[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make me a future record store employee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1469190610904.jpg (141KB, 1679x944px) Image search: [Google]
1469190610904.jpg
141KB, 1679x944px
So apart from being in a band, my whole life I've wanted to wrok in a record store.

Right now I am depressed for a variety of reasons, failing my animation course recently single. I'm at a low point.

I feel like if I could get this job it might help me start to get my life back on track.

Trouble is, it's the kind of job everyone wants.

At this stage I was honestly contemplating calling tomorrow just after they open and telling thw owner about my prior experience and that I am willing to work for peanuts.

Other than that I don't know. Please help.
>>
Bump again
>>
Any record store owner is going to want someone who knows their shit--and someone who thinks they know but really doesn't is far worse than someone who admits they don't know.

It's not that exciting unless you collect records yourself and are allowed first dibs. Otherwise it's a fairly normal retail job aside from the fact that you can play cool music instead shit when you're working.

It's still a niche hobby and a lot of people think they want to do it but don't realize it's not just leaning on the counter and listening to old 45s all day. It's a lot of condition grading, pricing, tagging, cataloguing and cleaning.
>>
>>17392083
I'm fairly anti-social so the idea of doing those menial jobs more than customer interraction works for me.

I think my songwriting would also benefit from just being exposed to all the new artists I will inevitably learn of.

What would you recommend I do to make me stand out and hopefully get this job?
>>
>>17392136

Unless you're working in a massive record store you're going to be dealing with customers all day as well. They'll probably only have a few employees total.

Since all Record Stores are used resellers, they need people who know about records and record players.

Having a good knowledge of musical history can't hurt; knowing what is expensive, what's rare, who's ought after, how to grade properly and price properly will make you stand out.
>>
>>17392162
I know about 50% of all of that.
If I can set up an interview, then I can spend the whole rest of the week studying up on the rest and in general be the best employee they have which shouldnt be difficult.
>>
>>17392162
Also thanks anon, it may be the sleep deprivation but your post filled me with hope.
>>
>>17391862

>2016
>record store

I tell you, they're making them really dumb these days.
>>
>>17393361

Hey man, it's not like he's studying theater.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.