[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best friend's obsession with California

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (30KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 250x202px
So my best friend and I have been friends since the seventh grade. We both just graduated a couple of months ago and in the last several months of our senior year we had quite a few arguments and problems with our other friend. But right now our friendship is doing good. The only problem is his obsession with California (Mainly San Diego) and his plans to move there (From Dallas) in two years. He's got this view of Cali as if it's some heaven on earth. He was born there and lived there until he was about three. But you'd think that from the way he talks about that place he's moved away in the last couple years and is homesick. He's got some family over there (whom he idolizes because they smoke weed and skate I think) but other than that I don't see too much of a point to going there. I plan on taking over the family business so I'm forced to stay close by where I live now. I wouldn't say I'm jealous, just upset that he's gonna be gone and there really isn't that great of a reason. His only other reason to go is so he can have a successful career in music. But he can't sing, can't read music and can't play any instruments (though he owns a guitar and bass only because of me). There's no political reasons to leave either. He doesn't drive, never had a girlfriend, and works at a movie theater for minimum wage. Obviously it's not a glamorous life but he's still got several friends at work. Does he think moving to a big city will solve all his problems? Can anyone think of why he's doing this and thinks this way?
>>
>>17410328
A lot of people who are dissatisfied with their current lives think they'll move to some magical new place, and everything will be better.

The fact is, the same guy who finds little success in Dallas will probably find little success in San Diego IF he continues to put in minimal effort.

Acknowledging that, going to San Diego might be really good for him. He'll be closer to family, he might run in with a bigger music scene, and he might get the kick in the ass necessary to really hone his music skills.

When he leaves, you should feel happy for him. You're both around 18, it sounds like. You both have a lot of growing and developing to do. You'll be completely different people in as little as two years. Don't give up hope on him yet, yeah?

This sounds cheesy, but as a friend, you should remain cognizant of his current faults, but continue to have his back. The next few years might be hard for him, but I think he'll appreciate your honest criticism and encouragement.
>>
>>17410328
I know you'll miss him. But this is something everyone has to go through.

"We were best buds in high school but grew apart in college" is a tale as old as time. You're in that age range where, whether you go to college or not, you both have to start living your own lives and defining yourselves. This process may very well separate you two. Learn to accept that and grow with it.
>>
>>17410340
I want the best for him honestly. He doesn't have an amp for his guitars and is counting on his brother in law to get one for him (he's been waiting for over two months) so it seems like he's waiting on him but he certainly could have gotten one for cheap by now. And he's been talking about moving for years now. So I doubt he'll want to stay unless he finds a girl who won't go with him. I think if it's really what he wants and needs then yeah that's great. I'm just not understanding the big picture he's got in his head about it, which upsets me.
>>
>>17410369
>I'm just not understanding the big picture he's got in his head about it, which upsets me.

I get that. But at least it sounds like he's got a safety net by way of family.
>>
>>17410328
Shit man, if he's doing bad in Texas then California is going to kill him. We're fucking expensive.
>>
>>17410679
Not even just the expenses, brother, not even just.

>Fucking snotty and rather brutal society
>Birthplace of Hell's Angels
>not a fucking job opening in existence, unless you're favorable to them in a very specific field
>even then, very oversaturated markets.
>the entire state itself is overpopulated
>degenerate land, not counting my racist remark earlier (polygamy, loads of hobos, the fattest of the fat, welfare-livers, etc)
>cops are either fucking useless or corrupt for the most part
>land of the drugs
>droughts that run up water expenses through the roof
>need we mention bus fare, 7 bucks a ticket

If you're poor here and you don't transfer, you might as well kill yourself.

I could go on, but really, stay the fuck in texas, or move literally anywhere else.
>>
>>17412086
>transfer with your original job intact
sorry, messed up.

(racist remark was the fact that we have tons of blacks and mexicans here. To be honest, it just makes the neighborhoods worse. You do NOT want to enter Stockton, let alone San Diego's tourist-less areas.)
>>
As someone who has been to San Diego myself (went there when I was 17), I completely understand how your friend feels. San Diego basically is a heaven on earth, even if their people are kind of stupid.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.