[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic unrelated. What in your opinion is the best way to handle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: The FUCC Title.jpg (25KB, 600x244px) Image search: [Google]
The FUCC Title.jpg
25KB, 600x244px
Pic unrelated.

What in your opinion is the best way to handle alcoholism in a character?

I'm writing a character that is an alcoholic due to using alcohol as a form of escapism after witnessing a lot of traumatic events during his service in the military. I don't really want it to come off as ham-fisted or silly, so how would I introduce the fact that he's a heavy drinker?
>>
>>17406158
>so how would I introduce the fact that he's a heavy drinker
I don't write so I don't know how true this is, but 'show, don't tell' comes to mind.
>>
>>17406162
Show, don't tell is alright but not gospel. There's nothing wrong with telling stuff in a story. The thing is that poor writers tend to try to jam stuff down their readers' throat without being able to make it come to life and make it believable. So you get the "they loved each other very much" for a wooden couple that never becomes believable, let alone endearing. Then you need to get readers on board by showing their relationship in a way that sells your message. If you're on top of your game telling things without showing everything is completely normal.

I don't think it matters that much whether you do it early or in a later stage, as long as you're a bit matter of fact about it. Addiction is extremely monotonous. You become used to living your life around your addiction relatively quickly, so understate it a bit. To your character, this isn't some worrying situation, it's life and trying to cope with life. It's also a huge part of his life, so don't fall into the trap of mentioning it a handful of times and then continuing the story as usual.

Although is also depends on what you're trying to write. If it's an action focused story with elaborate storyline, it doesn't matter nearly as much if the alcoholism isn't that psychologically convincing.
>>
>>17406158
UniSA pleb reporting in.

I don't write much, but I do read and as the above have said, show it through actions rather than just narrating. When I'm deeply immersed in a story I visualise it, and so do many others. Actions are a lot more engaging in those cases.
>>
>>17406158
Doctor here.
The overwhelming thing I find alcoholics do is they'll try to pass off responsibility for their drinking and health issues as the result of general social circumstances.

Usually they're lonely and can't deal with their issues on their own and the only friends they find are the ones with a glass in their hand. So they say stuff like "everybody else was drinking heavily all through my youth, we didn't know any better" or "if I don't drink then how do I make friends" or someshit like that.

No idea if that helps you.
Are you going to be a high functioning alcoholic or a rekt one? The rekt ones are like what I'm describing. The high-functioning ones you never know about.
>>
>>17406733
Actually I just thought of something else that can help. There's a basic alcoholism screening mnemonic that goes: CAGE

C - patient thinks they need to cut down their alcohol intake
A - patient has been annoyed by others to reduce alcohol intake
G - patient is guilty about own drinking
E - patient needs a drink first thing after waking up

Do a few scenes that show all 4 at some point would certainly clue me in to their issues.
Should be fairly clear to audiences too.
>>
>>17406162
well remarque in arc de triumphe handles it pretty well with ravic and his drinking. You migh find some inspiration from there
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.