[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failed Masters Thesis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1Tpz1G4.png (14KB, 530x444px) Image search: [Google]
1Tpz1G4.png
14KB, 530x444px
I'm in a complicated school position, /adv/.

Basically I fucked up my Masters thesis and I failed. I hated it by the end of the program and rushed to get it done because I didn't want to look at it anymore. I know I fucked up and I've come to accept that. My program has luckily granted me a rewrite. I found out about this about two weeks ago. It took me a bit to get over the funk, talk to my parents and to just mentally plan to get shit done.

Here's the thing. They wanted me to re-apply and spend the next year re-writing it. Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but I am already signed up for another Masters (I can elaborate on why if you want but it's a bit of a tl;dr), and I had deferred them for the program I failed last year, so I don't think I can really contact them right before the program starts and be like "lol defer again pls". So I took the more difficult path of trying to get it in by a short-term deadline of the 15th of August. As I've been working on it, it's been slow. I don't think I'll produce as good a work as I could given more time, plus I'm back home, so my resources are extremely limited (I have no access to source materials except online, but there isn't much I could use).

Herein lies my issue. Last week (about 5 days after finding out I failed and saying I would try to get it done by the 15th), I emailed the head of my program that I felt I couldn't get it done in time, and how would the re-applying work/could I do it parallel to my other masters/defer the rewrite to next year. I didn't get a reply for almost a full work week until I got an email saying that there was a family emergency and the head would be gone until the 1st. It's now the 2nd, he still hasn't replied and I'm panicking. Time is quickly running out and I'm fucked if he says the 15th is my only option. Should I contact my other school and tell them what's happening? Do I just keep writing and hope I get something done? Do I keep bothering the head of my program?
>>
>>17419202
I would suggest deferring from your second Masters and focus on your first. If you cant pass your first, how do you expect to pass the second?

Apply for a second defferal. You were foolish to register for a second Masters during your first, so focus on getting one under your belt then think of another.
>>
>>17419213
I'm just worried deferring again, and so late, will make them say I can't defer and I lose the chance.

I actually applied to both programs last year and got in to both but the one I took was more appealing so that's why I did it first and deferred the second one to start this year. I had every intention of doing the second one back to back, and everything was going fine until I had failed.
>>
>>17419202

Fellow uni guy here. Why can't you combine the new master program with writing the master thesis for your old master?

Does the problem lie in effort more than anything else?
>>
>>17419227
Ideally that's what I'd like to do. The program I plan on entering is a lot more lax than the program I did, and I'd be taking only 3 courses with a medium course load until December. I feel like I could easily manage that while simultaneously working on my thesis until December, giving me a few more months to work on it. But I don't know if either University will allow that, and since my program head has practically disappeared I'm at a complete standstill.
>>
>>17419248

Perhaps ask the second guy in charge, if there is one? Student counselor?

Do these people have a phone number? Try the phone instead of email.
>>
>>17419248

Also, it seems to me that you have to write the piece either way. Either before the 15th of august or in the next school year (in combination with the new master).

So, why not keep working on it? See how far you get?
>>
sorry, but how does one fail a masters thesis?

I assume this is something STEM because I've never heard of an social science masters thesis being failed
>>
>>17419267
Even in STEM you'd have to fuck up pretty hard to fail
>>
>>17419281

I just don't understand the concept of a thesis being failed because to get to the point of even writing a thesis you have to pass coursework, find a supervisor, create a proposal that gets approved by the dept head and your supervisor, and then along the way you are constantly being evaluated by your supervisor so that your thesis can be defended successfully (because it reflects on the professor too).

it just sounds odd
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.