[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do for the rest of my life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (639KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
639KB, 1000x667px
What should I do for the rest of my life? My only interests are computers, graphic design and film. People tell me to do computer science but I have mediocre grades (c+/b) and have no experience in programming ( I also hate math). As for graphic design, I love Photoshopping and computer art but it doesn't seem like there are too many jobs out there. What can I do? What else can I major in? i don't have a lot of talents...
>>
>>17403463
If the graphics are your thing, you could always get a Design major. You might probably not get a job for a long time, but then again you'll have better experience. Also, there's actually lots of non-official work for digital artists, like art commissions and such. So I don't see anything bad in at least trying to pursue your dream.
>>
>>17403463
Then move somewhere else, also, it doesn't matter what YOU like, what matters is what jobs are needed to be done.
>>
I had this same problem and I settled on biology. It's the easiest of the hard majors. You can easily get into lab tech, medical, or research. There's a hospital in every town in the US for you to work at. With the bioinformatics boom that happened about 6 years ago you can go thru bio then get masters in comp sci, make big bucks there or move out of bio totally into comp sci thru that training. The math, science, etc in bio is hard enough that it's challenging, but not like engineering-tier where you HAVE to be a god at math. You beat out all non-STEM plebs, office jobs get general education majors a dime a dozen. Your stem degree makes you look smart compared to them and companies notice. I came out of high school with no clue what to do and mediocre grades. Best decision of my life majoring in bio.
>>
>>17403741
I was actually considering going into bio. It seems like a good idea since there are jobs literally everywhere. I was thinking of doing all out bio-tech since the school I wanna go to has some really nice courses for it.
>>
>>17403500
>it doesn't matter what YOU like

That's all well and good from a purely pragmatic and society-based point of view, but ultimately the individual always wants fulfilment.
>>
>>17403768
if you have the guts for it, and the grades, medicine is a great option
>>
Graphic designer here.

Do not do it man clients harass you all the time and are always trying to snake you. The truth of the reality is nobody gives a fuck about graphic design expect other graphic designers. Graphic design is over saturated. There are many vwry motivated amazing graphic designers but they are all stuck working in retail for a reason. Nobody wants to pay.

So now that rant is over 70% of people who end up in the careee after college is not what they went to college for. Everyone has college now a days truth of the matter is go to college get honnors and put that on your resume.
>>
>>17403463
If you want to do design, learn everything. Especially 3D design. Obviously photoshop and illustrator go without saying, maybe even do some CAD work. Be diverse, you'll have to sell yourself but there are jobs out there if you can find them. Might have to move to a big city or be a freelancer and do online work. Some places do that. Also, print shops are common in most cities that do simple shit like that.

>>17403741
This is bullshit, a hospital will not hire you in their lab unless you have a medical technologist certificate and/or degree. A bachelor's in biology in most cases will not cut it. Research positions are also few and far between, funding is forever an issue and very few positions are actually available to grads with no experience. Even PhD's can't find work in research. Bioinformatics is easier to get into with a CS degree IMO. They don't teach you programming lots of times when you take basic biology. Maybe a minor in CS? idk how that would work, probably would require more classes.
>>
>>17403768
There's actually a huge surplus of bio majors (mostly failed med students), and biotech jobs are quite scarce. I've been graduated a year and have yet to find anything resembling decent employment. Microbiology degree.
>>
>>17403908
Unlimited money is also a very real requirement for most people, unless you're willing to go into obscene amounts of debt. That's if you're going for a MD.
>>
I'm thinking about dentistry but I don't know. I think I would probably like after extracting a tooth and seeing the hole, or needing to be involved in some sort of emergency procedure where there's a lot of blood.

I think healing processes are neat. My wisdom teeth grew in just fine about 5 years ago and had to get them extracted, and being able to gradually watch the gum holes full themselves was fascinating. Just the idea that our bodies can heal themselves over time is so cool. I don't really know what sort of career is involved with this specific process though, and because of education bullshit when I was younger, I have no idea how well I would perform in a science-based sorta class. It'd be awful if I did well in my high school upgrade classes but couldn't keep up in anything ng last that.

Fuck, I have no idea what I want to do. I also think circuit boards are cool and really want to learn how they work. How hardware in general works, how it works with given instructions. But what sort of job could I get with that? What sort of course would I take?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.