[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online Media Career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I made this thread yesterday, and I fell asleep before I got the chance to continue it, or reply to the post it got.

Anyway, I feel like I don't actually know anything about the only topic that really makes me want to pursue a career - art and its application in the entertainment industry - namely, animation.

I know little about the industry, where I should ultimately pursue success (is network TV viable or merely a side venture? My goal is to help the format of unrestricted online animation coalesce the popularity of television by continuing the trend online studios like what's it called, Frederator? The bravest warrior people - have created where network deals and network censorship or editing don't hinder the stories to be told.)

I'd like to continue what I was doing yesterday, calling out to any entertainment aspirees, filmmakers, animators, even comic cartoonists, anyone in the same mindset. I need advice, and maybe a little inspiration.
>>
>>17400452
>Anyway, I feel like I don't actually know anything about the only topic that really makes me want to pursue a career - art and its application in the entertainment industry - namely, animation.
Find animations, and read the credits. Look at all the positions related to art. Look at the credits for video games. Once you get a list of job titles, start doing research. Google these jobs and find out what skill sets are required. If you can, look up famous people in artist's positions in animation, and see if you can find interviews, or anything where they shed their knowledge/experience with their job. If you're lucky, they'll drop word of some book, or text, or some kind of resource that's easy to access that they referred to early in their careers.
>>
>>17400483
Well luckily I'm still in school, just finishing my associates in Media (journalism, broadcast, and writing degree) this fall. So I have to transfer to a school where I can pursue my bachelor's. Not sure if I should go for art, first of all because there's no schools nearby (or if there is, and I'm in NY right by the city - any CHEAP schools because debt is the dumbest thing an individual can do) that have it, or IF they do, aren't great for networking, like if I went upstate to Alfred or something.

I'm not going to fucking Full Sail or some shit so I can be with lesbian SJWs for 2 years and pay literally for the connections and an education I'd get elsewhere, especially if I go for animation, which like much of art, is a field I can learn entirely or improve upon at home.

So, with that in mind, nothing secondary really comes to mind, what I had wanted to do was diversify my resume a bit, between my associate's and bachelors. Sure, my 2-year community college Media degree isn't a powerhouse, but I like to think it an excellent backup considering my grades and the fact that come the fall I'll be graduating in the Com honor society or something (never was one for school clubs)

The thing is, I have a pretty good idea of the amount of people needed, and that's one of my biggest problems. One of the things I admire about (((internet))) animators is their autonomy. Sure, it's a rough climb to be noticed anywhere substantial enough to make even the smallest bit of money off of it, but I believe quality, humor, action, and content rule above all. Still, I want to do much of, if not all of the work on simpler projects myself, bar for maybe voice talent.

So, with that in mind, are you involved in any of these fields? and if so, what do you work with?
>>
>>17400452

the big question right now is, can you draw three frames in a row that seem to be consistent enough to loop as an animation?
>>
>>17400508
Sure, I have a few amateur things online, I can link you to the ACTUAL first piece of animated anything I've ever made
>>
>>17400523

the first isnt important. whats important is that if you can animate, keep animating. even if it sjust random scenes from a show you have ideas for. it can be simple animations as simple as people just standing around talking if you want. just keep animating, keep posting.

i mean, how many frames coudl you draw in a frame do you think? divide that into videos adn see what happens.

if you use the style of say, 90s anime, focused on dramatic scenes wiht rare action, you'd need very few frames.

the more you put out htere the more you grow and begin to understand what you need to do next.
>>
>>17400550
Other than some youtube tutorial, are there any books, or even better, online websites or resources you can direct me to to learn the technicalities of animation?
>>
>>17400561

you willing to skype me? i spent the last 8 years working on an animation series and think a longer term series of little talks would be a better direction to go. it would involve one up front real time talk to go over what you do know, your goals, direcitons etc.

solarsailors is me if you want to add me.
>>
>>17400574
I would love that, but I'm warning you, I have more questions than I can even keep settled in my head for any one given time
>>
>>17400577

then were going to get along GREAT.
>>
>>17400581
I'm in eastern US, so it's about 9:30 PM for me

I'm doing some stuff for another hour or so, but I'll add you

In the meantime, to the rest of the thread, I still appreciate any extra input
>>
>>17400607

add me now so its there if you can. since ur in the thread, you might as well. other people might igve some vagueness but without knowing more about your intended journey its hard to guide ya.
>>
first of all: git gud. your work will need to be above average and need to have an audience for it in order to survive. more importantly, you need exposure. i've seen barely above average artists do very well because they had a strong, and loyal cult following they amassed over the years.

if you're looking to get into a studio, what position are you exactly aiming for?

i'm an animation graduate and here's what i learned about getting your foot in the door: the industry needs tech monkeys to get the gears on their projects going. that means knowing how to use industry standard programs, 2d/3d riggers, scene compositors, effects, and animators (no one really draws frame-by-frame anymore by the way, so you're looking more at "puppeteering").

the more glamorous, "fun", harder to get positions are: anything in the vis dev department (character design, props, environment, layout, etc.), storyboarding, and maybe 2d key frame animating if anyone has a traditional animation project... only the best of the best get these positions; or if they are extremely lucky.

but if you're going on your own, there's a ton of freelance, contract-based projects you can get your hands on. a fair warning though, it's hardly sustainable, even for the best artists that i know. a lot of them are scams as well, and i've heard of bigger companies that fucked over artists. you'll find yourself working "overtime" a lot, even when you can work on these projects at your own discretion and schedule. this is why a lot of artists choose to work in studios.

you can also start up a patreon if you're popular enough.

the most important things are to be resourceful and to stay relevant and to keep garnering attention to your work. it's a tough job but it's the cost to living your dreams.
>>
>>17400717
see I'm all for 3d animation if I could learn/pirate a program, but I'm all about the simple frame by frame method, and even that is monotonous as times. The thing is, unless I'm just getting what I might call a "side job" I'm not looking for a random position doing someone else's show, I want to be doing a little bit of everything for my own. That sounds like a lot coming out of the gate, but I will not settle for less. The whole point of animation is to create your story, and so long as it isn't a cooperative project me and a friend thought up over some beers, I want the control.

So really, doing a side gig, I'm open to anything from writing to VA to storyboarding to key animation, if not a little of each. I'm just too full of energy to constrain myself to one thing without burning out - I need to exercise my inner renaissance man or I'll get bored, I feel.

Tell me, after graduating, what did you do for about a 1-3 year span? Care to share a little more of your personal experience?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.