[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 24 and making my first CV, please help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (53KB, 1322x854px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
53KB, 1322x854px
I think it's about time I break off from my dad, who I've worked under for a while now. And frankly I feel I've left it too late.

I'm lost. How do I flesh out a CV when my entire adult life up to this point has basically been a lacky?

I have no concrete previous job titles since I was always being shifted about, and no idea what I could possibly write in the description box
>>
Remove references to your dad. They don't care.
>I don't have much to show for myself
Oh christ. Take that out. A CV is no place to feel sorry for yourself. You're supposed to be selling yourself.
>>
>>17405678
So do I just cite all the companies he has and what I did in them?

Wouldn't that give them the impression I can't hold down a job?
>>
>>17405684
Yes. Just cite the company names and your positions. It'll look better if you overlap the dates and explain that you worked multiple jobs part-time.
If you didn't actually work them all in the same timeframe, then it still wouldn't look all that bad. People jump from job to job all the time.
>>
>>17405696
I also happen to be the director of some of these companies under a technicality, would this matter?
>>
>>17405700
Under your responsibilities you can put "Directed blah blah" but don't call yourself a director. They're not idiots and you'd obviously be lying. Keep it 100% realistic and you won't have to be nervous about the interview.
>>
Well this thread didn't help at all.
>>
List the jobs you did, then tell what you learned from them, what did you do and what tasks you were really good at. What responsibilities you had.
>>
>>17405670
Look up a model 'skills-based' CV and do something like this:

2008-2016 Daddy Corp - Held a variety of positions in this small companies, gaining experience in a range of areas. Among my skills and accomplishments:

- Sales. Everything from cold calling to return visits to key clients. Helped increase sales 37% in 2 years.
-Training. In charge of training 4 new employees
-Management. Took on the job of reorganizing the company structure, simplifying systems and increasing efficiency

- and so on. Treat everything you did for your father's company as if it were a different job, and stress the breadth of your skills and accomplishments.
>>
What do you guys do for references if you don't have anyone?

I currently have a uni professor. But I'm also doing volunteer stuff right now should I ask my volunteering manager?
>>
>>17405670
>I'm lost. How do I flesh out a CV when my entire adult life up to this point has basically been a lacky?
Whatever it takes, within reason.

The biggest mistakes most people make with CVs are:

>Adding shit that isn't relevant to the position.
>Not selling yourself on shit that is relevant to the position.

You don't have to have a lot of experience or work history but you DO have to have things that apply to whatever you're applying for.

So:

>Remove the shit about your dad, why the fuck would you add this
>Never apologise in a CV, you're showing your ability to do a job, not socializing or buying something
>Take those gay adjectives out of the Examples. Promptly is fine, it shows you're diligent and fast. Empathetically and heartfelt aren't, nobody cares. These are minor things though so it doesn't really matter.

Also you can exaggerate a little. Add a few extra months onto your work times, etc.

>What do you guys do for references if you don't have anyone?
Whatever it takes, within reason.
Friends are best for this but anyone who knows you is fine. Volunteering manager is fine.

Stop over analysing and start getting rejected from jobs, the more you get rejected the better your CV will become plus the more chances you'll have of getting a job over time.

Remember the key: Craft the CV to the position.
>>
>>17406264
Yes, ask them. Also get a part time job or something
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.