[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

jealous of friend who landed the same job as me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: me.jpg (76KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
76KB, 500x667px
this year i'll be a senior in college, getting my bachelor's degree in neuroscience. my specialty field is behavioral neuroscience, and i spent all of last year and this summer doing animal research. i'm quite adept at stereotaxic surgery involving rats, and one of my professor/primary investigator's favorite students. he asked me last school year if i would be willing to be a TA for two of the upper level classes this coming year along with another guy who works in the lab. i'm excited to be a TA, and i know i'll do an excellent job (this type of research/lab procedure is basically what i want to do for the rest of my life.) however, my professor needed more TAs, and he had the other TA (who has more of a senior role in the lab) ask my best friend to TA as well. her specialty is not in this field of psychology, and she is no where near as experienced as myself or the other TA dude when it comes to surgeries. anyway, I can't help but feel... well... jealous? i'm upset that i'll be ranked similarly to my friend who isn't experienced, and doesn't take the job anywhere as seriously as i do. this is my passion, and to her, this is just a way to earn some extra cash. i feel so awful and petty for being upset about this. obviously my talent will shine through regardless, and besides, she's one of my best friends. how do i get a grip and come to terms with the fact that we'll both be doing this TA gig??
>>
You're just a cunt. That's all. Don't worry, there are tons of people like you
>>
>>17436311

yeah, i feel like a cunt. hence why i posted here, i would like to be not-a-cunt. thanks.
>>
>>17436295
Have you tried growing up? Passion or no passion, you're not going to be able to handle the real world if you throw a tantrum because someone else - your FRIEND - is doing your job with you
>>
You need to let go of the idea that the success of other people affects your destiny.

If a friend came to you tomorrow and said they won the lottery, how would you react?

For me, I'd be happy for them and tell them not to spend it in one go.

Her life simply had a fortunate turn. You will also have fortunate turns. Just be happy for her and let it go.
>>
>>17436328

i mean, i acknowledge that i'm being really immature about this. i guess i just feel like i've spent the majority of my college education working towards being the best in my department. and of course my professor recognizes that, and my work speaks for itself. and i know i just need to "walk quietly and carry a big stick" or whatever. but it makes me hurt inside thinking that the underclassmen will take the surgical procedures less seriously because one of our TAs is just "eh" at it.
>>
>>17436333

yeah, that's a good point. her work in the classroom won't directly affect my education or opportunities at all.

thanks for your input, anon.
>>
>>17436340
Your friend wouldn't have been chosen if they didn't think that she couldn't do it, you retard.
>>
>>17436352

she was chosen because she did well in the written portion of the class. for context, we did about 2-3 surgeries in the class itself (first semester) in comparison, myself and the other TA have done at least 3 dozen. our teacher was very desperate to find a third TA. so you're right, she's definitely competent (after she does some practice surgeries). but it's the kind of skill in which you need a lot of practice to become good at, especially if you're going to be teaching other people.

tl;dr: she'll be able to do it, but not super well. but she's the most responsible choice from the available pool.
>>
>>17436370
So you'd rather someone less competent do the job? Or are you just assmad that you have to share the spotlight with someone else?
>>
>>17436370
I feel like you are elevating the role of a TA too much in your head, that's your problem, you are acting like she is a nobel price like you when she is just getting a freaking TA job
>>
>>17436390

the thing is, the other TA dude told her without consulting me (we're the 2 senior members of the lab). i know he chose her because she's our friend, and also a senior. however, a rising junior also works in the lab with us, and has also done about ~20 surgeries. I know my lab mate didn't ask him to TA because he doesn't like him personally. so i'm a little irritated that he let his personal biases override choosing someone based on experience.

i'm not angry, though you're right, i guess i'm disappointed i'm not in the spotlight? idk, what really bothers me is that i think it should be the cream of the crop showing the underclassmen how surgeries should be conducted. i take the protocol very seriously because we're using animals, and any mistake is basically sanctioned animal cruelty which isn't okay.

look man, i know i'm being irrational. don't need to be called "retard" or "assmad" or whatever, i'm just trying to figure out a new cognitive approach to the situation so i don't feel as shitty about it
>>
>>17436402

yeah, i know it's just a TA job. but the stakes are somewhat high as we have the well-being of like 40 animals to take into consideration
>>
>>17436414
Again calm down, they are rats, if it walks monkeys i would understand but they are rats, i used to work optogenetics, you dont want to be cruel to animals but they really dont change stakes at all, specially considering it is for a class
>>
>>17436443
If it was monkeys*
>>
>>17436443

i mean, if i can reduce the suffering of a shitload of rats at the hands of a bunch of doofy underclassmen, then i'm going to do that...
>>
>>17436295
What you'll find is that life is unfair. People make spur of the moment decisions, feel good decisions, not the logical decisions.
>>
>>17436471
But there's nothing unfair about OP's situation. In fact, it seems like they just made the best choice >>17436370
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.