don't know how you got to this.

Unemployment is not high, in fact it's the lowest it's been in decades. We can actually vet these people, the CIA is more than up to the task. Welfare as you think of it (free money for not working) was completely eliminated by Clinton in the 90s, we haven't had it for over 20 years. And what "free shit" are the illegals getting exactly?

America has real problems, don't get me wrong. The gap between rich and poor, declining real wages, and illegal immigration are real problems and most disturbingly they only seem to be getting worse. But when we take on a humanitarian mission like helping the refugees it shows to the world that America is a force for good, not just a force for making a few elites disgracefully wealthy.
>>
>>17451238
I've personally seen them government assistance for children. It's pathetic that the government allows them to take from our country when they technically don't even exist in the US.
>>
>>17451276

"I want to drink Hillary Clinton's nectar"-
You
>>
op here

>>17451235
>NYC doesn't need another person without complete education who is chasing some dream(which is fair for you to want).
Isn't that what America is for. You don't decide what a city needs and you don't decide for others, sorry.

>If you really have passion for it do it where you are..be different.
You have no clue how Italy is. Here being jobless, and living with parents up until you're 30 (when you can inherit the house and be a bumfuck until you die) is normal. I just booked a 7 days trip to Tokyo, and when I told family and friends they looked at me like I told them I was planning to go on the Moon. This country is dying, if not dead, and I don't want any part of it. If you really want me to be a special snowflake, think about this: I'm already planning to move from here, that makes me different than most of the population of this shithole already.

>Everything is shit and expensive.
Subjective

>Transport, Taxi
It's roughly the same here too. There are literally morocco cancer who camps in front of those billboards where you can see your time of departure/arrival, pretending to be helping you and asking you for coffee, they even chase you subtly until you shake them off.
As of Taxi, they are fuckexpensive, but a good service overall.

>>Working a shit retail/food job because that's literally all that's here unless you have 1.5 million years of exp in some shit field dominated by the first wave of pretentious hipsters.
Subjective as well, perhaps I will end up working a job like that, that's part of the experience I guess. Most people would just quit just at the thought of it, but you're wrong if you think I would for such a thing. Casey Neistat (to name one) did the same thing.
>>
Sounds like an amazing experience, OP. You'll have the time of your life.

Here are my warmings:
Finish your High school or get a GWD first. No, there isn't some massive benifit but you'll be happy you did.
Video work is hard to get. I have a friend who's main gig is diving to Vegas and filming body building competitions. It's irregular work so he has a lot of time off but not much money. He lives with about 6 other people to save on rent.
NYC is one of the most expensive places to live.

As long as you plan ahead you'll be fine but you can't live in Manhattan with no work and no money.
>>
>>17451359

Americans like Italians :)
>>
>>17451383
They don't like italians who eats lotsa spaghetti

>>17451365
What's the cheapest burough (?) to live, perhaps one not filled with criminals
>>
>>17451332
This is it folks, this right here is the exact problem with American politics. I made absolutely no mention of Clinton. You saw arguments you had no immediate answer to but so instead of learning more about the issues so you could engage intelligently, instead of maybe noticing that if you can't refute a point perhaps your preconceived notions might be wrong, you just said he's clearly one of THEM so I don't need to listen to him.
>>
>>17451359
If things really are that bad don't abandon your homeland and deprive it of another motivated individual. That ensures things will never get better.
>>
>>17451405
The Bronx is the cheapest, there are some rough areas in the southern part but don't buy the hype, I've lived there and so long as you have some street sense trouble is always avoidable.
>>
>>17451429
It's also worth noting that each borough is comparable to a major European city so it's huge with tons of extremely varied neighborhoods. The main character of the Bronx is its many different immigrant neighborhoods that provide an incredible variety of great ethnic foods.
>>
File: image.png (63KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
63KB, 1136x640px
>>17451422
>>
>>17451456
Was referring to bill not hill.
>>
>>17451466

They are all apart of the same Dynasty
>>
NYC is a shithole. Don't move here. I say that as a native who has lived here for over 30 years. The 1990s was its best decade; not too expensive, not too crime ridden, and nice people.

Now the place is too fucking expensive. It's just a playground for rich people. Ever increasing rents have forced all of the businesses and people, that made people want to live here in the first place, to leave the city. Everything is just a chain store and a carbon copy of some current trendy national business.

All that gentrification has left the city with a bunch of pretentious fuckheads who try to act like they've been living here for ages. Also, even though they come from money, they'll try to pretend like they don't come from a rich family and they're just some average joe/jane that's struggling to make it.

Basically, everything (movies/tv/pictures) that made people on the outside looking in go "New York looks fucking awesome!" and fantasize themselves living here, is not true.

There's also fucks who, when you point out how expensive it is, they will say some shit like "But there's so much to do." Yeah, that is true. There are a ridiculous amount of places to see, places to eat, activities to do, and classes to take, HOWEVER, unless you have a decent paying gig, all of your money will be going to rent/food/transportation and you won't have anything left to enjoy what the city offers.

Unless you're a CPA, business/finance guy, or programmer/developer, your work life balance will be shit.

To give you an example, when my parents were getting divorce, my mom's lawyer (who runs her own practice) wanted to know where all of my dad's money was because, to quote her, "Where are you hiding your money? I can't even afford a house in Brooklyn. I live in a shoebox on Staten Island."
>>
Op here

>>17451425
I don't believe that a single individual like me can make a difference about something as big as Italy's crisis.

>>17451429
>>17451442
Thank you

>>17451546
I suppose that everywhere is rough, NYC lives up to the hype and I heard from multiple sources that if you make it, you won't be sorry for it.

I'm going tonthe city for 2-3 days anyways in early september. If I love it, then I'll move forward with my plan. If I don't, we'll see.
>>
>>17451546
those are some extreme nostalgia goggles you got there anon, street crime was a huge problem in the 90's, and gentrification already existed you just didn't notice it. You're dead wrong about everything just being a chain store, travel the country a bit and you'll see just how pathetic other cities are compared to NYC.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.