[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retail at a Video Game Store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: 7ChJcti.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7ChJcti.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
Any of you guys have experience working a one? I'm applying at one and they're looking to interview me tomorrow, but the more I think about it, the more I worry about not getting it due to lack of universal video game knowledge

I'm not completely new to video games and video game culture, but I'm very casual. Indie PC games and and a few older Nintendo games (LoZ , Pokemon, Earthbound, etc. series ) are all that I'm really familiar with.

Any way to boost up my chances of getting hired? Play more games? Research a few systems?
>>
>>17392211

Jesus kid they want someone who can scan a credit card, re-stock the shelves and not steal from them.

You're making this into way more than it is. No one with encyclopedic knowledge of vidya is going to be working in a store anyway, they're going to be steaming all of the latest games and vlogging about it and being millionaires.

It's a crap job, for crap pay. If you don't look like a thug and have a clean background check, you'll get in.
>>
>>17392211
It's a garbage job because every kid and their brother wants to work there. So they'll pay you like shit, treat you like shit, and work you like a dog alphabetizing the store over and over and over, because they know there's literally thousands of kids just like you dreaming of the day they'll be able to work at gamestop. IMO you'd be better off just becoming a cashier at walmart, they'll pay you better and you'll have to deal with less bullshit.
>>
You sound over-qualified for the job.
>>
File: 1462109964166.gif (161KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1462109964166.gif
161KB, 480x360px
>>17392211
Kek. You'll soon realize that working in Game Shops is mostly stoners, 4channers, and usually laid back guys with no real standards of crowd, so theyre typically really friendly and easy to melt in with socially.

You dont need to be some videogame Wizard to be hired. As long as you do your job well consistently, which is barely any effort at all at Gamestop/BestBuy/Whatever, you'll probably get Employee of the Month easily.

Just take it easy, bro it up with the Manager and Employees, discuss vidya/drugs/girls/music with them and enjoy your Paycheck. Just be prepared for annoying children and clueless Adults wondering in.
>>
File: 1469457804282.jpg (490KB, 900x1226px)
1469457804282.jpg
490KB, 900x1226px
You'll be fine most likely. I worked at two vidya shops, first job as a simple cashier at a very small local shop and then an assistant manager at a larger one.

If it's a big store (Gamestop etc) they'll just want reliable workers with the capacity to learn on the fly and push product. Smaller ones, in my experience, were quite a bit stricter in their hiring. My first small store vidya job quizzed you like crazy in interview and then first day you were immediately taught how to replace pins in an NES, batteries in carts, given systems to test (some were purposely old & defective and a test) and a run down of everything. You were essentially learning and doing grunt work for a week or so until they felt you knew the product and then got to hop to the register. I highly doubt any places really do that now. That store was a bit unique. (Actually caught the manager asking a potential hire, in interview, "So, what's the Konami code?")

Regardless, it's a retail gig. Just ace the interview and pray the manager liked you. Any vidya knowledge is just icing on the cake. Good luck, man.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.