[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Housemate doing/selling drugs in living room.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: stepup.png (19KB, 300x276px) Image search: [Google]
stepup.png
19KB, 300x276px
Evening advice. I hate to come to you guys about something like this, because I know a lot of yall smoke weed for problems that you can't control (and just for the fun of it).

Here's the situation. My housemate is a pothead. You know the type, wake up, smoke (cough a lot) bring his friends over, smoke, sleep, repeat.

I hate the smell of weed, but I can tolerate it because that's what you get for not being able to afford your own apartment. Things have changed though.

I just saw my housemate selling his weed to other people in my apartment complex. He keeps our doors and balcony open because it's hot in the living room and to air out the weed stink (he smokes inside, even though I've told him not to. I get he doesn't care, so w/e.)

I'm afraid that our neighbors (who are also college kids that smoke weed, probably) are going to call the cops on us because he's selling drugs. I'm trying to find a new place, but in the meantime I dont want to get hit with a federal offense because his stash is in the 'living room'.

I want this guy out, obviously. But I dont know how to navigate the legal landscape. Do I just call the cops next time he's selling and go from there? Should I call our landlord and leave an 'anonymous tip' that there's a heavy drug user in our apartment?

Should I contact a lawyer? How would I do that anyways?

I'm not sure where to start. But my goal is to kick this guy out, or leave before shit gets worse.

Also, the roommates are foriegn exchange students, so they don't really seem to grasp that getting hit with a drug offense will strip their financial aid and more than that.

I know that was a lot, but please help!
>>
MY GOD PLEASE
>>
My alternative is to turn your place into a full blown traphouse.
Learn how to cook crack and employ the foreigners since they don't know better.
Get the whole apartment complex involved if you can.
Play OJ Da Juiceman very loudly.
Trap your ass off and be a rich, successful man.
>>
thats not advice
>>
What state?
>>
I'm in california, Los Angeles Area (Long Beach)
>>
>>17397070

I would say tell your landlord to be honest. You never know when someone else may report you and an anonymous tip isn't going to spare you. Sure they may do a drug test on you and you'll come out clean I guess, but sometimes being forthcoming about it is the safest option, especially since it could mean you guys would have to pay cash or lose out on some chunk of your security deposit or what have you to clean that shit up for the next resident.

At the very least, speak with your landlord and see if he can help you with options to help move out.
>>
I would leave the house during a dealing and call the cops then go back later and explain your situation to the cops.
>>
>>17397484
This is kind of a dick move. At least tell the housemate that you're planning on doing this if he doesn't stop selling/smoking in the apartment.
>>
>>17397549

I think calling the cops and playing dumb about it would be a dick move, but I'm also the type who - after growing up with two drug-dealing parents and a pothead dealing brother myself - believes there's no changing people from that shit. I'm biased to that though so it's probably good you called me out on that.

It's better he do something now instead of hoping his roommate will change on the fly. If the door is wide open some neighborhood mom could easily report his ass and they'll both get in trouble.
>>
Try to find a new roommate, or tell your roommate that you don't think it's good to sell in the apartment, or sell and smoke in the same place. Also be careful when you hear knocks on the door, always check the peep hole. I was robbed by gun point when I went to hang with a friend who sold. Apparently, drug dealers are prime suspects for robberies due to the large amounts of cash/drugs on hand, who knew? Stay safe anon, and be a man whatever u do, u have rights, just don't be too much of a bitch or too much of an ass
>>
>>17397070
Have you tried to tell him that selling out of your home is pretty fucking dumb?
>>
Tell him to

>Stop smoking in the living room and smoke in his own room
>if hes going to sell small quantities to friends that fine, nobody is going to report that shit
You are both paying for the apartment so you have rights to the living room. If he refuses, tell your other housemates and give him an ultimatum: abide by the rules that everyone follows or fuck off
>>
OP Here

>He lives in the living room, that is 'his room'.

>I've told the Leaseholder straight up, "He is selling drugs to people in our living room." leaseholder shrugged it off. He's never home, so I don't think the severity hit him.

Basically I'm the only person mad about it, because I dont want to be in the house with a drug dealer.

I'm afraid if I call the cops, not only will they arrest the dude /question him, but they'll also take me in and the other roommates because the weed is stored in his 'room'-- the common area.

I dont want to end up homeless because the whole plan backfires and everyone is evicted.
>>
You are not in danger. You just have hang ups about harmless drug use.

> I dont want to get hit with a federal offense because his stash is in the 'living room'.
That's not going to happen, you're overreacting.

>>17397558
>some neighborhood mom could easily report his ass and they'll both get in trouble.
What fucking planet are you people from where cops arrest you for not selling drugs?

I grew up around drug dealers. The first time my house was raided was when I was 6 years old. Yeah it's annoying. I don't like the smell of weed or booze, and I hate finding needles and burnt up pipes around my yard. Still, just because one or two people were using/dealing at any given time, cops only cared about whoever was named under the search warrant.

Face it, you're blowing this out of proportion. You're not buying from or smoking with him, you're not doing anything wrong. He's not hurting anyone, and your discomfort with the situation is unfounded.

