[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fell for the trade job meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 1462480051225.jpg (37KB, 423x604px) Image search: [Google]
1462480051225.jpg
37KB, 423x604px
18, turns out im not cut out for the job i was hoping to have a career in.
I like computers, any viable careers that involve that?
>>
>>17428748
Which trade meme?
Computers is the biggest meme. People inflate their stories about dropping out of highschool and reading books about programming and dev.
Now you can do IT without much creds. And normal amount of computer interest can compensate.
Though I would just be an electrician. If you understand computers, shit like that is easy and you can still do computers as a hobby.
>>
>>17428748
Trades aren't a meme, you being capable of doing anything that involves getting off your fat ass is. There is a shortage of people in trades, and a massive oversupply in IT you fucking retard.
>>
>>17428759
thanks, i guess my question was shitty.
I messed around with programming when i was younger, and i have made simple fixes to computers before (like replacing a hard drive). So perhaps i could have a career doing something with that?
>>17428766
HVAC, i hate doing install work and am not cut out for it.
Im not sure how i could go about becoming an electrician however, i imagine in a similar way that i would with my previous job.
Really the main issue was i was very absent minded and would miss tons of little small things. I assumed because i found the work so boring and menial that i could not stand doing it?
>>17428771
ive been working there senpai, and it doesn't seem like a great option for me, the guy i was working with even said that.
>>
GIS isn't a meme.

You can look there.
>>
>>17428777
Sadly dream jobs are not capable for everyone.
However
>getting paid 100USD for ten mins to reset some old person's gfci
Does it really matter how bad the work is if you get to enjoy your life and do what you want. Work to live, live to enjoy.
>>
>>17428799
i have no problem doing that
but at many places you have to do install before you can hope to do service work, and desu ive been told by many people that despite my enthusiasm that i shouldn't work in those types of areas, so my ability to move up the ladder is hurt by that.
>>
>>17428777
>very absent minded and would miss tons of little small things

This is going to be an issue in every single job.

>>17428777
>ive been working there senpai, and it doesn't seem like a great option for me, the guy i was working with even said that

So because it doesn't work for you, trades are a meme? Logical. Anyway, good luck with the computer job, might want to have a look at how many people with IT quals can't find work.
>>
>>17428805
>You can't do install?
Bruh, install is easier than service. Why wouldn't you be able to do that? Though it varies on the trade
>>
>>17428748

>I like computers, any viable careers that involve that?
Please, now a days all works require a computer, ALL.
>>
>>17428777
>HVAC

Kek you might as well be a cable guy
>>
>>17428811
how do i fix the absent minded thing? Despite my best efforts, i can't seem to get out of my own head.
>>17428814
i do the work, i just seem to take longer than normal to pick up on it. Maybe lack of interest? Im not sure.
>>17428819
why do you say that?
>>
>>17428831
Try a different trade. There are a wide range and some have more branches than HVAC. Like electrical, welding, carpentry. Don't fishhole yourself if you believe you will lack interest, its the last thing you want to do.
>>
>>17428848
But how will if i know whether or not i will like them?
Also, i do enjoy fixing things in general, but hanging ductwork over and over is boring af to me.
I went to a tradeschool in highschool but i learned service not install, and i hate install.
>>
>>17428853
I'd read about them, ones that slightly perk your interest. I'd look for someone who is in the field and ask them about their trade/job. You just don't want to be the cable guy if you hate dealing with cables. If you do find something that stirs you. You have experience in another trade so you should pick up a new one fast in theory. I'm sure you could get picked up as an apprentice or be mentored easily.
>>
>>17428871
Really i dont mind this industry
its more of me not paying enough attention apparently that keeps me from going through the hoops
Ive been told by people i work with not to work in this line of work, and do stuff w/ computers or whatever.
kinda de-moralizing.
>>
>>17428884
It might be, but if you don't mind it. Don't stop because they say so.
If computers really is your thing, you could get a side job at hardware repair for hell of it.
>>
>>17428893
its not that computers are or aren't my thing.
I just like fixing shit
like i would fix fucking vcr's if it meant a good living.
Also ive had a summer job and a similar thing happened. Im not sure if its something innately in me that prevents me from being competent or something i can fix.
>>
>>17428884
Not him but the people who told me personally I should go work with computers were completely right. I worked in HVAC for like 3 or 4 weeks and nearly choked on the job from someone's shit in their attic and my asthma.

There's jobs that are 50/50 on computer and field work. Not every computer job is all computers, but most are and often pay more too.

If you have an attention problem you'll need to find something you can build an interst in. You can try ONET or one of those sites to get an idea if you haven't already.
>>
>>17428901
what do you do for a living? How did you start out in it?
what do you make?
you seem like me, except ive had like a total of 3-4 months of hvac install expereince and have only a glimmer of vauge knowledge in install.
>>
>>17428914
I am >>17428780 and I work with GIS mapping gas pipelines for utility companies.

I love my job. I bike to work and sit around for 8 hours drinking coffee and reading engineering drawings to digitize them onto a map. It's really easy.

I make 50k now and I'm a year out of college with a degree in biology. I have a certification in ArcGIS and I've made several attempts to teach myself python. I'm kinda afraid I'll pigeonhole myself because if I do this same stuff for 10+ years I could hit 110k with benefits. There's a lot to learn in this field and I help our teams come up with new ways to better the project so I'm never bored.
>>
>>17428780
This tbqh.
>>
>>17428926
Wow dude this is exactly me in one year hopefully haha.
PS, I'm >>17428932
>>
>>17428926
it sounds like your degree isn't relevant to your career. How did you get certified or even start your career? Where would these kinds of jobs be located? I do live near a large metropolitan area so if it needs to be in a big city thats fine.

But honestly your work also does seem boring to me as well. But i could give it a shot.
>>
>>17428939
The work can get kinda repetitive, yeah. I can see people not liking it. Actually a lot of my coworkers came from working as contractors with Apple where they try to make Apple Maps better but most of them like this company more.

In college I took a couple classes called intro and advanced GIS just because it sounded interesting. I love admitting my degree is useless because I'd have a lot less earning potential trying to use it and I like engineering a lot more anyway. I got terrible guidance growing up.

I took the classes in school and told the company I took them and did projects during the interview. I've mixed GIS with bio before so it's easy to sell. I applied on some random career website as a contractor, probably Indeed, and then I went permanent with the parent company which is a statewide utility company.
>>
>>17428953
sounds like i would need to go to college, how long did you take your classes?
>>
>>17428965
I have a full bachelors degree with semester classes so they're about 5 months long each.

You can go to college for a 2-year associates in geography or GIS but you probably won't have as much earning potential.

Many of the mappers studied GIS/Geography. I'm the only science graduate in my workplace, most are engineering grads and we have an engineering side to our office which I don't work in.

>>17428937
gl f.a.m
>>
Op here
I'll give this a bump to see if i can fetch up some more advice
>>
Healthcare is a good option, there's nursing, surgical tech'ing, EMT, radiology tech, there are lots of options and they all pay a decent wage with job openings in almost every major city where there are hospitals.

Also for computers, if you're creative you could try graphic/web design, if not literally any other type of programming. IT jobs are generic and plentiful.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.