[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Technical Comms Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20160802-153453.jpg (168KB, 1077x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160802-153453.jpg
168KB, 1077x1250px
Did I choose a shitty BA, /adv/?
>>
Are you interested in the field? Does it seem like something you'd enjoy doing?
>>
>>17420709

You chose a shitty college.
>>
>>17420716
I like technology and writing but I've seen a lot of negativity with Communications degrees. This one dabbles in technology so it's not as garbage as a regular communications degree but I still worry
>>
>>17420726

Already aware of that one
>>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/20/only-27-percent-of-college-grads-have-a-job-related-to-their-major/
>>
Tech Comm is a good field. The biggest challenge is selling your value to potential employers, master explaining how and why it's so important briefly to others. You're not getting a communications degree, you're getting a tech comm degree they're completely different. Assuming you work with your professors and professional organization you should have no trouble finding a decent job out of college.
>>
>>17420740
Welp
>>
Tech writer here. I work for Harris and have been doing it for about 5+ years now. First job will be your hardest. But once you land that job and start gaining experience you can work your way up the ladder easily.

Key is NETWORK. Go to job fairs. A huge college like UCF should have many of them. Like >>17420746 said, if you do that you can easily get a job out of college.

To answer your question, no it isn't shitty. Just have the skills necessary to do the job properly and network at college.
>>
>>17420746
>>17420784

Shit, this gives me hope. Thanks brothers.
>>
>>17420784
What kind of stuff do you do as a tech writer? I just looked the job up and I can't say I'm any more informed as to what it entails.

I majored in PR and write exclusively for corporate marketing. I've done what I was told is "technical writing" in an internship years ago, where I wrote manuals for an engineering firm. But that may be different.
>>
>>17420824

Essentially a technical writer is a professional paraphraser. You're taking technical terms and translating the language into something your customers can read. At Harris, it's engineering for radios, antennae and all sorts of other shit. But there are tech writers for computers, physics, science, etc. All kinds of stuff.
>>
>>17420838
Ahh okay, I see. Thanks. I guess I do forms of that at work? Since I have to break down corporate mumbo jumbo in ways internal employees of all levels can comprehend. Maybe that doesn't county, dunno.
>>
>>17420842

Yeah, it sounds like you're already doing a form of it. If you're knowledgeable in other viable fields you could probably look for employment elsewhere.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.