[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

let me answer your questions about life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: 1280x720-70F.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-70F.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
I have a phd in philosophy + currently I'm a disgusting NEET watching japanese b horror movies all day.

I know everything about life and shall bestow my wisdom upon you. Let me help u guys out.

>pic related
>>
File: 1470266195414.jpg (131KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470266195414.jpg
131KB, 1024x1024px
>phd
>philosophy

Pic related:
It's you.
>>
Youve got a philosopy level degree in philosphy.

Gg.
>>
so, what´s the secret to happiness?
>>
>>17426943
Don't listen to this faggot >>17426992
Bless us with your endless wisdom.
>>
How does one break out of a vicious cycle of self-loathing and guilt?
>>
>>17426992
>>17427017
at this point I'm a literal walking meme but I can leech off the income i make from my publications so I won't complain

>>17427020
happiness is subjective. there's no objective answer for that. for some it's having a successfull career, for others it's having a cute little family yada yada. you have to be more specific with your question or provide more information about yourself.

>>17427023
you may feel blessed. but do you wish for any advice, too?

>>17427031
where does your guilt and self loathing come from?
>>
>>17426943
> phd in philosophy
> whatching japanese horror movies all day

I don't think so buddy, you're stuck in the distraction phase Pascal spoke about
>>
>>17427048
>more specific
nah, i don´t need advice. i´m pretty happy. i just want to hear how someone with a phd in philosophy defines it.

anyways, what is a question you hope someone asks you in this thread?
>>
>>17427053
nice drop man! cool

>>17427063
idk this was just supposed to be a regular advice thread desu
>>
>>17427101
might be hard to give advice if you are a philosopher. people here need a psychiatrist.

anyways, how does one overcome enormous lazines?
>>
>Japanese horror movies
Noice. Anything Kiyoshi Kurosawa or Miike? The Curse?
What are your favorite branches of Philosophy and what should we know about them?

>actual advice
How to I become strong minded/willed? I feel so weak and insecure
>>
>>17427108
psychological problems cant be solved over imageboards anyways. i'm just here and willing to listen to your stories and offer some advice that's all

are you lazy in a way that you lose focus quickly or lazy in a way that you browse 4chan all day and can't get away from it? or something else?

>>17427120
a lot of miike stuff ofc. you mean noroi:the curse? was just about to start with 10x4 and get into the grudge franchise bc i've never realised it's such a big thing

it's generic advice but start hitting the gym if you are weak willed and insecure. it does heaps in that regard. it's important that it's the gym and not your home zone tho.
>>
>>17427149
>browse 4chan all day and can't get away from it?
pretty much

if i´m busy, i´m very productive. but if i don´t HAVE to do something NOW i won´t do it because i feel like i "deserve some time off" too. so i spend most of my free time just being absolutely lazy
>>
>>17426943
Was your PhD route paid or unpaid?
>>
This week my ex jumped off of a cliff in Vietnam for giggles and shit when she was on a tour at Ha Long Bay. Ofcourse, more people did it. But, ofcourse, the bad luck she is herself, had to get injured and now her vertebrae is collapdsed and she's in a hospital in Bangkok waiting for her parents and getting an operation to her back.

Ofcourse I texted her immediately the moment I heard the news, but I'm so torn and confused. I want to be there for her but at the same time, the last couple of weeks were going so well with me taking distance from her, I'm afraid of throwing that all away.

It's been 5 months since she broke up with me and since then I've been getting better and better. I'm just planning on being a friend in this case and checking up on her every couple of days.

But, damn.. what a way to regain contact again. I really hope she will turn out okay in all of this. If she would be paralyzed, I seriously doubt if she would ever be happy again.

How will I recognize the thin line between feeling and minding my own business?

I am conflicted. I feel obliged to support her in a little way but at the same time I know that I am not a big part of her life anymore. I am worried about her health. I hate the fact that, again, feelings come up after I felt so distanced and fine the last couple of weeks, finally.

