[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help an Autist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: me.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Hey /adv/,
I am a very introverted and socially awkward guy and it's killing me internally. I have tried socializing (by simply trying to talk more to people), and I made a small progress, but I am still socially retarded. When I'm in a social situation, that kinda makes me nervous, I just end up staring at a wall rather than participating. This inability to really socialize with others cuts me off from the social life of my classmates, which just makes me feel like shit because it makes me fear that I will end up completely alone and die that way. I feel like I could actually achieve a p good social life with my looks (pic related, I really don't want to come off as pretentious, but that's just how I kinda feel about it). Can anyone give me tips on how to become more extroverted? How to not fear talking to people and approaching them? Being alone kills me.
(Also sorry for the edgy pic, best I have on the pc I'm currently on)
>>
>I have tried socializing (by simply trying to talk more to people), and I made a small progress,

keep doing this.

There is no shortcut. You get better at talking by talking.

>Can anyone give me tips on how to become more extroverted?
you can't as far as i know. You just need to throw yourself into social situations and learn as you go.

>How to not fear talking to people and approaching them?
Practice.I try looking down at people but that does not work well when i deal with bosses and the like.
>>
>>17399342
what helped me the most when overcoming my anxiety was realizing that no one gives a shit if you stare at a wall for a while. people will make remarks if you zone out while doing that and can't keep up with a conversation. but if you're just the type to look at walls during a conversation then that's actually not half as much a big deal as you think it is. yes people will realize you're probably a little shy. but at the same time people will also realize that you're putting yourself into this situation and are working on yourself. people accept the fact that you are there and respect you even if you look at the wall and seem a bit distant from time to time. there's a lot of people who are like this (to varying degrees) and everyone in the world has met a dozen people like this in his life.
if you truly understand this then you'll be able to be more relaxed in social situations
>>
>>17399342

ir pretty handsome so just go talk to people.

the only way to get over fear is to face em. practice makes perfect. have a friend there to help guide. let him know your concerns and issues and let him help you
>>
Being social, making friends, and so forth is all a numbers game. If you think the person is cool looking or you sense some kind of friend there, try talking to them, if not, move on to the next one. The best way to become more extroverted is keep doing what you are doing until it becomes more normal, but know there is nothing wrong with being an introvert. As far as your fear, just practice and stuff. The worse that can happen is they don't be friendly, and then it doesn't matter what they say or do.
Also, if you can't grow decent facial hair you should shave it. Not slamming you, but I assume you wanted some input based on you putting a picture of yourself there.
>>
Do you have diagnosed autism?
>>
Thanks for all thelp, really appreaciate it.
>>17399408
No, I'm just meming.
>>
>>17399608
Actual autist here. This delegitimatizes the condition when you make a make a joke about it. Don't be shitty, to start, as nobody in meatspace is going to find that funny.

Secondly, extrovert vs introvert is rough because it comes down to how you best recover your energy and relax. Introverts get it alone, extroverts get it from being around others. Most people are a mix, and both can get lonely.

Talking to others requires constant, incessant practice. Just talk to the people you like, and the ones that are worth the effort will stick around. Doesn't hurt that you're good looking either. Try to be genuine though, and don't put on airs lest your mask slips and suddenly nobody likes you anymore. I know I can always spy a fake.

Anyhow, between this and everybody else's advice you'll find your way.

I'm serious about the "autist" thing though. If you said something like that to me in person, then God forbid double down when called out I'd probably break your nose. But I guess it comes down to the company you keep. I'd never tolerate that though ;D
>>
just keep practicing talking like thats literally it

if you're worried about not being intrested in you, then read books. watch (good) stuff on tv. you'll be able to reference stuff and know more. it impresses people.
>>
>>17399713
Thanks my man. Don't get so angry about the autist thing; there are way more "offensive" things on here.
>>
>>17399342
gdi thought you were Brandon for a second
>>
>>17400011
who is that?
>>
>>17399741
Yeah, you're right. It does get way worse here. And on the advice board too! Nowhere is safe.

By and large, I'm glad that I can help.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.