[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gifts for dying mom advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: untitled.png (2MB, 1228x1066px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
2MB, 1228x1066px
My mom is really young and she has really bad cancer. She's going in for her first (invasive) procedure Friday and we don't know how bad but it's in multiple parts of her body, stage 4. Then there will be surgery soon to follow

It's like all of a sudden she's bedridden and it happened out of nowhere, she was out and about just last month working. but now she's too weak. I don't want advice on emotionally dealing with this or how to treat her:

But I was wondering if you guys have any advice for things I can buy or give to her. That would be funny or enjoyable. or good stores where I could get a gift that would make her nostalgic for example. I want to get her sweet stuff. or anything that could make her happy. It could even be a food gift.

Right now we're watching Arrested Development for the first time which she thinks is really funny.

My dad is being very stoic. I want to provide things like this for her right now. let me know if there's a different, better board for my thread though
>>
it would have to be something personal. maybe try to get all family pics you can get a hold on and make a load of awesome scrapbooks. my mom had a few boxes of old pics in her attic and for her last bday i sneaked them out, organized them and made neat albums out of them. she cried when she saw them.
also, everything that you spend time with her. watch movies she used to love as a teen or kid with her. get one of those books like pic related and use the infos there to make her her fav meals, make her a playlist with her throwback music, and so on.
your most precious give is quality time and happy memories. smother her with that.
>>
>>17426598
forgot pic. have a link instead. just an example, get something that you think is appropriate

https://www.amazon.com/My-Mom-Her-Story-Words/dp/1932319638/ref=pd_sim_14_1/157-3705292-6423166?ie=UTF8&dpID=41T3ML2tBTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=ADW8A8YHCS2HSVS282K4
>>
>>17426601
also, try to find out what her favorite perfume was as a teen and get her a bottle. smells are a powerfull time machine.
>>
I'm sorry to hear of what you're going through. My mother also has Stage IV, though her case is considered inoperable.

The suggestions thus far are all good ones, but I have another that is often overlooked: blankets and gloves. Printed fleece throw blankets are especially great if you can find some that evoke memories or reminders.

All of which, of course, leads to the question: why blankets? Chemotherapy has many side effects, of course, but there's an especially nasty combination that happens in a lot of people: secondary Raynaud's phenomenon (which causes cold to register as pain) and really bad chills. Blankets go a long way in making the process more bearable.
>>
>>17426631
i didn´t know that. but you could also make some cozy socks for her then or a fluffy scarf. or a cute hat.
>>
>>17426598

Thanks. we actually already have all tons of those scrapbook type things

Your link makes me really sad because it would be like asking her to "write your last words". It doesn't seem like it would be a good gift right now, though I wish I could give it to her. I wonder if there is anything I can do/give her that would involve retelling her story but that wasn't like your link.

>>17426610

I will call my grandma and ask if she knows about anything like this. Thanks.
>>
>>17426638
>I can do/give her that would involve retelling her story but that wasn't like your link.
i did just google random "ask your realtives about stuff" books. you wouldn´t just hand it to her but ask her the questions. there´s another, maybe more appropriate way. there´s a project, called storycorps, where you have a very in depth and emotional conversation with someone, record and save it for eternity. you can also do this just for the two of you. but it´s a good source of important and emotionaly loaded questions to ask. ofc the whole purpose is to spark a conversation that you will never forget and that will make her feel like you really care and want to get to know her as a human being.
>>
>>17426652

Yeah, that's why. the thought was really good. I will have to ask her a lot about her life and record it myself. that wouldn't be inappropriate and we could share it and I would love it too. I just need to find a place with great questions.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.