I'm just, confused, really confused and now I again have my own feelings to deal with again.
>>
>>17427156
i used to have that a lot. what really helps is to turn off your pc and everything and just be in your room without any medial distractions for at least 10 minutes. if it helps you, maybe set an alarm clock or something. then take that time to get rid of all the impulses you seen on screen all day and after you've done that, think about what you want to do now. whether it'll be playing a game or picking up a new hobby or doing chores doesn't matter that much. what counts is that your next step will be to pursue this one thing that you want to do.
>>
Well alright.

>used to be shy and oversensitive, it wasn't going well for me
>became a cold and distant person, built a wall around myself and killed all emotions so I won't get hurt again, etc.
>stereotypical chick drama flick stuff but that's what I did and it works
>date guys
>feel absolutely nothing towards anyone
>realize I will never be able to fall in love as it is so I'll just have to pick someone eventually and roll with it

Did I fuck up or should I continue?
>>
>>17427164
i got paid for being my profs bitch for 3 yrs

>>17427172
where are you located currently? can you just jump by at her hospital?
i don't really know your relation but from the sounds of it she somewhat expects you to show up. so i guess if you still want to be friends with her you should at least show up once. but realize you're making a bigger deal of it than she probably does/ would. idk if it's a good idea to show up on a more regular basis. if she knows you still have feelings for her she should understand that this is a big burden on you.
most importantly, do not under any circumstances see this as an opportunity to get closer with her again. not even as a itsy bitsy mini chance.

>>17427260
1. being oversensitive or emotional and being "able" to fall in love are two separate things
2. you can't "kill" you emotions anyway
3. yes you will be able to fall in love with someone again

judging from the drama of your short post alone I can assure you that you have not successfully killed your emotions. you've probably just hit puberty
>>
>>17426943
>I know everything about life
I tell you what there is to know.
Don't do a PhD in philosophy if you don't want to end up being a depressed NEET.
>>
>>17427295
I am in the Netherlands and she is in Bangkok, literally the other side of the world.

I do not, in any chance, see this as a chance to get back. Not a chance. I'm just really worried though. And i feel like i need to be there a bit for her, but i feel the burden coming up again. I cannot show up and i will not, even if she is back in the netherlands. I will send a card just like i would for a good friend, but i am really trying to maintain my distance, seeing my reaction today.

Should i let her know all of this? Apparently, 5 months is still not enough for me to have no feelings again.
>>
Why do introverts like me and other autists have so much trouble talking to people, especially the opposite gender? It seems like it should be easy, but I find it so daunting. I'm always unsure what to say and do.
>>
>>17427310
No, don't overdramatize it for her. If she broke up with you and everything went friendly it's pretty clear she has no feelings for you anymore.
Just send her a card and wish her all the best - I mean, you can make it personal and stuff if you're the type to do that, but don't bring any feelings up. Try to imagine you're writing it to a good friend instead.

>>17427313
because you lack experience in doing so. introversion is not the same as being shy. nobody is either introverted or extroverted - don't make up excuses! being shy is a weakness and you have to fight it.
most important thing to remember is that you're not the only person who is unsure in social situations. everyone is. even the cool kids at school / college. and even if you're extremely insecure (I used to be that way, too) - everyone knows a dozen people who are just as insecure. A girl who'd notice you have trouble looking her in the eyes would not resent you if she sees you're keeping up a fight with your insecurities. Actually, that can be a very attractive thing.

So, go practice talking to others.
>>
I took a general psych and a intro to philosophy course recently and those two classes had me question a lot about how humans act and my scope of reality so I guess you could say what i've learned from those courses were very conflicting at the time. What I want to know is do you think psychology is, for the most part, a load of crap based on no empirical evidence? I want to believe there is some truth to the field but logic won't let me but then again logic doesn't really work on the physical level of brain chemicals and human emotions??? does the concept of a mind come into play? i apologize if these questions seem pretty vague and disorganized.
>>
>>17427337
I know, and you're right. I just dont know if i can cope with this shit if my feelings come back up and slinging again. Its the combination and maybe i should just limit the contact to one or two messages every couple or days or so.

