[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get people to stop looking down on me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: wheels.jpg (97KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
wheels.jpg
97KB, 625x352px
I'll get right to the point: I'm a double amputee just below the knees. Unless I'm around home, I wear prosthetic legs. When I wear long and baggy pants, things are usually fine. If I'm wearing shorts, or anything that gives away that I've got no legs, the people around me immediately shift gears and I'm then treated like I'm completely incapable of doing even basic tasks on my own. When I'm just living my life, I'm fine. But for example if a grocery store clerk pretty much refuses to give me my groceries, and instead insists on carrying them to my car for me, I know they're doing it because he sees me as a cripple.

It even extends to the people who are close to me. I've actually had people stop my boyfriend to talk shit to him if I'm carrying something near him, and he isn't.

Am I forever condemned to long baggy sweat pants? Or is there something I can do to get people to stop looking at me like I'm pic related.
>>
>>17443199
How long have you been a double-chop, Halfie? As a lifelong cripple, I have advice but I need more info.
>>
>>17443216
Since like 2 years. I've no memory of not being this way.
>>
File: Halfy.png (77KB, 201x292px) Image search: [Google]
Halfy.png
77KB, 201x292px
>>17443218
Do you have memory problems or something?

Anyway, to the advice. Ables will always treat you like an idiot if they're inclined to do so. When you're born with it like I was, you learn how to deal with it in classes (dunno if halfies have classes but we eyeless do.)

Short and sweet, get used to either being that crippled bitch or come up with some polite shove-offs and hate-fuck your boyfriend to get your frustrations out. My wife and I do the latter. People see the cane and glasses, assume I'm an idiot and look for a tin cup, I politely defuse the situation with self-effacing comedy, and then my wife and I get our hate fuck on (she HATES when I'm condescended to by people.)

Take the nice ones in stride. Take the mean ones out with a verbal (or not) sucker punch.

Good luck, Halfy.
>>
Hey man, just wanted to let u kno people aren't looking down on you as in "we're better than him"

A lot of people have an inclination to help, especially if you're a customer. They just want to offer you a hand. You can tell them you don't need any assistance and you've got it, blah blah, and can even Sound like an asshole if u want, haha, they won't really care and will probably walk away admiring you for doing it yourself. Amputees aren't really an every day phenomena for a lot of people, so perhaps when they see one they wish to ease the burden/suffering the individual may be going thru with their shitty situation. Most people u meet will be in that box, however the average idiot will lift their eyebrows up and look at you like a hurt puppy just because they don't understand how to not wear their emotions and sound like pitying artards
>>
>>17443292
How would you feel if everyone you met stared at you and talked shit at worst or pitied you and treated you like a child at best?

We cripples go one of four ways, we laugh, we cry, we rage, or we clam up. I advocate laughing at life's insanity. It's good for the ol' noodle.
>>
>>17443199

Honestly, the best thing you can do, or at least what I've used to great effect, is when someone insists on trying to "help" even when you've said no, is to stand your ground, and if they keep going on, ask for their manager if they're an employee. A simple explanation there generally teaches that kind of employee that when a cripple says no, it's the same as when anyone else does it. As for the jackasses hassling your boyfriend, the hubby (Halfy pic) has the right of it. Tell those morons to mind their own goddamn business and then go home and channel all the irritation and anger into the best hatefuck the two of you have ever had. It gives all the benefits of angry sex with none of the drawbacks of being angry with someone you love.

>>17443292

As for you, tripfag, no, empathy and kindness is not the M.O. of the vast majority of people in regards to cripples and their loved ones.

What really makes people treat cripples like invalids is guilt and fear. Guilt for being a "complete person" and fear of that possibly happening to them somehow. I've done a LOT of people watching since I married my own crippie-man and those are the two most common reactions I see.

Honestly, the best thing in the world would be for people to stop hushing kids who ask about amputees, the blind, or any other form of crippledom about there. Always telling kids "Shh! Don't stare!" and "Don't bother them with your stupid questions!" is only adding to the idea that cripples aren't regular people.

FUCK. THAT. NOISE.

I've known good cripples, and I've known some really jerkass cripples, so they're people just like the rest of us. Get off your "I'm just trying to help!" high horse and start treating them like it.
>>
>>17443292
I don't have a burden the people I'm talking about need to ease. Also, "admiring you for doing it yourself" for basic things like carrying your own backpack, getting up to get the food you ordered, and walking around unassisted, isn't "admiring".
>>
>>17443360
*laughs* You're gonna do just fine, Halfy. Ever see Chris Rock's bit on black people vs. niggers? Google it because it applies to us too.

You don't need to be here for this issue. You're on the right track already. Have a good life.
>>
Yo, dude, I gotcha. You have the answer already. You want people to stop looking down on you? Get them prosthetics extended. I'm talking fucking NBA giant size. Get yourself four foot prosthetics and walk around as the nine foot cripple.

Ain't nobody gonna be able to look down on a motherfucker then.

Solved.

Next dumbass.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.