[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FML

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1468001151144.jpg (32KB, 507x340px) Image search: [Google]
1468001151144.jpg
32KB, 507x340px
Dear /adv/

First time posting here.

Med student, going into final year. Great right? nope

I am a lazy cunt, I love money and all I want is a job to provide me with enough money to support my lifestyle of gaming during the week and doing insane amount of substances during my weekends with mates.

Gf of a good number of years broke up with me because all I want to do is above, except in the summer. Then I want to sit at the beach and smoke weed all day and have sex in the evening. Gaming if weather is shit. I love her and miss her, but w/e don't think I'll ever change (and she doesnt believe I will so never wants to get back).

Now, I'm starting to hate my future. I don't wanna work insane hours, I don't wanna give up my fucking lifestyle for a career I originally meant only to support my hobbies.

More importantly; none of my mates are from my med school, I absolutely hate most of them and have to keep my lifestyle a secret from all of them. I don't wanna work with scum who think if you have a life you chose the wrong profession. And I hate that naturally they suspect my lifestyle, and keep poking and prodding to have me slip up and admit it.

Here's the catch; I also have insane pride and would look down on anything lower than medicine as a profession.

I'm gonna get the fucking degree. But wtf then?

Am I just a loser cunt that happens to be smart by some freak accident? Is there a place for a lazy cunt like me on earth?

I have a passive death wish, I feel like I'm just gonna have to endure life.

In fact I wanna sign up for the military and ask for the shittiest assignment so I get killed fast.

and no I don't have the balls to do it myself, don't wanna bring shame on the family I really appreciate all their support.
>>
>Am I just a loser cunt that happens to be smart by some freak accident? Is there a place for a lazy cunt like me on earth?
You're a fucking idiot that needs 4chan's advice board of all places to hold your hand.
Luckily for you you're not the only STEM Major that struggles with reality, because I want to do the exact same thing as you, the only difference is that I'm finishing a Mechanical Engineering degree

Here's what you do.
> Go on holiday for a while after finishing your degree and be a lazy cunt somewhere else and then go to work

There's a lot of places in remote parts of the world that pay well and your timetable is basically 3months on 3months off, or 6months on 6months off.
The working conditions are usually shit though.
Your other option is to open your own business and have other people work for you.
>>
>>17417904
Buddy, I did biomedical engineering in undergrad.

If you think medicine is gonna be a 9-5 job like engineering well, guess what. And if I say fuck it my days over and go home, I have a lawsuit waiting for me next day. Oh and my holiday? It's 2 weeks a year.

To top it off I'll have to work with the assholes above, most of whom have absolutely no social life and a pathetic existence therefore they focus all their attention on the lives of those around them and make it their duty to know all about it, try to control it. I fucking loved the friends I had in engineering, you should consider yourself lucky for that at least.
>>
You'll fit right in with most doctors OP.

I too am a lazy MD cunt. I think what helped me get by the shitty phase that you and I went through was the realization of interpersonal communications.

The students you're with now are petty and naive, and they truely believe they are the lawful goodie two shoes docs that are going to put everything behind their job and will be rewarded for it.

Some of them will be genuinely like that; a doctor I can think of in particular was one that took in all the finanically disadvantaged patients, the drug abusers, the needle sharers, etc., and yet he would still be more than willing to take a weekend shift at the local ER with no questions asked, or would give considerable funds to bail your relative out of jail, or would be the ordained minister at your wedding. He never asked for a damn thing in return. He was a hell of a man and I was bawling at his funeral last year, and I don't get emotional. What I'm saying is you will encounter those benevolent docs and you may not agree with their lifestyle choice, you should give them respect.

Most of those aren't in your category though. You're still a student with other students, and I can assure you that the classmates youre talking about are petty, hierarchial, and probably hypocrites themselves. Even a lot of docs near retirement age still pull that shit. People are going to be faggots, and you can't do much but smile and accept it. Don't let them run your life though, they don't know any better than you. But for fucks sake do not ever believe you have to match their sacrifice of everything. Those types of new docs are more likely to burn out within the first five years, if they even make it at all.

If you need any advice on the life I'm here for a bit. Hope it helps, just realize there are good people and there are faggots in every culture and profession. Do what you need to do to not burn out. Best wishes
>>
>>17418184
thanks anon

good to hear there are others like me

How did you get along with your classmates? I just literally avoid them whenever I can outside the hospital and don't speak to them unless I have to. Otherwise I am fairly pleasant until I detect bs then I shut down/walk away.

How did you deal with the work hours? Intern years scare the shit out of me. (EU here btw)

Is it something you just adjust to? Does your lifestyle change in time whether you like it or not because survival kicks in and you know you're gonna be drowning in debt if you don't keep the job?

Also what are you specializing in? I'm thinking psych might be one of the best for my lifestyle. But I do love working with my hands.
>>
>>17418184
not op but could use some advice as well. im 31 now, got a bs in animal science two years ago with the intention of vet school. one gap year to take a break and work turned into two. now I'm afraid I'm too old and the total cost. no gf and no kids
>>
>>17418347

>How did you get along with your classmates?

Dealing with fellow med school students is just absolute shit. The amount of pressure the whole atmosphere creates around itself makes it feel like you're always watching your back because you dont know if you're dealing with a snake can be taxing. Although I was fortunate that none of my labs were sabatoged over shitty people, these things can happen. Basically deal with it as best as you possibly can. Know that, there are kindred spirits like you and I. It's likely there are people that feel the same way in your own class. If you can find these people and can trust them enough, then you're doing better than me. All I can say is that you're at the absolute worst of dealing with colleagues for right now. Residency will get better in that regard, I promise. Your fellow residents are more apt to have your back on things since you're all going through it together. There may be a zany type or a holier than thou type in your resident program, but its more of a wacky family setting where you guys stick together regardless of differences.

Dealing with work hours just comes with adjusting and realizing you have to get through it. You'll get adjusted soon enough after spending time working, the time goes by quite quickly in fact. And yeah that fear of "holy fucking shit I have over $150,000 in debt and this is all I know how to do" certainly helps.

I admit I don't know the entire details of the UK situation but I heard it's pretty shit over there for you young docs. Something about laws trying to be passed to work you guys longer for the same price I believe? Heard there was a lot of strikes and protesting going on. I have no idea if it still is but I commend you guys for sticking it back to the government there.

Currently I am in internal med. Family and hospital practice. Looking back on it I should have went into dermatology lmao. Practically 9-5 hours with exorbitant pay and easy work in the scheme of things.
>>
>>17418383
You're not too old m8. One of the best doctors I know and is my personal Dr. is a man who worked in a meat packing plant for over decade after high school before he decided to go to college. He also had 3 kids and went through a divorce in the middle of residency. And he's one of the most brilliant docs I know, I trust him with my life. He never had any 'ins' like his dad being a doc, he just got sick of being where he was in life and pulled his ass through it. If he can do it, there's no reason you can't, especially since you're partially there.
>>
>>17418347
>Also what are you specializing in?
There are plenty of 9 to 5 style doctor jobs. Why don't you look into dermatology, ear/nose/throat, or other appointment based, non-emergency doctoring? You actually have quite a few options if you don't apply for a job at a 24h hospital.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.