[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop thinking about my love life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1447453262273.png (573KB, 653x711px) Image search: [Google]
1447453262273.png
573KB, 653x711px
I've been single for about 2.5 years now. It is really bothering me. I find myself constantly thinking about the fact that I am not in a relationship, which inevitably leads to self-deprecating thoughts eg "I am ugly", "no-one will ever love me", "I will be alone forever", etc. This leads me to feeling suicidal.

I have a job, go to university, spend my off time playing games and watching videos, pretty normal for someone I age I think. But I'm starting to have trouble concentrating on my university tasks because I can't stop myself from thinking how much more I would be enjoying life if I had someone with whom to share it. As it is, I feel like things are just happening and I'm along for the ride. At best, when something grabs my attention, I am distracted from these thoughts for the duration of the task or activity, and afterwards when I am able to think again, I always start thinking about how lonely I am.

What can I do to stop thinking this way? It wouldn't even bother me as much that I thought this way if I could think about other things when it is required of me. But I really can't focus lately.
>>
Find a new hobby or passion. Branch out of your usual routine and do something different. I'm not saying you should quit playing games or watching videos, but look for something you haven't tried before to do also. Learn to draw, learn an instrument, get into a fitness routine, study a new language, etc. You may not find it right away, but keep trying new things until something clicks. I've always felt invigorated and energized whenever I discover a new interest or passion. That feeling carries over into other aspects of your life as well. You'll feel better about yourself.
>>
>>17446378
You sound like a greedy nigger, at least you have had love before. I've been single all my life. Stop being so entitled, nigger.
>>
>>17446378
There is no escape I hope you know this
>>
>>17446394
Between my job and my (relatively full) university schedule, I don't have enough time to seriously devote to something like that. I only play games and watch videos because they fit in the time that I have.

>>17446395
I regret my first relationship because it was too fast and I knew that it wasn't going to last because we wanted different things from life but I wanted experience so I did things I don't think I should have done. Also, the suggestion that because your life is worse means that my problems are irrelevant is fallacious; you should be grateful that you live your loveless existence because at least you aren't starving or disabled. Why don't you stop being so entitled?
>>
File: おとのこ.png (116KB, 193x282px) Image search: [Google]
おとのこ.png
116KB, 193x282px
>>17446416
>you should be grateful that you live your loveless existence because at least you aren't starving or disabled. Why don't you stop being so entitled?
>calls my argument fallacious
>proceeds to resort to fallacies
nigger, please. i hope you never experience another meaningful relationship for as long as you live.
>>
>>17446427
I was using an example of your reasoning to show you why what you said was stupid. The fact that you're so defensive suggests to me that you are insecure about yourself. Maybe you should acquire a skill or talent, and you won't feel the need to belittle others in order to make yourself feel better?
>>
>>17446416
I know I said I wasn't going to tell you to stop playing games or watching videos, but maybe you could take a break from at least one of those things and fill that time in with something else. It doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, just so long as it's something that shakes up your status quo. If you don't already, try cooking. You can easily justify that time to yourself and you'll feel accomplished with your results.

Are these intense lonely feelings a recent thing?

I just don't want to suggest diving into a relationship. Right now it sounds like you have a dependency and that's not for the best.
>>
>>17446446
Also you can incorporate a new interest into watching videos. There are tons of tutorial videos on YouTube. You could use those to learn a new skill/hobby in the same time you spend watching videos.
>>
File: 99999.png (318KB, 568x339px) Image search: [Google]
99999.png
318KB, 568x339px
>>17446442
I'm in University for CS and I'm going on a full ride. My life, aside from the love aspect, could literally not be any better.
>>
>>17446446
No, I've virtually always felt this way. Before I met my first girlfriend I felt these feelings, and now that she is gone they have returned. It's just that more recently (within the last 6 months or so) they have become more distracting, such that focusing on other things in my life is more difficult. It's becoming unbearable.

I am just looking for companionship. I want someone with whom to share things, with whom to go through life. I want to build something strong and lasting, and I feel that lacking this makes my life tedious and dull.

I actually quite like cooking, but it's hard to find the time to look at recipes, so mostly when I cook, I cook the few things I know how to make a slightly different way, tweaking the recipes in my head.

>>17446452
Yeah, me too; The difference is, I don't feel the need to tell others that their experiences are irrelevant or worthless because I am worse off than them.
>>
>>17446378
You are asking: How do I stop a primal human desire. (not disclosed to JUST humans either)

the answer: It's a primal human desire within Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It's why you were born, its why we exist.
>>
>>17446462
I have to say, this isn't very reassuring. You are suggesting that the only way I'll find relief from these feelings is by stopping what I'm doing and looking for a relationship. That means I'll fail my course and lose my job, both of which will leave me in a much worse position. I want tactics for ignoring these feelings when they come so I can focus on things which are more important, not for being rid of them. I understand their purpose and it's an important one which I respect.
>>
>>17446378
>I've been single for about 2.5 years now.

relax that is nothing try being single male for 25 years of your life and a kiss less virgin. you normies are so dramatic about loneliness.
>>
>>17446469
Never did i state that. No, just don't fight something so primal. It's not the fact that you don't have a gf thats setting you back. If you had a gf something else would set you back. It's just that you lack discipline and will power. When you have a task practice being 100% focused on THAT task.

It also wouldn't hurt to, instead of going on 4chan hitting up Okcupid, or going outside and meeting people.
>>
>>17446470
Again, there but for the grace of God go I. I very well could have been like you, but I got lucky. I want to be lucky again, but this time I want it to stick. Probably the reason I have so much trouble is that I am not a normie.

>>17446472
That's true, I probably still wouldn't feel satisfied even if this weren't my problem. I don't think it's a lack of willpower though, I have in the past been quite good at focusing on what the current task is, it's just that more recently I've had trouble and I don't think that anything has changed except that I have become more dejected.
>>
>>17446457
Outside of actively meeting new people with the hopes of dating or distracting yourself with a new hobby or by doubling down on your school/work I can't think of a way to get around these feelings. You need to love yourself and your own company.

If your university has a counseling program you might want to seek it out. At least at my school their services weren't just limited to people with mental health issues, but those undergoing stress/depression/anxiety from school/work/social life.

Try talking to friends and family for perspective too.
>>
>>17446482
>i don't think its a lack of willpower
>I've had trouble [...] I have become more dejected
That is definitely a lack of willpower. Someone with a very high amount of willpower would not become sullen about their lack of gf when they need to crack down on school work, something that their future depends on, something that in the long run WILL get you that relationship (due to getting a good career, provided you picked the correct studies)
>>
>>17446488
I've been wanting to talk to my best friend about it for a while, but I'm very embarrassed to talk about things like this with people I know. I'm a very internal person; part of the reason I crave a relationship is because I can be open with that person at least.

>>17446489
Again, I have previously been very capable of focus but only recently it has changed. That's why I posted.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.