I just dont want to lose myself again after the last weeks now that i found the right path again.
>>
>>17427357
even if it's a pretty radical position, I think psychology is bullshit in general. that doesn't mean every single thesis is. but trying to understand human behavior with empirical methods is silly because it's not quantifiable. everyone experiences their own reality. the choices you make are of subjective nature. there's no way to empirically access it. it's not possible to even compare my experience of drinking tasty chocolate milk with your experience. even if looking at neurobiology in 50 years. best case scenario would be that we were able to narrow down what celebral regions are active during this process but still that doesn't bring us nearer to understanding the pleasure of a human being from their standpoint.
if you want to get a bit more into this i can recommend a pretty accessible and short essay by thomas nagel called "what's it like to be a bat"

>>17427369
sorry I think I'm missing something. do you intend to only write one letter or message her everyday? i would definitely cut contact on a regular basis. definitely do that! if she still has respect for you she'll understand that you don't want to hang around her anymore.
>>
>>17427396
I just intend to sent her one 'be well' card when she gets back home to the netherlands.

I will let her do the talking and news updating and shit. I'm already noticing that I'm otherwise going way too deep in it. She'll save herself, especially with her parents visiting her.
>>
File: nop.jpg (34KB, 640x640px)
nop.jpg
34KB, 640x640px
how can i become like Sysyphus?

are emotions false, subjective?

why is philosophy a science?

Informal fallacies that are used daily in life?
>>
How do quit Collective Conscience?
>>
File: Ferret.jpg (38KB, 480x640px)
Ferret.jpg
38KB, 480x640px
You seem like you may know your way around education so I 'll just drop this on you and maybe you can evaluate my path/offer suggestions

>23
>High school drop out
>I want to go to med school and become a surgeon
My plan as it stands now:
>Get my EMT certification
>Work as EMT while finishing up my General Transfer Degree at local CC (should be around 24 when I'm done)
>Apply to universities for either a Pre-Med program or some other science undergraduate (Biology, Bio-Chem, etc.)
>Earn degree in 4 years while working as an EMT (will be 28)
>Around junior or Senior year of undergrad, start studying for MCAT
>Take MCAT
>Get good score
>Apply to med schools
>Get in, 4 years of med school (32 at the end of med school)
>5 year minimum for surgery residency, possibly more depending on specialty (will be 37-40 when finally done)

I'm wanting to work as an EMT for a myriad of reasons. For one, it's a job that gives you a lot of general life experience and life skills which are always good to have.

Two, one major thing med schools look for when interviewing apart from high GPA and MCAT scores is your own personal healthcare experience. Most people shadow physicians, do volunteer work, etc. I plan on doing all those things on top of actually WORKING in healthcare as an EMT. I feel it would possibly give me a leg up over the rest of the people who've only shadowed or done volunteer work. I would have actual field experience in a trauma background.

Third, EMT companies often have extremely flexible hours which would be a god send for a college student. I've been doing the full-time student, full time job thing for the past 2 years with my shitty retail job and it's been hell. Never getting weekends off, my days off are on school days. I'm basically non-stop.

Does this plan seem at all feasible? I'm a chasing some stupid dream that's impossible for me? Should I settle for something easier? Or should I keep chasing what I want to do in life and let whatever happens happen?
>>
>>17427515
>by working any 9 to 5 office drone job
>emotions can't be false they're simply there
>because it can be academically pursued
>hasty generalizations

>>17427526
?
>>
>>17427535
i'm really sorry but I wouldn't dare to give an opinion on your plans since I don't have good knowledge of how the american education system works (i'm german)
>>
>>17426943
So did you end up smoking a lot of weed?

