[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (87KB, 1680x932px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87KB, 1680x932px
Alright /adv/

So I've been working my job for almost 2 years now, first year was an apprenticeship and they kept me on.

The salary they put me on post-apprenticeship was only slightly higher than my apprenticeship salary.

This puts me at £14.5k a year.

As a 21 year old looking to get his first home and live life, this isn't anywhere near enough.

So yesterday I was approached about a similar job earning around £22k a year. I've proceeded with this and am meeting the recruitment agency next week to register and whatnot.

Obviously by no means is it a guarantee but I'm interested.

However, I love where I work now. I love the job, work with some great people and would be reluctant to leave so hastily.

Is it worth having a meeting with my boss tomorrow to express these concerns? The main goal is obviously more money but a £6000 raise is not realistic at all.

I guess I just need some guidance from you guys who may have been in a similar situation and have some experience with this.

Cheers
>>
>>17399060
If you talk with your boss the goal should be to give him an heads up that you're going away, and only do this if you're on very good terms with your boss and are 100% he won't screw it up for you.
What would be a realistic raise, 10, 20%? And being singled out as the guy that forced his hand? Just move on.
>>
>>17399087
My boss wouldn't screw it up for me at all, he's trustworthy and you can go to him with anything.

So basically, tomorrow should run something like: "I want to make you aware that I've been approached for a job elsewhere and will be going ahead with the application"

Would that be a fair thing to say?
>>
14.5k a year? That's like what I made at 8 bucks an hour or some shit.

You're getting screwed mate.
>>
>>17399107
"hey boss man, I just wanted to remind you it's a competitive job market out there, and I'm following up with a company that's prepared to offer me an increased salary, and with my life in the current direction it's going, I need a salary on that level."
>>
>>17399107
Yeah, maybe offer to help training your replacement, if there's time before you get the other job.
>>
You NEVER go to your boss before you have a new job lined up. Once you do you'll have a target on your back. He will know that eventually you will leave so he'd rather have you go out on HIS terms and not yours.

If he REALLY likes you, he may make a counter offer but remember this is also a bad move. It makes other employees figure they can do the same thing.

What you want to do is research the market so you know what the market value is for someone with your qualifications. Make sure to compare benefits. Then if the other job still looks good and you get a firm offer, go for it.
>>
>>17399512
Solid advice, I'll run with this.

Cheers everyone
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.