[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychiatry Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (883KB, 1066x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
883KB, 1066x1500px
Psychiatry resident here on a slow day. Ask away
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 256x256px
I've been dealing with Bipolar 1 for 3 years now, currently unmedicated. I feel 10x better than I did on the meds they had me on. However, I actively have to control my emotions, especially my anger. I'm like the Hulk, I'm always angry, filled with blind rage. On the meds, I was sedated to the point where I couldn't normally function, but my emotions flatlined. Is Bipolar 1 eligible for claiming disability?
>>
>>17402927
It sounds like you need anger management so you can learn more about yourself, the causes of your anger, and how to properly control said anger/emotions.

And no, you don't get a free ride just because you're a ticking time-bomb.
>>
>>17402927
What mess we're you on, and what kinds of problems were you having with them? What were your manic episodes like?
>>
Lately I've been feeling terrible self-esteem. It's not like what people say about depression, I'm still interested in my interests, I just feel like I have become terrible at them. For example, I still love art, but I feel like I can't draw anymore. I don't want to die, but I feel sort of hopeless about living a good life. Probably relatedly, I have not gotten laid in a long time, and I feel like that mojo too is slipping away. Is this something a therapist could help with, do you think?
>>
>>17402871
Hi, I've got some pretty complex elements of neurosis that weave back to grade two and have continued to compound with a bunch of emotionally traumatic experiences through my life. Low self esteem, identity issues, seeking validation from others, suicidal thoughts, grief and guilt over the death of a child, suppressed memories, self loathing, self sabotage, light drug abuse, depression, anxiety, trust issues and whatever fucks you up when your partner of a decade says they never loved you in the first place. I'm in my late thirties now.
Never got any professional help or took any meds for it. Over the last few years I feel like I've been able to overcome/accept some things and rearrange other things so they don't really cause internal conflicts anymore. For the most part I can say I've made most of my issues work for me somehow. None of this ever affected work or education in a bad way despite my tendency to rock the boat.
I know I still have to face my ex, and memories of our child who passed away and probably other things.
My question is, is it imperative that I seek professional help after this long? I honestly think that they ought to be paying me if I'm going to sit there and tell them about how I've overcome and resolved things myself. The one psych referral person I spoke to was quite overwhelmed and amazed after a 30min discussion we had.
So.. If the odd person now and then tells me I should get help, is it okay if I don't see the urgency of doing so?
>>
thanks for nothing
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 485x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 485x750px
>>17403220
:/
>>
I dont really know what my problem is other than being diagnosed with severe anxiety. I have really low self esteem despite being a "high achieving" person, and I also have friends and a boyfriend. I often want to kill myself, and have tried once, but that was years ago. I often do not want to get out of bed. I have really horrible intrusive thoughts, but they don't involve me being violent towards another person, just extreme violence in general. I have nightmares a lot. I truly believe I'm worthless.

I do have voices in my head that tell me that no one loves me, I'm ugly, or that something irrational will happen etc. I am, however, able to see past those voices. But they still affect me.

What do I do
>>
My girlfriend wants to kill herself because she finds herself disgusting. What do I do? We're in a long distance relationship so I'm not sure how to be there for her.
>>
>>17403555

not op but

If it's more than just the thought, and if she has the means to do it, find some way of getting her committed right now.

If it's just the thought creeping in, if you don't think she'll do it, just talk to her. Let her talk, or ask her questions about why does she find herself disgusting. See if she can visit a therapist, many schools offer free counseling. I know that she may not want to talk, or that it may feel like you're prying, but just focus on her expelling orally, what causes her to think that way.

The only thing you can do from afar is to talk constantly, to ask the questions to the things you can't perceive, to just get a dialogue so that she can begin to at least explain further, maybe there are external stresses or feelings that you can help with. Also this is a big challenge, as you've got to be there for her, and you've got to keep yourself going. You may feel helpless, and scared; look into maybe having a therapy session or two to just make sure you can fully vent/process the situation.

I don't really know what else to say, just that the other side of this coin, where I didn't send her back to the hospital, wasn't a pretty thing. Be careful, seek out proper advice from real therapists, there are some on blahtherapy that are licensed and cheap. I'm sure you understand this is serious, but never forget that this is someones life here.

>checked trips
>>
>>17402871
Ive been on sertraline for two months because of OCD
Only thing that changed is the fact that right now I am going insane and that I propably will kill myself soon because everyone thinks Im crazy and psychiatrists only make it worse
>>
>>17402871
How to deal with a mom who passive-aggressively nips your decisions in the bud?
>>
I have ADHD and take medication. It's starting to be less useful again but instead of getting a higher does right now I want to try and coax myself out of the traits I hate: being unable to sit down and do something without thinking of ten other things, being able to concentrate on what people say in conversations, controlling impulse, not being sensitive, etc. I'm trying and struggling, which is okay. I knew it'd be hard.

Do you think that the long-term goal of being able to function like someone in control of themselves to a higher level than normal is feasible at all? Ideally I'd like to be better at it than other people because other people still have wavering attention spans and I get really annoyed when I waver like that. However I COULD settle for "normal".
>>
>>17402871
I went to a therapist and after hearing me out over our sessions came to the conclusion that my home life is the cause of my depression. He told me that sometimes nothing bad has to happen. All that needs to happen is for a child to be born in an environment that doesn't match his needs.

Have you ever heard of this? I believe it since everything clicked when he said it since my depression is something that never started at a direct time and just sort of accrued over the years.
>>
File: 1446581007219.jpg (105KB, 908x640px) Image search: [Google]
1446581007219.jpg
105KB, 908x640px
hi op
i'm also a resident; soon chief in an european country
what's your favourite field in psychiatry? personnality disorders are my thing
i find patients so fascinating but so annoying at the same time
interesting in what they say
annoying in trying to get in contact with you on a day off
>>
File: 1467085394649-x.png (63KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
1467085394649-x.png
63KB, 200x211px
Where the fuck is OP?
>>
Lame
>>
I've been dealing with self harm for around 5 years and have been clean for almost 2 now. I had a pretty rough episode and broke this streak. Since then my mind's been filled with graphic images of cutting. Any advice on how to stop these images and not succumb again to cutting?
>>
File: tfw hoodiekek.jpg (50KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
tfw hoodiekek.jpg
50KB, 500x492px
>Angry all the fucking time
>Regret things i did and did not do on high school
>Anxious all the time especially when im near girls
>have no job
>i do nothing all day. 24/7
>depressed and angry
>Might do something fuckign bad but not at the same time.
>i feel like im hopeless and i shoulda never been fucking born
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.