[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Public Speaking Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: krabs_rag3do.jpg (35KB, 680x464px) Image search: [Google]
krabs_rag3do.jpg
35KB, 680x464px
Hey niggerenos,

So here's the situation; I'm a third year law student and I need help with public speaking.

The weird thing is, i have always had a bit of a reputation at my High School at being good at public speaking and always got asked (and reluctantly did because i cant say no) M.C jobs. Even at Uni I've always gotten good marks for presentation stuff, but im not here to wank myself off- I honestly have no fucking clue how I have managed it so far; whenever I need to do public speaking I feel my heart rate and heart beat intensity rise incredibly, it really does feel like my heart is going to pop out of my chest and im going to die right there. I also get lost for words so i have to think what im going to say well, well, well in advance, even if it's not an important point i need a script. The anticipation is what really kills me though, i get so nervous, anxious and sweaty when it's about to be my turn to speak.

This is not sustainable, I want to be a confident, calm and assertive speaker. I've got a Moot (simulated court) Assessment coming up in 5 weeks and I know if I dont take any meaningfull steps to rectify this I will bomb out big time, I honestly dont know how i've fluked public speaking so far.

So /adv/, those of you who are comfortable and confident public speakers, How did you get there? I accept that perhaps some part of it is just natural ability but what are some solid excercises and things i can do to get there? what helped you the most?

thanks kneegrows
>>
>>17441555

If you're anything like me, and have had the privilege of being given an expensive education and have been brought up well, you can get away with temporarily realising that everyone in the room is poorer, stupider and less eloquent than you. You have the most social capital.

If you genuinely don't have the best social capital then suck up to everybody in there, but really, you're in law school so you can't be a total fuck up.

Think of the working class losers sitting beside you, that you will eventually be defending or prosecuting, they barely deserve to be there in your presence, so you might as well show off how great you are so they know their place.
>>
Breathe into your belly. Diaphragmatic breathing helps me a bit.
>>
1) Get a good night's sleep and exercise/eat healthy. Keeps you feeling physically capable of handling stressors. Lack of sleep or exercise and poor diet affect physically, which can increase the amount of anxiety you feel since you're less prepared to deal with the incoming stress

2) do stretches or jumping Jacks before presenting to relieve aby excess energy. You want all of your energy to be in your voice, but if your body is switching and shaking then it will override your voice

3) keep 80% of your energy in projecting your voice and tone and 20% to gestures. Only gesture at the elbow (no wild flailing movements) and don't hold your hands at weird angles

4) Practice, practice, practice. Time yourself, make adjustments, ensure you hit all your key points, do it in front of people. This is the best way to avoid stress. In public speaking your body kind of goes into a fight or flight mode. Since you can't do either, your body response cannot process correctly. You avoid this response by being prepared to handle the unexpected

5) focus on the friendly faces in the audience. There will always be at least one or two people who will be nodding along or smile encouragement. A huge part of public speaking is getting energy and confidence from the audience. If you focus on the negative faces (eyes glazed over or unfriendly expressions) then your effectiveness drops. Positive attention (taking notes, nodding) boosts your confidence and makes you a better speaker. Just don't lock eyes with that one person.

6) look people in the eyes as you're talking. Eye contact has an unusual effect of forming a bond between audience and speaker. They will subconsciously like you more if you hold the gaze for a second or two before shifting it around the room.

7) dress well. It's easier to feel and act important if you look important. Get a real necktie and suit. If that is too much for what you need, at least wear a dress shirt, slacks, and leather shoes
>>
File: Fuckin' Metal 3.0.png (634KB, 613x522px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckin' Metal 3.0.png
634KB, 613x522px
>>17441555

It's not what you say; it's how you say it.

You're worrying too much about how the listeners are going to think about you.

You're doubting yourself.

Fear is the mind killer.

In all honesty, you need to not give a fuck about anything but the information and/or point you're trying to convey in a non-pushy or aggressive manner.

Not too fast, don't slur, good cadence, good tone and confident but not cocky.

You're trying to convince a jury of your peers that your client is innocent of whatever.

So make good eye contact to give the listener the feeling that you've have acknowledge their presence but don't stare at anyone one person too long.

Don't be poker faced, appear human and relatable; give off the impression that you are sure of your clients innocence so be a bit passionate.

Hope this helps.

I Aced all of my interpersonal/small group/public speak classes and had a Doctor of Law (who was an instructor) tell me that I was a natural and should consider law as a profession.

Look at Hitler, he went from being a staving artist living on the streets to having a cult of personality, etc.

It took a lot of coaching and grooming for him to get that way but I digress.

Remember, it's all a game and based heavily on appearances. They want to see if you know your shit or not.

I've seen Delta male soft spoke lawyers who fucking destroy the confident lawyers because they weren't cock and knew their shit.

Good luck, comrade; even if you are a scumbag lawyer.
>>
(1) If you were fine before law school and not now - why? Stress of law school? Being put on the spot? This may need to be addressed and not your speaking ability. (2) When do you feel this? When you are doing mock closing arguments? Presentations? Random answering class questions? Predatory Prof closing in on you? Knowing this might help you understand and calm self. (3) If this is just in public speaking (speech/debate) you need to (a) watch others give speeches and critique in head. Like TED Talks on Youtube. Did they move too much, to stiff , hands pattern of speech - find ones you like and watch again and again. You are not going to mimic, but their style may be like yours. (b) Pretend - you are the CEO, bad ass lawyer,Their Boss, An expert they paid to hear - many of us in public speaking fake it until we make it. (c) Practice - film yourself, you are not as bad as you think, do you not like? And practice in shower, mirror, car etc...(d) if all else fails - talk with MD. Beta Blockers can be given off label to block organ fight or flight while brain is still popping off like crazy - but you are only dealing with brain - not body too ***CAUTION*** this is blood pressure/heart medication, do not take unless MD has given you physical and prescribed for you. Do not change position suddenly (you might pass out). Talk to MD about anti anxiety meds - do not take friends for day (needs to build up to therapeutic levels in some cases) or any of the "relaxers" or drink alcohol, you maybe saying all kinds of things you can not take back. Best Wishes.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.