[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any medfags on? I have a 72 hour EEG and three MRIs scheduled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (111KB, 637x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 637x960px
Any medfags on?

I have a 72 hour EEG and three MRIs scheduled for next week. Basically, I've been falling down and occasionally fainting. I usually fall at least once a day, if not more, and the fainting happens maybe once or twice per month on average. One of the shorter EEGs was done, and they found an abnormality in my brain. When testing my reflexes, I was hyper responsive, indicating the might be something wrong with my spine, too.

So I keep thinking of other symptoms I have, and trying to decide whether I should alert my doctor. I've come to realize that I have very little idea of what is normal.

1) Get dizzy/tunnel vision if I look too far up or to the side
2) Can't fully extend my legs with foot flat without pain (probably a muscle issue?)
3) Feel pain sometimes from things that should not be painful, ie clothing touching the skin, almost always on my thighs and arms
4) Occasionally feel numbness or tingling in a patch of skin on the left side of my face

So, which symptoms, if any, should I mention to the neurologist next time I see him?

Also, if anyone has any clue of what could be going on, I hate not having any ideas. The neurologist thinks I might be having seizures, but we have no idea of what's causing them if I am.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 400x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 400x680px
Bumping with hedgehog.
>>
File: 1369384166676.jpg (129KB, 935x712px) Image search: [Google]
1369384166676.jpg
129KB, 935x712px
Always address any causes of concern or possible symptoms with your doctor. Even if you think they're silly, there's a chance they could be an important clue to help you.

As far as what you actually have it is most likely a type of seizure disorder. BPPV would explain the dizzy/tunnel vision when you move your head but you didn't mention that you only get episodes when you moved your head (which is the case in BPPV) and people do not generally faint from this disorder and you wouldn't get any kind of indication from an EEG for it so I find it doubtful. But to rule out the more unlikely reasons they will need the results of the MRI.

Seizures can be caused by so many things. High or low blood sugar, strokes, brain damage, brain tumors, other neurological disorders like MS or ALS or drug use. Sometimes deficiencies in electrolytes can cause seizures but this is rare and generally does not happen chronically. A deficiency in vitamin B12 would be a much more likely culprit. Finally sometimes you are just born with it through genetics or random bad luck.

Either way I wish you luck and let us know how it goes anon.
>>
>>17420727
I usually get spells when I move my head too far to the side or up, when I stand up, or when I've been standing or walking for too long. It pretty much only doesn't happen when I'm lying down.

Brain tumor, luckily, is ruled out. I had an brain MRI a couple of months ago.

Thank you for your advice. I'll talk to the neurologist.
>>
File: 1368203737892.png (435KB, 646x630px) Image search: [Google]
1368203737892.png
435KB, 646x630px
>>17421686
Wait so you consistently get these symptoms while moving? I was under the impression from your first post that the symptoms come all at once for a while then disappear. If this isn't the case then this doesn't sound like a seizure at all and more like BPPV or a related condition. How long have you had these symptoms? Did you have a cold right before you got these symptoms?

If you've already had an MRI then we can most likely rule out atrophy or lesions of the central cerebellum and/or brain stem. Along with some other neurological disorders that should show some damage to these sights.

The BPPV I mentioned is not a perfect diagnostic but it would be easy to test. Your neurologist would just need to perform the Dix Hallpike maneuver which would take less than 5 minutes. I would bring it up.
>>
>>17421981
They don't happen constantly, I can't predict them, but they seem to occur regardless of whether I'm sitting or moving around, which ruled out a blood pressure issue that I can't spell or pronounce to save my life.

The symptoms started in earnest during pregnancy last year, though I had fainted a couple of times in my life prior to that. I expected it to stop postpartum, but instead it got worse.

I did have stroke-like symptoms a few months ago (suddenly lost all feeling/strength in one side of my body), which is why I had the brain MRI, but it turned up nothing odd. But the fainting/dizziness started long before that happened.

My body's kind of a mess.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.