[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subconscious Racism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: thats_racist-original.gif (478KB, 265x236px) Image search: [Google]
thats_racist-original.gif
478KB, 265x236px
Today I realized I'm racist while browsing Youtube. I saw a thumbnail for an informational video with a black guy in it and immediately disregarded it and started looking for one of the same topic with a white dude. After consciously acknowledging what happened I stopped, went back, and found it was just fine. I know racism is stupid since most people are not just combinations of things they are statistically likely to do, but apparently I'm racist anyways. What can I do about this?

>inb4 >>>/pol/
Please help I don't want this.
>>
Don't obsess over shit like this. When you meet people in real life, give them a chance to show you what they're about, regardless of skin color. Treat others with respect until they give you a good reason not to. That is all.

Nobody cares which YouTube video you click on. That does not matter.
>>
>>17441651

It's already a step to think about your reflexes. I've been already asked in the same board about someone's hatred, and I actually couldn't come with an answer right away. I've been reading to compensate, I don't know if that answer will suit you but there are a few solutions :

> Reading about the subject you're feeling you're racist about. Probably the best answer, not the easiest to accomplish, when I meant reading it's about history, sociological matters, biological, etc... about 'black" people. Cognitive information about them will make you understand afro-american culture and this understanding will make you take away the emotional value (the latent racism, in other words) you're seeing in black people.
That's best purge to me, but it will still take time for you to come up with another way of thinking and motivation (I don't honestly believe people will fucking read when I tell them to do so, but how knows )

> Going over stereotypes and getting to know more of the x race that you're not into.
I don't think that's the best thing, you will probably get to know 2 to 5 people at best, that's not representative enough. It could get you to know some things but still not that great to me.

> Realize we all have stereotypes and we all perceive other communities based on what they represent
Once you understand that, you will judge a person based on his behavior rather than his skin color.

> Don't listen to biased infos : /pol/, /int/, 4chan in general and newsfeeder are the shittiest source you can find. Don't base your jugement on their infos. Also, liberals and race empowering are not better than the above-mentioned sources of informations, they are another kind of biased.

Props for getting out of this closed, stupid thinking. Have fun being cleverer.
>>
>>17441651

its a thing, and its not something you can truly cure yourself of. its a life long process.

whats important is that you caught yourself, went back, and acknowledged that what is important is whether or not that person had naything relevant to say, and they did.

tahts all that matters. trying to be a better person. good job.
>>
>>17441651

Well, getting out of this all depends on you as a person.

Black people have a bad rap in terms of education (and rightfully so looking purely at the statistics) since they are far less likely to receive it than any other demographic, just like they are far more likely to be murdered, to be found guilty for committing a crime or be part of a single parent household.

So one can hardly blame you for seeing a black person in an information video and at first glance disregarding it, just like one can hardly blame a police officer for seeing a black man walking at night and taking some kind of action, they and you are predisposed to thinking this way because common sense would declare that the statistics lead to our subjects correctly being what you initially thought.

The skill is in recognizing a few things:

first of all, the reason for this predisposition and the statistics are circular. Policemen in the 60s are racist, they are more likely to arrest black men, the statistics come out that more black men are being arrested and the following policemen are predisposed to think that black men are more likely to commit crime.

Secondly black people have only had around 4 generation in western countries to escape prejudice and segregation, this is not enough to expect the numbers to join completely in line with other populations who have been hundreds of years in the making, or began to arise after the fall of legalised racism. Black people in the 60s were significantly less likely to have access to good education, and were more likely to live in poverty. Living in poverty created crime, not having access to education created slow social mobility. Having crime meant that there was little chance for those involved to access what little in the way of employment or education was available, as such, their following generation went through the same problems. This has continued today, though is on the decline... (1/2)
>>
>inb4 >>>/pol/
Damn, well played OP
>>
>>17441651
I think ot would be a preference thing than outright racism. Its not wrong for someone to prefer to date certsin races nor is it to seek certain media. Chill, you are probably young or innocent. You woule be racist if you felt an unnatural hate for them.

Really its no more different for me looking for Asian covers of music and skipping over a white guy. If its of any consolation, much entertainment industries keep from putting black people on the cover or as main characters cause they sell poorly or put off people marketing wise. For example Princess and the Frog is considered among the weakest disney movies and while no kne would openly say it, the main characters race did play a fair portion as did a lot if the casts.
>>
>>17441651
Everyone is racist, up to some point. Just like politicians, you got left and right wings, each can be on the extreme side.

Learn to accept that fact and think about what you can do yourself to stop the fear. Of course don't be a dumbass and accept everything and everyone with open arms. That's a good way to get yourself beat up or worse.
>>
>>17441767

(2/2)

...since the 1990s and noticeably so, black women are rapidly becoming one of the most educated demographics around. Black people also have not had enough time to let go of the idea that they are being victimised (understandable since they still are in many respects due to the aforementioned), we can see that in the UK people had a fear of the Germans for a good 40 years after the war, while in places like Serbia, after 20 years people still harbor racism toward their neighbours. It has only been 50 years since the civil rights movement, and only a further 25-30 since the average citizen considered thinking of the black man his equal. The so called 'problems' that a lot of this website identifies with the black community are things that will disappear in time.

So to answer your question, if you are the type of person who can see this (and I'm not preaching gospel, this is very much my own interpretation of the facts) and think that black people are predisposed to injustice then you can solve your problem (exactly how I will get to shortly), however if you are the type of person who does not believe me and instead regards there to be something inherently wrong with black people, then that is your opinion and you are in the right to have that opinion, however I respectfully disagree and hope you change your mind.

Getting to the point, you can look at it differently to how you currently have been doing. Before you were predisposed to think black people were stupid and could not teach you anything, now try thinking, if this black man is in a teaching position then surely he has worked hard to get there, in fact harder than most considering that there were a few cards stacked against him so thus, surely there is something you can learn from him.

Apologies for the wall of text, but I thought simply telling you my point wouldn't really help you in the crux of your problem.
>>
>>17441767
this pretty much explains it. the civil right movement was not that long ago. I've met black ppl that were alive during it. some accept all ppl of all races because that's what their movement was based upon and others are still iffy about talking and dealing with ppl of different races because they were raised when alot whites were trying to keep them out of their communities with violence and force.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.