[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing a CV

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1469925321604.jpg (34KB, 521x521px) Image search: [Google]
1469925321604.jpg
34KB, 521x521px
Well guys, I'm lookin for a job and I need to bust out a CV. Never really written one before - Any good templates online? Any advice in general?
>>
Look for examples online. A general template is
>generic opening paragraph
>detailed paragraph about his job specifically
>generic closing

Keep it under 1 page. Write things not on your resume. Whyd you like to work there. What you can bring. Properly edited with header, date, etc
>>
Lots of people are terrible at CV, so if you write a great one, you'll go far. Spend a LOT of time on it because it is very important.

The goal of the resume is to get into an interview. To pique interest. You dont need to include every single detail.
The appearance-at-a glance is very important. Imagine you have a pile of 30 resumes in front of you. At best you can spend 1 minute looking at each, but more likely you'll spend 5 seconds. Those 5 seconds need to leave an excellent impression.
Create a brand for yourself. It can be anything from 'experienced software engineer' to 'young working professional.' Every single line in your resume should somehow tie into your brand and those words should to appear both in your objective (if you have one) and your cover letter.
Dont BS. It'll be obvious at the interview. Instant trash. You should be able to defend and elaborate on every point you have in there.

Get folks to read it. Take their advice to heart. Rewrite multiple times.
>>
>>17421681
>>
>>17421696
I am a working professional who interviews people regularly. I'm literally the guy who reads your resume. But what do I know?
>>
>>17421711
Hey I believe you. How do I sound confident without sounding egotistical?
I typed out "charismatic talker" and cringed at how it sounds. I'm literally fresh out of education and simply wanna get a job, make money, but I don't know how to put that down without sounding like a bum either.
>>
>>17421723
>charismatic talker
I imagine you want to put this in the skills section? Dont. If you are a charismatic talker, it will show in the interview. It does not need to be in the resume because it is not a real skill.

However, "charismatic talker" is a fantastic brand. I might shorten it to "people person" depending on the job. Then your cover letter can say:

>Dear Sir, I am a charismatic talker and a people person. I believe I am the perfect fit for your open sales position (or whatever).

Then, reframe every job you've had to support that you were a charismatic talker or people person while at that job. When you get interviewed, the guy will think "oh yeah, the people person!" and if you are really a charismatic talker, confirmation bias will convince him of that. If you branded yourself right (and you should rebrand yourself for each job you apply to) you'll land the job.
>>
File: 1385261902491.png (67KB, 219x219px) Image search: [Google]
1385261902491.png
67KB, 219x219px
>>17421711
Nah m8, you are a degenerate.

>30 resumes in front of you. At best you can spend 1 minute looking at each, but more likely you'll spend 5 seconds
>>
>>17421750
Thanks man. I'm really feeling this idea on branding myself. Problem is I have no working experience other than work experience. How do I play this off?
>>
>>17421764
I'm assuming you have at least enough experience to fit a page. With formating, you dont need much.

The trick is to turn your weakness into a strength. For you, you are young, and thus dont have experience. Some companies are hiring experience folks, but for many jobs, a lack of experience is is totally acceptable. Take this core part of you (young) add it to your brand (young XXX) and turn it into a strength.

>I always give a new perspective.
>Love learning, want to try new ways of doing things
>Want to stay at a company for a long time
>other youthfull things

The advantage of this is it gives you an easy answer to "what is your greatest weakness?" Well, I'm young so I dont have years and years of experience, but I'm willing to learn anything needed on the job.
>>
>>17421806
Thanks for all the help, it's actually helping so much.
I've got a template and pretty much everything typed out except for a personal statement. How do I go about writing one?
>>
>>17421819
Summary of what's in your cover letter. As with the cover letter, it should be impossible to read the personal statement and wonder "why is this guy applying to be an XXX?"
>>
>>17421819
post your resume when its done
>>
>>17421824
So the cover letter is essentially an extended personal statement tailored to that job in particular?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.