[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pessimism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: RWl4M9c.jpg (50KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
RWl4M9c.jpg
50KB, 722x349px
>Have a good friend
>Like them alot
>But they are pessimistic 24/7
>Their pessimism annoys me and isn't really good for them either
How do i make them a bit more optimistic?
>>
>>17438007

You can't. Some people are like that. You can talk to them about it, but most likely it won't change anything.
>>
>>17438010
But it's bad for them, it strongly affects their life, in a negative way.
>>
>>17438007
>>17438014

Pessimism is akin to realism for most of the population imo.
>>
>>17438024
But they insantly assume everything they(and others) do will fail.
>>
>>17438045

You need to give concrete examples. Then you can talk to them about the concrete examples to show that they are irrational.
>>
>>17438179
>THere was an awesome girl who liked they
>She was by their side all the time
>She finally confessed to them
>"No sorry i know it's not going to work"
>Later he told me he actually loved this girl but he knows this would end horrible

>Go to college
>Encourage him to go to one too because he has no hopes of working anywhere else than walmart right now
>"No, it's just gonna waste my time"

Less serious shit
>"I won't hang out with you guys, it's not gonna do me any good, id reather stay inside"
>"Whyever would i take any effort to [inset a thing], it's not going to work anyway (This is his additude to most of things)
>Back when we were still in high school he wouldn't ake any attempt to study because "he will fail anyway"

Will provide more examples when i reall any.
>>
>>17438204

>THere was an awesome girl who liked they
>She was by their side all the time
>She finally confessed to them
>"No sorry i know it's not going to work"
>Later he told me he actually loved this girl but he knows this would end horrible

He is a pussy.

>Go to college
>Encourage him to go to one too because he has no hopes of working anywhere else than walmart right now
>"No, it's just gonna waste my time"

He might be right if his parents pay for his shit and he isn't broke.

>"I won't hang out with you guys, it's not gonna do me any good, id reather stay inside"
>"Whyever would i take any effort to [inset a thing], it's not going to work anyway (This is his additude to most of things)
>Back when we were still in high school he wouldn't ake any attempt to study because "he will fail anyway"

Attention whoring.

But yea, he is a lazy little bitch. I think you should refer to it as such, rather than pessimism.
>>
>>17438211
>He might be right if his parents pay for his shit and he isn't broke.
They wanted him to go to college as well
>Attention whoring.

>But yea, he is a lazy little bitch. I think you should refer to it as such, rather than pessimism.
Well how do i make him get his shit together? He's a bro, but this is annoying as fuck.
>>
Pessimists were optimist who were proven incorrect by life.
>>
>>17438214

The test situation is the easiest. Just confront him about it. Explain that tests are based on memorizing a bunch of information, and he cannot, reasonably believe that studying won't improve his chances. Explain that he is either being lazy, or protecting his ego. Someone made a good post about "protecting ego", but basically if he doesn't try and fails he can just go "lol wasn't even trying", if he tries and fails, he has to admin that he isn't as smart as he thought and he actually needs to work for shit.
>>
>>17438219
Well we aren't at school anymore so i can't really use this, but i think i get it. thanks.
>>
>>17438222

Yea, use specific situations. This is going to sound pretentious, but there is this quote that says something along the lines of everything is a risk. For example - if you go to the gym and workout, you are LIKELY to get stronger. But you are also putting in a lot of time and you might get hurt. Usually time is what you are "risking" against some reward.

He refuses to risk, he will never achieve anything with his mindset. Sure, there is a chance he might never achieve anything anyway, but if he really believes that, then his life is over and there is no point in talking to him.
>>
>>17438007
>>17438010
You can actually. Read "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman. Pessimism is the leading cause of depression in our country and it can be decreased.
>>
>>17438218
Pessimist here

I have very high expectations of life. When I met a psychologist I expected to meet a professional, knowledgeable and caring person. Instead she turned out to be childish and stupid, and dismissive.

After a couple of failures like that I always start joking about how it's definitely going to go to hell the next time too. If I went through three bad psychologists, wouldn't it be hilarious if the fourth one turned out to be bad as well? Like I'm part of a black humor sketch and nothing good can happen ever? Nobody would be that unlucky in real life.

And then the fourth one turns out to be bad as well.
>>
>>17438335
Well, but maybe the next one will be good? Or maybe you're looking for the cheapest psychologists? Or maybe it's just that you have unrealistic expectations in terms of psychologists? I was raised by two psychologists, and they both said the psychologist often needs to make his patient hate him to actually start working with him.
>>
>>17438352
>Or maybe you're looking for the cheapest psychologists?
Not a burger. I didn't pay for it.

>and they both said the psychologist often needs to make his patient hate him to actually start working with him.
That sounds like something from out of a movie that's too romantic to be true.

I'm going to try again for sure. But I'll try to find out what's expected of me first. Last time I just walked in and said 'help' pretty much. Which didn't go over well by itself.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.