Sending people to jail for selling marijuana is one of the dumbest things humanity has ever done. If you get him in trouble you're complicit in making a broken system more broken.
>>
>>17397977
We're not here to say whether the system is broken or not.
It is illegal, so he shouldn't do it, period. If he gets caught, all the roommates might get in trouble. If someone try to rob him as >>17397569 said, what's stopping him from stealing from the roommates?
>>
I have no moral qualms about turning this guy in, I'm sorry. He's an asshole, leaves his shit out, and in general is unpleasant. The only reason why he is not out on his ass on the street is because I'm not on the lease, and I can't kick him out.

He's brought shady people to the house, had people sleep here, fuck up the place.

So, with that being said, realizing I dont give the fuck if he spends some time in a cell (I'm sorry, I don't.), if I call the cops while I'm out, and they catch him dealing, WILL ME AND THE REST OF THE ROOMIES GET HIT.
>>
>>17398151
If your names aren't on the warrant, no you won't
>>
Alright, thank you. When he starts dealing again, I'll take a walk and call the cops. Thank you.

Anyone else's advice?
>>
>>17397977
>You just have hang ups about harmless drug use.
I don't think the possibility of being robbed at gunpoint because your dumbass roomie is dealing is "harmless". But what do I know? I'm not an American.
>>
Just do what you have said and be sure to check the fucker hasn't stashed anything in your room without you knowing.

Although you should be reasonably safe anyway since you are the one putting in the tip, and cops usually care more about the dealing than the using.
>>
as a former pothead in a town of pothead on the fence.
You have a reasonable right to live in a drug free environment and feel safe in your home.

On the flip side most of the people I've seen over the years dealing with pot have been pretty cool.

I would not over escalate, like reporting someone like that is a serious dick move i.e. multiple years in jail for distributing for something that a lot of people consider trivial.

like in order,
polite conversation - explain your position and discomfort, no threats seriously will not help to situation, give him realistic alternatives, i.e. do your business elsewhere, smoke away from the house.

B. Document the situation, all you need is a photograph. same thing ask him to stop or take it elsewhere,

c. talk to your housemates and make it unanimous

d. landlord

e. cops

seriously don't get someone incarcerated over something that can be solved with communication.
>>
You know explaining yourself to cops does not necessarily get you off the hook. You could end up getting yourself arrested just out of proximity. They file a report, anything you say could be used against you and needs to be substantiated, your housemate also can make statements that are just as valid as yours. If you say he's distributing you may inadvertently implicate all the people in your building.

It all goes to the district attorney who decides what to file based on who he can realistically convict, even if your innocent. Not trying to scare you, but seriously don't assume the law is on your side just because you can pass a drug test are the 'good guy.'
>>
I would talk to a public defender, they're not there to incarcerate you, safer then talking to cops or a district attorney who both have their own prerogatives. They probably also deal with a huge number of minor drug cases and know what will work.

You could also just file a CPO (civil protection order) in family court, you need very little evidence to get one, a photograph, some statements that you don't feel safe in your home because of drugs etc. the requirement of evidence is pretty low.

If you do that and the judge approves it he'll basically have to defacto leave and can't hurt or threaten you without getting arrested. It also lets you present evidence before any sort of criminal proceedings without actually having to have him arrested. You don't need a lawyer to get one.

that's a dick move, but less of a dick move then calling the cops.

honestly I would just talk to him, or leave, fucking with the law is a whole lot of drama.
>>
>>17397977
>The first time my house was raided was when I was 6 years old
This sums up your whole post. Why do you think anybody should take you seriously when you were brought up by people who thought that that was a good environment to bring up a child?
>>
>>17397954
The police cant just come in and start looking through your roommates stuff without him saying they can. The police also can't do anything even if they smell smoke on him. They can only arrest him if they actually see him smoking or see him dealing pot. Even if he does get arrested there's a chance you could too since you live with him. If you do or don't then both of you will be able to make bail and he'll most likely want to beat the shit out of you for ratting him out.

Just find a new place and leave, dumbass.
>>
>calling the cops b/c a roomie is selling drugs
>ever

You said he lives in the living room, so (while it's still illegal) I would say you should stfu if he's selling weed from the only room he possesses.
Also I don't know if there are differences but I know my fair share of druggies and not a single one of them has been robbed at home.
>>
>>17398319
To this guy, OP Here.

Thanks, I'll follow these steps and see if I can't figure something out.

The housemate in question IS an asshole, though. He isn't 'chill'. He brings really sketchy ass people into the house who've went through our fridge, stolen things in the living room, whatever.

When I politely asked him to smoke outside because it was stinking up the house, he gave me the 'how dare you' look and after a week started smoking again. We also live in an apartment complex where the other neighbors are close, and he keeps the windows open because it's hot in california. The neighbors are definitely smelling weed 24/7.

I've spoken to my roommates and they seem 'cool' with it. It's mostly because I live in the room closest to the living room, and they live at the back of the apartment complex, where the weed smell doesn't get to. Also I think they just dont understand the severity.

And all these people saying "just chill it's pot" how about a fuck you? I don't want to live next to any drugs, and if the guy is disrespectful AND inconsiderate, he does not belong with me.

So, any other advice? And thank you all, regardless of what you've posted. It's really helping ease my mind.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.