[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being ""Popular"" on Social Media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1462109964166.gif (161KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462109964166.gif
161KB, 480x360px
Ive always wondered what it's like to post some stupid Status/Picture/Whatever and get 80+ Likes, Comments, Shares. Most of the time it's just some girl from Highschool posting a Selfie/Feminist ridden Status, and in roughly an hour over 100+ people have liked it, and the comments explode with compliments and empty remarks.

Ive avoided Social Media almost entirely my whole life. Ive never made a Facebook, barely use my Twitter, and fucking despise Snapchat with my very existance. What purpose is there to post Pictures of yourself, Pictures of food, Snapstories of you blasting Music in a car full of friends being loud and obnoxious, Telling people LOL IM SO TIRED I CANT WAIT TO GET OFF WORK every single day, etc? The whole idea seems very narcisitic and depressing, and I always cringe seeing people doing poses,faking and putting on a character whenever someone is videotaping them, why not just be yourself?

Im sure being a hot topic online isnt as great as I'd imagine. I just have always wondered, because I'm tired of hearing my friends bitch about not getting a text ALL DAY, whereas I can go almost 2 weeks without a quick 'hey'
>>
>>17407290

Feel good that you dodged it. I had an insta, snap, twitter and FB with lots of friends and followers. It was a very hollow high each time and the moment I realized how disingenuous it all was I deleted all of my accounts. The moment I stopped while snapping a picture and thought "are you taking this for you or for 'them'?" was the breaking point.

People and friends acted really shocked like I committed suicide or something. The only thing I kept was an alt FB so I could still chat with family back in my country.

Screw social media. I like when news or events can break out from it but the rest of the time it is very narcissistic and silly. I now cover my face or turn when people are only updating a social media status with me in the shot.
>>
Get a better set of friends. I make a few actually good posts and photos and get lots of likes.
>>
>>17407290
>compliments and empty remarks.

I have social media, ITs a pretty great feeling to get a ton of likes, but like you said, its hollow.

Theres some good, like for networking with people that could help your career, but overindulgence is a waste if time.
>>
>>17407320
Ha. Almost exactly the same thing I did when I deleted my Snapchat.

I was going through all my friends Stories and just had a moment. Seeing all of them posting the same shit EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Oh look, a video of you singing along badly to some songnin your car. Oh, a selfie telling me how drunk you are. Oh cool, now you're about to smoke a joint. Wow, now you're at McDonalds at 1am, how edgy and exciting.

The whole purpose just seems like bragging and crowd-acceptance. I always felt awkward when ,y friends pointed a phone at me to take video, and the people around me just started acting whacky, friendly, loud and forced. Why?

I think Social Media loses its place the older you get, honestly. I spent all of Middleschool and Highschool trying to get other people to like me, notice me, and know I'm a fun person. Now that it's over, and 90% of the opinions I cared so much about dont even matter or apply to my life, I can finally be who I didnt want to be: myself
>>
File: 1468417679425.png (69KB, 366x401px) Image search: [Google]
1468417679425.png
69KB, 366x401px
>view snapchat story
>shakey video of dumb girl singing to loud radio and shaking her head around
>>
>>17407370
>black screenshot
>text with vague emotional 'well I WAS having a good night....' smack dab in the middle
>>
File: 1445745576594.jpg (31KB, 666x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445745576594.jpg
31KB, 666x720px
>No Instagram, twitter or snapchat
>Have a dummy fb account so I can tell people to friend me there then never check my messages
>>
>>17407352

Exactly. Forced recording still bothers me. I'll simply hang out and have someone turn their camera toward me like I'm their monkey. I understand photos and commemorating certain things, but our entire lives don't need to be uploaded.

Those genuine and personal moments between loved ones shouldn't feel like a cheap soap or reality television.
>>
Social media outside of business and group pages, IS narcissism. Pure and unfiltered.

Social media makes us feel worse more than it makes us feel good. It's just another way to make you miserable through comparison and trying to keep up with the Jones'.
>>
File: 1468674900225.jpg (36KB, 583x566px) Image search: [Google]
1468674900225.jpg
36KB, 583x566px
>>17407290
Is having social media shit mandatory for networking at college?
Or will it just outright help?
>>
>>17407443
People use "networking" as a reason for social media too much, hardly anyone uses it for that.

Do you have a mouth? Can you speak? There you go, you can network. Networking works best in person anyways.
>>
>>17407290

Nothing quite like an ex girlfriend you don't want to hear anything about to scare you off social media.

Been away from facebook a few months after 6 non-stop years and I feel great, No more worrying about getting fewer likes than those dumb tossers you used to know in high school and no more stalking impulses cause you're single.

I still believe trying out social media is a good thing, at least lets you see the way you can handle your self esteem and self-conciousness . Some people manage it well and are happy but not me.
>>
>>17407390
I'm not alone. I fucking hate having a camera in my face. Like another anon said it's feels really disingenuous.
>>
I'm the same. Had facebook for like 2 years. I probably uploaded 10 pictures and 10 statuses during that time. I'm not a nigget to go YOOO JUST WOKE UP WHATS GOOD HMU and not a girl so I cant go FUN IN THE SUN #little things #goals. Some people feel the need to tweet what they ate for every meal. I just don't see why.

At the end of the day its a social status thing to feed the ego. For every positive or genuine tweet, there are 999 selfish ones.
>>
>>17407466
I can't stand it with food. When you're out with friends and someone orders something generic and the next thing they're taking pictures.

Food goes in your mouth, not your fucking camera you imbeciles. You think you're being cultured, but you're actually just a moron.
>>
I have a facebook to keep in contact with family and people I know, but that's really it. We like each other's posts sometimes and share things we find funny/informative/whatever. It's not a huge deal.
>>
>>17407488
My issue with facebook is I find it kind of addictive. It could just be my personality, but this hasn't been a huge issue in other areas as much.
>>
File: 1466453984302.jpg (365KB, 750x725px) Image search: [Google]
1466453984302.jpg
365KB, 750x725px
Im glad I got tired of it, because I dont want to end up like those 30 year old 'Spergs with Anime/Cartoons as their profile picture, Memes and 4chan humor on their Timeline Photos, constantly commenting and liking girls Photos and being an autist.
>>
>>17407290
You know before facebook, people still kept in touch and were social. People who care will remember you.
>>
Same here OP. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't really like other people I don't care about having a window into my life, and I don't care for what other people post either, it's all pretty boring and repetitive and a waste of time and energy. I feel like people use it to create a fake image of themselves, and no one will like your things unless it's something trendy or a selfie, who even cares
>>
>>17407290
I used to use facebook to post informative things regarding politics and debate people on the matter, but that gets tiring after a while. Its not like arguing on 4chan, too many people holding onto an emotional argument like a crutch and plain disregarding anything evidence I present because I must be a racist homophobe mansplaining kikiburner.
So now I just use facebook to keep in touch and jerk off to roastie's photo albums.

I never used anything else as it seemed vapid and shallow.

>>17407390
>Points the phone at your expecting you to be """outrageous"""
My niece does this shit all the time. I continue with whatever I'm saying/doing whether its entertaining or not but most of the time I'm sure its just awkward. I'll be damned if I have to put such a demeaning expectation on myself.
>>
>>17407569
For all the shit given to other websites, there's a surprising amount of 4chan on facebook and other sites, which is both baffling and cringe-inducing.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.