[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Dev

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1421044878236.gif (306KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1421044878236.gif
306KB, 600x450px
Due to how many non-answers /g/ tends to give since they would rather insult anything asked, I've decided to come to you guys for advice.
Basically, I'm working with Unreal Engine 4. I wish to develop a game, as soon as possible, just because it's something I've always wanted to do. Problem is, I lack the knowledge of programming in C++. My question to you, /adv/, is this: What is the best way to learn C++ for game development for free? I'm 19, have no money, not in college yet and won't be able to attend until next semester at least, so taking some sort of college course is out of the question.
I've been messing around with the engine itself for the past few days and feel as though I have a basic enough understanding of what to do when it comes to level design at the least. A couple friends wish to help and they have volunteered to do modeling and texturing while I'll focus on the placement and programming. What do, where do I go to learn C++?

>Tl;dr
>Want to be game dev
>Unreal Engine 4
>Need to know C++ for free, quickly
>>
>learning c/c++ quickly

Toppest kek
>>
>>17436703
Not necessarily quickly, but as quickly as possible. I have previous experience learning programming, mostly in Lua, but it's been a while.
>>
>>17436685
Codeacademy

My advice though would be to start with a simple unity project in Java script
>>
>>17436708
I'll heavily consider it. Saved the link just in case. It lead me to learncpp but I'm unsure how well that site in particular is. Thanks for the input though, this actually means a lot to me.
>>
>>17436708
Don't listen to him. Learning c/c++ will make other languages easier to learn

>>17436705
There are tons of resources online. Read and practice. Read and practice
>>
>>17436685
I'd take it slow m8. C++ is a very different beast from scripting languages and you're going to shoot yourself in the foot if your goal is to make something as quickly as possible, rather then understanding it deeply.
>>
Whats the game about?
>>
>>17436720
>Learning c/c++ will make other languages easier to learn
I've heard that a ton but I'm unsure as to how true that actually is. Reaction from that statement seems about even, with half saying it's true and the other half saying it's blatantly false. Since I hear it's a harder language to learn (yet oddly enough, the industry standard, go figure) it would make sense if it were true.

>>17436723
I guess I got a little ahead of myself when I stated I wanted to learn it quickly. The main idea is to learn it the best way possible without taking years and years of study on the language.

>>17436729
I've got basic ideas and a few games that I would say are pretty big influences, seeing as I'm wanting to make a third person hack and slash/RPG type game. Kingdom Hearts comes to mind mostly, though obviously not nearly as cartoony or with Disney thrown in.
>>
>>17436733
I'd find a pdf or hardcopy of a popular/well recommended C++ book. Just pick one, start reading, and program as much as you can. Lookup any additional questions you have online. Also would try and find some lecture notes on a professor's website for some C++ course. They are usually good at boiling down or pointing out important details.
>>
>>17436733
Are you any good at any art/modeling? Have you done any for the game yet?
>>
>>17436685
My recommendation would be to consult with the friendly people over at /agdg/ on /vg/. Ask for Googum, he's probably the best-equipped to give you useful advice.
>>
>>17436733
Of course it's true because once you can wrap your mind around shit like pointers or lambdas everything else in any other language is trivial.

Aside from maybe fortran or something like that idk I can't make sense of that shit
>>
>>17436768
I've always been pretty good at drawing but I don't have the patience (or money) for using a drawing tablet for textures. As for modeling, I'm fairly good at it I feel. I took a class that taught me the basics of architecture in 9th grade and it was all done in the same programs that Unreal uses for creating their models.

>>17436787
Noted.

>>17436757
Will look into it. Thanks a ton.
>>
>>17436821
>Noted.
I was just memeing with the whole googum thing but there are a lot of people actually making games there, so it's worth a look.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.