[spoiler]Serious question because I think it's causing me problems with memory.[/spoiler]
>>
>>17427581
nope. i don't enjoy smoking all that much. i drink too much alcohol tho
>>
I only watch western horror, usually golden age slashers. is the jap stuff any good?
>>
>>17426943
What's the point of it all, when in reality we are all just a bunch of highly complicated machines with just the mere illusion of free will?
>>
>>17426943
I registered for university for this fall and already registered for classeclasses thing is I Haven't gotten financial aid yet and iit cost around 3,000+$ ....I don't want to major in Psychology anymore....I really don't know what I want to do...
I I haven't talked to a counselor, I know I should but the uni is 36 miles or 52 minutes in car... I don't have my license no car car no job either...
I'm fucked I know....please help...
I have no hobbies or interests I think...
I do like watching TV ands movies...that's not really an interest or hobby...
I like cleaning, I hope to someday learn to sew and be able to fix my own house or something...
I was able to teach my two sibling grade mathematics ...that's about iit though...
I have terrible communication skills sometimes... I am somewhat aloof at times...
Please please help me...advice guidance? Is their any legitimate test free online I can take that might help me out or something....?
>>
>>17427614
in general yeah! it can be very different tho. i'm still just starting out so i don't know if i can give very good recommendations, but I'd assume ringu would be a good starting point if you've already seen the american remake of it (the ring). that's probably a good start to see in what ways dramaturgy, characters, tension building and settings differ.

>>17427643
people aren't complicated machines. that belief is super outdated dude. people can feel, machines can't.

also, practically, it doesn't matter whether you believe if there's free will or not. you can still choose between going to bed early or watching a movie. who cares if it's just an illusion. it's still your choice. (that aside also that's not a fact and there's good reasons to not believe in determinism)
>>
>>17427547
Well fuck
>>
>>17427657
can you still cancel that program?

before you go to college, really make up your mind. there's no need to rush. for a semester or two, simply work some rubbish job like mcd or anything you get really and think of what you want to do with your life. if you like practical things, maybe consider learning a trade?

most importantly keep in mind there's no reason to stress yourself at this point in your life. you have plenty of time and nobody cares whether you'll be one or two or even three or four years older after you graduate college. just make sure you don't waste money on courses you're not into.
>>
OP I haven't nutted in a girl in 2 years, and I hate messing around with sloots at parties, who throw themselves at any decently looking guy who comes their way.

wat do
>>
>>17427682
either mess around with those girls or get yourself a cute girlfriend. i don't see why messing around with girls at party would be a bad thing tho. that and looking for a girlfriend doesn't have to be exclusive. in fact, they can support each other. maybe you find out that this one sloot is actually a pretty cool chick and not that much of a slut afterall
>>
>>17427681
I'm actually a transfer student(u.s) and I'm 24 already...I took a two years? off already...I couldn't get jobs...I kept applying and never got a call or interviews....
>>
>>17427737
transfer student in us or transfer student from us?

really, even if you wait longer, who cares? as long as you don't just leech around for 1 or 2 more years and do something about your situation, you can always make it look good on your cv.

why do you suddenly know you don't want to do psychology anymore?
>>
>>17427765
Transfer student in u.s. I uh live with my parents...and they're really disappointed in me...and also my oldest sibling(he's going to graduate this year or next year, I'm supposed to go to the same university as him)...
The first time I thought I'd be able to help people who suffer from depression or any emotional or mentally ill problems...I can't though...I can't even help myself, really...I am not as patient as I though I was...I also thought it might be less difficult iit isn't at all...I know I'm a dunce...I guess the reason also is I've always had trouble with retaining? information, I have troubles in mathematics iin general...I can't even count in my head...it have to use my fingers...fuck....I've always had trouble with my grammar as well...I think I might be a simpleton..or feel like one sometimes...
>>
>>17427799
maybe try to rather think of an occupation that you personally would like to do. don't choose a major because you want to help others or because you want to be a certain type of character. try choosing something that you enjoy doing, that's the most important part. don't confront yourself with a random abstract problem like this "i want to help people get over their depression". think of what you like doing and go from there. choosing a career path for a specific benefit is always bad.

don't make yourself down just because you're bad at maths and grammar. that's not indicative of how "smart" you are. there's plenty of stuff you can do that doesn't heavily revolve around math.
>>
File: Stood-Up-2.jpg (59KB, 634x449px)
Stood-Up-2.jpg
59KB, 634x449px
>>17427310
>I am in the Netherlands and she is in Bangkok
t.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.