[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I've already sent my car in (94' suburban) for diagnosis and repair but would like any insight from car-savvy people here.

I'm mainly paranoid that my car's engine may have degraded to the point of complete failure at this point.

So this morning before work, my car wouldn't start. The power would come on as normal, but the engine itself has zero response. (Though since before this morning, starting itself didn't appear to be showing any trouble)

I've replaced the battery myself just a few months ago, and I actually had the starter replaced in January. However I have to admit that I've been pretty neglectful with the oil. The last change was about 5 months ago and I have for the past few years been pretty derelict about checking the dipstick itself often enough, maybe once every few months I'll check and add additional oil. I'm sure the engine has been degrading over time. Plus the car has 230,000 miles.

Could the specific way my car didn't start this morning suggest this? Or does it suggest something else entirely.
>>
Oh also, there's no clicking either when I attempt to start.
>>
How many miles, what motor, 4x4?

We had a 94 Burbin growing up. Good vehicle, until it's not. The steering wheel will get loose habitually. The transmission will go a couple times. It's a beast and a gas hog. Does yours have the 40 gallon gas tank?

I recall that we sold it for not very much money about 10 or more years ago. I can't imagine that yours has low miles.

The positive is that it's probably easy for a mechanic to work on. The negative is that there's a lot to be worked on.

What do you think is wrong with the motor?

Have you taken you question to /o/ ?
>>
>>17404076
Read your post again. Just get rid of it. 230k miles is a good run.

Probably is a bad starter motor. Find out what it is and get underneath and check the connections. Then bang on it with a hammer, perhaps while someone is trying to turn it over. Be careful.

Starter motor is easy to replace. Probably will cost you 50-100.
>>
>>17404076
This thing has been a beast for sure, I mainly just regret how little care I've given it. It has 230,000 miles.
>>
>>17404082

This, if there is no click at all it really can only be one of a few things.
>>
>>17404076
>>17404082

Me again. Best piece of engine know-how I've ever received is
>air
>fuel
>spark

It has got to be one of those three issues. It most likely is spark, so check your starter motor. Even if every other component on the vehicle was fucked the motor would at least try to turn over. Make sure your battery is good, possibly hook it up on jumper cables while you are diagnosing it.

There's nothing wrong with banging on a starter motor which is likely to be broken anyways. Usually you can get a few more start cycles out of it.

I loved that 'burbin. Got out of a pretty nasty speeding ticket once because the speedo only goes to 85mph despite the engine being governor limited at 98 mph.
>>
>>17404113
>>17404129
Regarding the no-click, that was actually my impression too but I thought it might be overly-hopeful thinking. I know the car is old but I love the fucking thing to death. I want to run this baby into its fucking grave. It's been in my family literally since it was brand new.

I really appreciate the advice too, I will definitely look into this, burbinbro
>>
>>17404071
>Could the specific way my car didn't start this morning suggest this? Or does it suggest something else entirely.
It sounds like an electrical problem of some sort, a relay perhaps. Fortunatley the electrical systems on older cars tend to be relativley simple, so it shouldn't be too difficult for a man in the know to straighten out.
>>
>>17404165
If that is the case you should do better about changing the oil. Also, don't switch between synthetic or natural... stick with whatever has been used in the engine during it's life.

Even if the engine was fully seized, the starter would try to turn (and thus click). It's probably electric related, or a bad starter. Check your distributor too.
>>
>>17404071

Have you tried push-starting it?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.