[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life Direction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: the_thinker.jpg (47KB, 459x600px) Image search: [Google]
the_thinker.jpg
47KB, 459x600px
25 year old anon here, will try to keep this short. Trying to find a job that will improve society the most.

I'm struggling to figure out what I should be doing with my life. Currently in military because it was an easy job to get.

I have zero ambitions. Don't care about making money, don't care about starting a family, and have no passions except reading books.

I'm fairly intelligent and people tell me I shouldn't be wasting my time in the military constantly. So I've been thinking of jobs that would help the most people since any job will be a job to me.

1. Cop? Chance to protect people but have to enforce laws I disagree with and no authority to change them.

2. Politician? Would have to lie, cheat, and steal for my entire life to get a position with power to fix anything.

3. Doctor? Best option I've thought of as medical research finding cures could help the entire species.

TLDR: Job suggestion that would help improve society.
>>
Obviously doctor.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (319KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
319KB, 1920x1080px
But your point 2 about politicians is false. Politicians are regular people, and most of the methods they use are above board. Furthermore, politicians start making a difference immediately.
>>
>>17408855
I know two family members who got into politics in Georgia. Both were removed from positions by higher ups because they would not ignore blatant personal use of state tax money by mayors. That wasn't even at the state legislature level where people start tossing around millions.
>>
I'm in a very similar situation. I've considered these options as well and am likely to get out soon. From these choices a career as a cop would be more fulfilling to me, but if you are going for a job with more effect on the world I'd say go for a political gig. Of course, it all depends on how high you planning to go in the world of politics.
>>
Working on my phd in mathematics currently,

If you really want to help society, go into STEM. We need more people who can contribute to the sciences or math so that we can design better technologies.

Doctor is gonna be automated fairly soon, and the job is overly stressful.

Politics takes knowing a lot of people, including the rich and exclusive.

Cops are paid shit, treated like shit, and have shit lives.

Go into environmental engineering, we need those people. Save us
>>
>>17408919
first year math phD starting August here, have you passed your qual ? some dude said for Algebra just do everything in Herstein's book and you are ready, how true is this ?
>>
>>17408929
I have. As for the book, I do NOT recommend you rely on that. Try to mix things up
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.