[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Security deposit woes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Property Value.png (1MB, 1333x892px) Image search: [Google]
Property Value.png
1MB, 1333x892px
Sorry if this is not best suited here, posted in /biz/ as well.

Background: Kid (A) moves in to apartment. $1,370/month rent and puts down $1,370/security deposit to start. Finds roommate (B) 2 weeks later. Adjusts lease now they split the $1,370 in half and each pay their portion. However new roommate (B) never pays any portion of the depsoit and is never asked too.

Flash forward 1 whole year. The newly found roommate (B) moves out. Remember the $1,370 deposit is still in (A's) name. The apartment is never assesed for damages for that year, remember this.

My friend (C) and I (D) now move in under the agreement we split the monthly rent like so; (A) pays half, (C) and (D) each pay a quarter equalling the other half. Securit deposit is NEVER discussed, remember this.

Flash forward 10 months. (A) moves out but agrees to continue paying the remainder of his rent for the last 3 months (this includes the month he moved out). However his father is requesting my friend (C) and I (D) each give him directly $450 for the security deposit because he finds it "unfair he should pay the whole deposit because his son will not be there for the remainder of the lease". His exact words by the way.

So heres whats fucked;

1) The apartment was never assessed for damages during the first year of stay between (A) and (B).

2) (B) was never asked to pay any of the security deposit and is basically getting away scott free with any damages he may have caused.

3) The security deposit was never once discussed with my friend (C) and I (D) prior to us moving in. His father simply said "Sorry it was just a miscommunication".

4) My friend has already stated he will not give him any money as it was never discussed with him prior and legally its all in (A's) name.

So my question, also sorry for the long post; Am I legally required to give him any money? And if so shouldnt it be 1/4th not a 3rd because of roommate (B)? Help please.
>>
>>17393801
I'm no lawyer but I'm gunna say no you aren't responsible. But maybe ask a lawyer.

Unless there's something in writing that says you're responsible for the deposit just tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>17393801
It would be neater for you to pay him, but not required.

A should talk to the landlord, either asking for his deposit back, with C & D replacing it with an equal amount.

Or everything waits until the end of the original lease, at which A collects his deposit and C&D sign a new lease with new deposit.

If there is enough damage to eat up the deposit, and it can be traced uniquely to B. C or D, A must then sue the culprit to replace what A lost to the landlord.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.