[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need therapy but where do I start? I have a lot wrong with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (46KB, 499x357px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 499x357px
I need therapy but where do I start? I have a lot wrong with me mentally. I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, no piercings or tattoos.. But I constantly push people away for no good raisin. I keep wanting companionship (a boyfriend) but then shortly in, I panic and end things because I don't feel good enough, or I feel unwelcome, or I'm just plain scared. It's all in my head. And it's a vicious cycle because I never am truly over the last boyfriend I'm with.

So I'd like to get therapy and stop... Just broke up again and I'm seriously in physical pain. I'm not sure if I'm well enough to make the 45 min drive home (I'm not even home)
>>
>no good raisin
>>
>>17424533
>I know I have a problem but I'm not willing to change my behavior.

There's nothing wrong with breaking up with someone who you see as a person you don't want to be with. There is a huge problem if you want intimacy but preemptively break up with people because you think having intimacy will make breaking up more painful later. It's not like you can't just say "This is self-defeating and I'm tired of repeating this behavior over and over. So I'm going to stop it."

As far as where to start with therapy, how about finding a therapist, making an appointment, and then keeping that appointment? Does something about that seem unreasonable?
>>
>>17424592
Yes I never break up because I want to stop seeing the person. I panic and end things early. It's never the former, it's the latter.

As for the therapist, I was asking because there are psychologists and there are psychiatrists. What's the difference? I want someone who's seen someone like me before so he knows how to advise.

I've been to a therapist before but I don't think he was right for me. I'm just looking for advice on how to choose who's right for me
>>
>>17424710
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+difference+between+a+psychologist+and+a+psychiatrist

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+I+choose+a+therapist

You might also want to read about attachment theory in adults.

It can be helpful to talk to your romantic interest about what's going on with you when things are going well. If you panic and break up, after you calm down you can go talk to the person and see if they're willing to try again.

Most of the links for how to choose a therapist are probably going include things like "ask questions". Want to know if someone has worked with someone like you? Open you mouth and ask.

I'd look for someone who genuinely listens to you and doesn't keep get stuck on what you see as minutia. Try to be open minded, but if you voice concerns about what they're telling you and those concerns are ignored or aren't addressed to your satisfaction, don't feel bad about going to talk to someone else. The reality is that therapists are like anyone else in any other job: the majority aren't particularly good at what they do.
>>
>>17424750
I hope they can work with me with my income because I make less than 30k a year
>>
>>17424834
Have you looked into the availability of low cost or free mental health counseling for where you live?

That's a rhetorical question, I know you haven't. Maybe you should.

How about whether or not your health insurance (if you have any) will help cover it?
>>
>>17424840
Sorry to reply so late. I was trying to take it easy. I was looking at psychologists that deal with my health insurance, yes.

But the last time I was at a therapist, he worked with me and my insurance to get a much lower cost.

Fuck I might just go speak to him and tell him the truth and ask for a referral to another shrink
>>
>>17424533
Faggot, look up therapists in your area, find one with a good rate, preferably takes insurance, and tell them what you need. Also, git yourself a friend you can talk to regularly
>>
File: image.png (858KB, 1588x894px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
858KB, 1588x894px
>For no good raisin
>>
>>17424533
See if your community has a crisis center. They can help you find a therapist. You may not be in what people typically call a crisis, but I think they'll help you anyway. It's a much better option than play Russian roulette by picking a therapist randomly.
>>
If in the US or Canada you can go on the Psychology Today website and search for therapists in your area. They will list their "specialties" (e.g. relationships, eating disorders, sexuality, etc...), insurance they accept and whether or not they can work on a sliding scale.

Call a few, talk to them over the phone and pick one.

When you finally go, here's what you do:

1 - Make a list of things you want to discuss

2 - Make a list of the outcomes you want to achieve

3 - Make a timeline as to when you want to achieve these outcomes

Your lists will shift and change as will your timeline as you begin therapy. That's fine as long as you feel (a) you are still working on the goals and (b) working towards a completion date.

Review the list and timeline with the therapist every few weeks/months to make sure both of you are on the same page.

My first therapist treated me like all I was to him was billable hours. It went nowhere.

Used the above method for my second therapist and made good progress.
>>
>>17426723
Hey anon it's op. I have made a list of stuff id like help with, and a common goal. I know exactly what is wrong and what I need help with

I'm gonna visit the last psychologist I went to. Hopefully having clear goals helps us both this time. So he can help me help myself
>>
>>17426723
Ok I made an appointment but it's next week. I need help asap
>>
File: 1405179470001.jpg (58KB, 505x557px) Image search: [Google]
1405179470001.jpg
58KB, 505x557px
funny grille posting cats :3
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.