[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Culture shock issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

I am from Hong Kong. I have Kiwi citizenship and am thinking about relocating there. However, I have never really lived there and have only traveled briefly around NZ when I was young. The longest I have been in one western country is a month. I really like the way of life there but I understand that traveling around a country for a month is different from living there for years. I cannot just quit my job and stay in NZ for a couple of months just to see whether I will like it or not. How to tell whether I will ever get past the cultural shock stage and adjust to life abroad without quitting my job?
>>
File: truckin.jpg (131KB, 1000x948px) Image search: [Google]
truckin.jpg
131KB, 1000x948px
Your brain will adjust.

I'm an American and spent 60 days in Seoul not knowing a word of Korean. Withoit any effort kn my part, my subconscious had begun to hear the spaces between the words. I could tell when my coworkers were talking about lunch. I got a girlfriend.

You can speak English, so the culture shock will be even less. Keep on keeping on, you can do it.
>>
Kiwi here. Honestly, NZ is probably at completely the opposite end of the spectrum to most 'traditional' cultures. We just don't really give a fuck about anything, and as a culture, we're pretty liberal. If you feel like you can handle that, then you might be okay. I can answer some other questions for you so you can get a better picture of what it's like here if you want.
>>
>>17425642
I know plenty of Asians who end up miserable after immigraring to the west due to cultural shock though
>>
>>17425642
>60 days
>implying that's anything like moving to another country for an indefinite amount of time
>>
>>17425619
It all depends on how willing you are to accept their culture. I've gone to live in totally different places twice already and culture shock didn't really hit me that hard.

If you have a good paying and stable job then I'd reconsider if I was you.

I had a friend who has a US green card, she had a degree and she had a decent job with a famous entertainment company here in Japan. She quit her job and went to find a job in NY, San Diego, LA, etc.
She worked part time here and there and in between she was trying to find some full time work. At the end it didn't quite work out, she came back and got a job working for Sony.

Your story might play out differently but then again it's all up to you and how willing are you to adapt to a new place and culture.
>>
File: tapir.jpg (103KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tapir.jpg
103KB, 1280x960px
>>17425735
The only thing I really missed was peanut butter, until I found a source 30 days in.
>>
>>17425957
Why did she move back?
>>
>>17426070
Couldn't find any full time work.
>>
I'm from NZ and its such a chill country
Auckland's fucked in terms of its economy, so try a different city like Wellington or Dunedin probably
It's very chill, people are pretty friendly, I say give it a go
>>
>>17426265
>Dunedin
No one lives in Dunedin but students
>>
>>17426158
Op here. Yeah am scared of this happening as well
>>
OP, I am a Kiwi who dropped everything to go to the Netherlands. I imagine the biggest culture shock moments would be discovering how difficult it is to find food you take for granted, how different the entertainment is (NZ tv is pretty shit so chances are the only shows and movies you would find are American or UK shows with a handful of barely watchable local stuff.) Oh, and because there is basically nothing to do once you have been hiking for the 20th time, everyone basically turns into alcoholics or druggies over the weekend.

So I guess a lot of it would depend on your tolerance of bad TV and your ability to amuse yourself while eating very western food due to lack of decent options. If you are an introvert and get on the best internet, it can be tolerable. If you are an extrovert and like drinking yourself blind, then you should be fairly well off too. But if you aren't too keen on alcohol you may be in for a bad time.

In short - I absolutely hated living there. I am much happier in the Netherlands, personally.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.