[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a Chinese international student who arrived at the UK a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: images (9).jpg (6KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
images (9).jpg
6KB, 324x156px
I am a Chinese international student who arrived at the UK a while ago. I've noticed how people here are cliquey based on race and ethnicity. You have a group of Chinese people mingling together, a group of British people mingling together, etc. I really want to befriend some locals, but I feel like it will be strange to break away from social "norms" and try to befriend the Brits when you are not one of them. I've noticed a few Chinese people who mingle with the white British cliques, but I don't know if people will judge me if I do the same. I mean, I dont want to be the odd one out. Should I make an effort to befriend locals or just stick to the clique?
>>
>>17426575
For someone who is worried about being judged, you sound you're judging a lot too
>>
>>17426659
How come you think I am judging a lot?
>>
>>17426575
Why not both? If you are worried look for a club or society to attend after classes. You can meet new people there.

I get the importance of saving face but you can be discreet.
>>
What you view as white British cliques is basically your ignorance regarding how you are judging these people. They are most likely from different parts of the country and different backgrounds maybe defined as a group due to common interests. It is more likely the Chinese people hang out together and then there is everyone else. I cannot think of any reason why at college or university people would not be open to meeting new people. It is the ideal time to do so and you'll be associating with hopefully open minded academic types.
>>
>>17426575
I'm sure their not against making a new friend. Just talk to them.
>>
>>17426575
You go to UCL or LSE?

Nobody cares, just hang out with whoever you like most or who you share interests with. Don't let ethnicity restrict you
>>
>>17426680
He is right though. Not entirely, you both are, but during my time in uni even the yanks stuck together like glue, and the euros were all native english speakers. Spanish, English etc were far more inclined to hang together near exclusively outside clasd.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.