[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

23 yr old female in the military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 7217230784_e2411442e9_b.jpg (59KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
7217230784_e2411442e9_b.jpg
59KB, 640x425px
What would be the current pros and cons of joining the military at this moment? Concentrating on the cons of course.

I dont have any close friends or family. Dont have a relationship either so i guess these won't be an issue. Please share stories and experiences if you wish.
>>
why do you want to join?
>>
>>17401776
Con: you'll have to take shit from a bunch of 18 year olds ordering you around.
>>
>>17401776
This is mostly second hand information from one of my best friends in the military. If you want to slut it up, basic has no shortage of willing, and forceful men and a few women.

Chauvinism abounds, some innocent stupidity and some truly hateful. This can come from somone of any rank.

Also you get to be around shit heads who have nothing going for them. Some drop out, some mature some stay shitheads. Some of these shitheads are in charge and will make you miserable, and not the on purpose miserable you probably know about. An pissing in the wind kind of miserable because some inept moron has been put in charge. This is most only a problem for lower ranks.

Unless you're already active you will have to do outside training if you want to pass fitness exams.

Learn to enjoy drinking, it helps a lot.
>>
>>17401803
Im not doing anything with my life and im poor as fuck. Havent been able to study or do anything for my future. At least in the army ill be doing something productive. Ill be taking a lot of shit from people but at least i can get free education and training out of it.
>>
>>17401815
Who most likely will want to fuck you, regardless of when you showered last.
>>
>>17401845
I'm not OP but in a similar situation, how is the sexism anyway? From what I've heard, it's like there's nothing you can do right

>enter military
"Lol what a slut"
>be really bad at it
"Typical woman"
>be good at it as a female, but still not the best overall, because you have to remember we have half the strength of males
"Typical woman"
"Ugh I'm sure they'll promote her still because diversity"

My own reason for wanting to do national service for my country is- somehow also to do with sexism. The wage gap here (Asian country) is pretty bad, and the common excuse to get a higher salary as a male, is to talk of how they lag behind due to two years of national service,, and then bond with the employer over those days. They also justify sexual harassment against women by saying that they were hazed in the army and didn't complain.

>don't join as a woman, men complain about equality
>join, and they might still complain

Ah well I might still join, because I have misplaced nostalgia for my all-girl cadet days
>>
>>17401815
Yeah ive heard of this. I guess what would be more upsetting for me would be the fact that they're shitheads more than the age itself.
>>
>>17401845
Thanks a lot for this
>>
>>17401881
OP here. Still interested in this as well.
>>
>>17401881
The "muh diversity" thing comes more from people outside the army than in. From my experience it has never been mentioned by anyone in the army I spoke to.

Sexism per say isn't the worst, but then again I think that has more to do with the culture of the country than the army.
>>
>>17401881
There's a saying that went around the Canadian military, "You either want to beat a man, be with a man, or become a man."
>>
>>17401939
How is studying while enlisted? Do they control what kind of careers you want to choose? How are you able to complete your courses?
>>
>>17401945
that actually sounds pretty accepting, i guess it's too bad i don't live there. I hear too much "you either want to be with a man, or be with a man" mentality around these parts and from some americans. Here, they give a pass to girls who do it for some scholarship, but I just want some different life experiences.
>>
>>17401881
to be fair it is bullshit that women have lower physical fitness standards than men

Its one thing to say that women can't meet the same standards as men, but if you're going to lower the standards for women and say that lower standard is enough to do the job then how can you still hold men to a higher standard?
>>
>>17402130
yeah i agree with that assessment of things, but it does get me down when such throwing of shade ("oh there goes my hopes then, the officers will give the job to her") is the automatic response to a female working hard and improving- i mean come on, why can't they be positive, unless the unjust promotion has actually already happened. I don't mind an auxiliary or maintenance position anyway.

personally, i don't think you need to be as ripped as a guy to be in a non-combat role, but yeah i can see the need too for more stringency in a combative or hardcore field. Besides that, i've heard guys whine that having women around during basic training, would lower their scores for team cohesiveness and strength. But all-female units might just produce more alienation and sexism
>>
>>17401776
You might consider it a con that a whole lot of people will devote themselves to trying to kill you.
>>
>>17401776
Rape statistics are unbelievably high, even though everyone admits the crime is grossly underreported.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.