[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT Career Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1469997412004.jpg (82KB, 920x620px) Image search: [Google]
1469997412004.jpg
82KB, 920x620px
Here's the deal:
>age 23, magna cum laude BS in IT, worked in university IT all through college and hired on after, but laid off after budget cuts
>started working at local company in January
>hired to work in 18 month project wrapping up in June 2017
>June 2016, fiancée is offered dream job on other side of country
>she moved out there last week while I stayed behind to work and tie up loose ends
So that's grounds for leaving right?

>day before I leave to help her move boss calls me in for annual evaluation
>praises me for getting everything done ahead if schedule, helping other employees and being very proactive
>switches gears to say that, because I often leave early (which she approved) I am making a "bad impression" that I'm only giving 75% effort to the company and they want 110% (but not more pay)
>didn't know what to say, just tell her I appreciated the feedback
Most days I get my work done by 10:00 and twiddle my thumbs for six hours. It's to the point that I invent work for myself or do non-work odd jobs for other employees just so I have something to do. And management won't give me more work, but expect me to do more.

Today was my first day back after a week away, and you'd think the work would be piling up, right? There's a reason I'm posting on 4chan at 9:00 AM. There's fucking nothing.

Am I right to put in my two weeks? I'm miserable here, my fiancée was the only thing making it worthwhile. Will it hurt my career to leave now?
>>
>>17416620
Had the exact same problem at the moment. Except i'm leaving my job tomorrow. i talked to the boss, explained him i wanted to live with my gf. Now i'm scouting for a job at the other side of my country.

You could keep your current job until you have something else there.
Being bored at work fucking sucks. Slacking for a few days can be cool, but after 2 weeks it's becoming really annoying.
>>
Your boss is an idiot. Get out. If a company is allowed to have this blatant misuse of resources (yet still wants the appearance of long hours with no pay as if we're Japanese) then there are probably some other very serious financial problems.

GTFO. The worst thing you can do at this point is allow yourself to languish in a semi-comfy job. Put in your notice now. As in tell your boss you want to meet with her after lunch, have a resignation letter printed and queued on your electronic device, send it the moment the meeting starts and copy her boss. Hand her the piece of paper.

Don't give them any feedback either. They don't deserve it.

t. former ineffective as fuck IT manager
>>
>>17416683
Luckily money isn't a problem right now and there's a lot more opportunity in my new area. If I don't get a job immediately, I can study for VMware, CCENT or MSCE.

And yeah, being bored at work sucks. I spend most of the time on my phone because it's an open office. People are always looking in my direction from the back and front. I have to make an effort to avoid constant eye contact, and people are looking over my shoulder.

>>17416692
All my friends and family told me not to work there because it's a shittrap but I was desperate at the time. When the university got hit, this place became the only viable IT career in my area. I think I'll work on my resignation letter tonight and hand it in tomorrow. Thanks man.
>>
>>17416722

Be prepared for them to not accept your two week's at all and fire you immediately. I don't know what security level your position is, but this is very common with high security and/or low morale. If they think you're killing morale by leaving on time, just imagine what having you leave without even having another job lined up will do.

So spend the rest of the day copying, deleting, etc. I'm sure you've never kept anything personal on your drive. . . .

Resignation letters are easy. Short and sweet. You could also copy HR as well to make it iron-clad (no "well anon can we talk you out of it" bullshit).

Also if you do want to give a reason just say you're moving across the country. No negotiating out of that. Who knows they might offer you a part time remote position.

Fly be free. GTFO and good luck.
>>
>>17416620
>Most days I get my work done by 10:00 and twiddle my thumbs for six hours
Usual advice: do the job of the next paygrade, go ask for more responsabilities and more work. Keep an eye on the guys that can't finish theirs and teach them your tricks, if there's nothing available.
Or just fucking leave, you don't like it there anyway. Get an in to an other job elsewhere before you do, tho.
>>
>>17416740
Thank you for the good advice. This is only my second job, and I wouldn't have quit my first one if it could have been avoided.

That said, I have no security clearance etc at this position, either governmental or organizational (I had no "clearance" at my last job either, but was a security administrator). Morale is super low because a list leaked from management with a list of all project personnel, notes on their interview and whether or not they would be fired after project completion. They didn't even disavow it, they just said it's an old list and some things have changed since then. I was on the keep list, but I wonder if I haven't been moved to the fire list anyway.
>>
>>17416740

Another thing, and this is just sad experience talking, make a list of all of the systems you're responsible for and their UNs. Change all of the PWs to

FuK3dC0mp@ny1!43var

Or some such other stupid thing. Include this in your resignation letter ("I have compiled a full and complete listing of all IT systems that I have access to and their user names. I have supplied Ms. Terrible Manager with the passwords during our face-to-face meeting on Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 11:30 a.m.").

Encourage them (for one place I made them do it in front of me) to change all of the passwords to something you didn't know. Why? This now makes it impossible to blame you for the inevitable things that will go wrong in the next two weeks and for months after you leave.

--Compile a list of all of the IT assets assigned to you. I don't know what your helpdesk/change control system is like, but in most real places you will have devices checked out to you based on their property number and SN. Make a list of all of this and include it. You don't want to be blamed for a vanishing 3TB drive. I've seen this happen.

Same with mobile assets; in fact it's probably best for you to wipe them yourself and (if you want to be dramatic) slide your resignation letter along with said electronic leash across the table. I did that once with a place I couldn't stand. It was fun.

Remember also in life your greatest asset is time. Don't waste it, ever. Good luck.
>>
>>17416773
>Remember also in life your greatest asset is time. Don't waste it, ever. Good luck.
This is a good point. I should also point out that this job isn't the direction I wanted to take my career in - I'm not learning skills that I can use where I want to be. My entire job revolves around a single specific application that I do nit want to work with in the future.

I'll be sure to take a list of all my stuff and include it in my letter of resignation.
>>
>>17416984

How is any of this burning bridges?

How is it "getting out" that you were responsible with the company's IT resources going to harm anyone?

How is turning over company property immediately anticipating dismissal bad?

Fire a few people and have some quit, and then let me know.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.