[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ask the LawFag anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: lawfag.jpg (9KB, 150x239px) Image search: [Google]
lawfag.jpg
9KB, 150x239px
I'm a lawyer in Canada, doing mostly family law. Ask me anything. If it's a legal question, you have to tell me what country you're in; if in US what state, or in Canada what province.
>>
Pic unrelated. That's not me, I just think she's hot.
>>
>>17388247
Canada.
Can a single male have a child via surrogacy using a Canadian surrogate and if yes, can the surrogate screw me over by keeping the child and extorting child support from me?
>>
What do you think of a CS major going into law school?

What was it like for you going into law school, and being in it?

What's it like being a lawyer?
>>
>>17388331
Holy shit, are you serious? So you'd give a surrogate a fertilized egg to implant and bring to term? Who would the mother (or at least egg donor) be?
>>
>>17388274
Way to shatter my illusions

Faggot
>>
>>17388340
>CS major going into law school?
No reason why you can't. Good lawyers these days need computer skills. If you're up on your technology then maybe intellectual/property law is up your alley. It's a growing and lucrative field. Take some sample LSATs and see how you do, that's easy enough.

Law school wasn't hard. In Canada the vast majority of law students already have at least an honours bachelor degree from university, so they have the academic skills to get through law school. The hardest part of becoming a lawyer is getting into law school. You need good marks and a good LSAT result, money for tuition, and 3+ years of your life to spare.
Being a lawyer sucks some days, is great other days. I like to shoot off my yap in court and get paid for it, I'll admit it. But I'm a litigator by nature, lots of lawyers do lots of different things with their degree/license. I find it interesting and challenging, which is good as long as one doesn't burn out.
>>
>>17388350
I'm not trying to shatter your dreams. It's just a very unusual question, and before I do research on it or spend a lot of my time I just wanted to know if you're serious or not.

If you are, let me know. My question was valid. A surrogate takes the embryo and brings it to term. If you're a single guy you'd need a fertilized egg for the surrogate. I assume you'd use your sperm, but do you have an egg donor? Obviously if the surrogate's egg is fertilized then the surrogate isn't a surrogate but rather is "mom" and it's a whole other scenario.

And I'm not a faggot, I just don't want to have my time wasted.
>>
>>17388247
I have a question. I recently (over a year ago now, but) broke up with a woman whom I had a child with, no marriage. My legal aid lawyer was absolutely useless, but that's kind of beside the fact. About a month ago, we signed and finalized the papers. I was told, after I signed the agreement, that there was going to be a couple of addendums added to the agreement, and I would need to sign off on them. However, I received the agreement in the mail, and it seems that addendums were indeed added, but everything is now finalized and over.
My question, I guess, is... I didn't sign off on these addendums. Is it all legal and kosher? In the Yukon, if that matters at all.
>>
>>17388371
I'm >>17388350

Read the post I was replying to carefully.
>>
Trying to become a lawyer myself. However, my undergrad isn't too stellar, only a 3.3. What lsat would I honestly need to be competitive? A165?
>>
>>17388379
Ooops, sorry. Yes, some jerkoff was commenting on the picture, not my reply to you. You're absolutely right.

So surrogacy is legal in Canada, if it's done a certain way. Paying the surrogate isn't legal, but "reimbursing the surrogate for expenses" is. That's a grey area, as I'm sure you can imagine. Go to fertilitylawcanada.com, there's some good information there.

Buying human eggs is illegal in Canada, but it does happen, or you can buy one from the US and have it shipped to your clinic in Canada.

This is a very expensive proposition. You pay for the egg, you pay for it to be fertilized, you pay for the surrogate, with no guarantee of success of a healthy child.

As for the surrogate wanting to keep the baby? That's possible, I'm unaware of any case law on this exact situation. You'd need to talk to a good family/fertility lawyer near you to arrange it all, in part to keep you as anonymous as possible. More fees there too.

I hoped that helped as a start.
>>
>>17388375
>I didn't sign off on these addendums. Is it all legal and kosher?
Wow, good question Anon. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with the legal aid lawyer you had, perhaps where you are in the Yukon the pickings are slim. Anyway, if this is recent your lawyer probably still has the file open so ask your lawyer about it if there's still any time or coverage on your legal aid.

Assuming that you signed an agreement and sent it to the to the other side, and the agreement came back signed by them with addendum, and you didn't sign or agree to the addendum, then addendum isn't agreed to.

But that's really the issue, isn't is? An addendum is usually a list of goods each party is taking from the home, or something like that. What's in the addendum? If it's important or a "fundamental term" then it should have been in the agreement itself rather than attached.
>>
>>17388385
>Trying to become a lawyer myself. However, my undergrad isn't too stellar
I assume that you're in the US? I can't tell you, since my experience is with Law School in Canada and also 25 years ago. Your undergrad college or university must have a department for this, ask there. Like "guidance" but not like high school.
Different schools have different admissions standards. If you're serious, do some practise LSAT exams under the same time controls, and see how you did. Even if your grades aren't the best maybe some schools take the LSAT mark as a greater element of an application as other schools.
If you do well in the practise LSATs, write the real thing and see how you do. If you do okay, apply to some law schools with the marks that you have. In the meantime, if you're serious then retake some courses at undergrad and boost that average Anon.
>>
How can I beat avoid having my soul crushed if I go into employment law?
>>
>>17388720
Do you have any ambitions of getting into Employment Law? For employers, it's mainly drafting employment contracts and negotiating termination/dismissal/severance package settlements. On the other end, it's mainly reviewing employment contracts and negotiating termination/dismissal/severance package contracts. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing. You could find yourself with an ongoing retainer from different employers, or hired by a larger employer's HR department. Are you in law now? There are many other areas of law which are more soul crushing in my opinion.
>>
>>17388247
I was wondering about the legality of longboarding near the sidewalks of Niagara falls.
>>
>>17388421
No, I'm in Canada, I thought that was clear. The last practice test I wrote I made 168. As far as redoing undergrad, I've already graduated, so I'm not sure I can do that.
>>
Why did you become a lawyer?
>>
>>17388978
Well, 168 is an excellent score indeed. If you do as well on the real thing you may well get into a school that weighs the LSAT more heavily than undergrad grades. Good letters of recommendation would help too.
>>
>>17389010
Well, there were several reasons. In the late 90's I could have gone into technical writing which paid well, but I didn't want to get into a technology field because I knew I'd have had to spend all my free time upgrading and staying on top of the tech. Plus technical writing is boring. So I made a pitch for law school and got in.
I don't regret it. As a "professional", I'll always be able to make decent money, nobody will ever make me retire or fire me (unless I'm disbarred for some reason), and I've never had to worry about the whole "people change careers 5 times" meme applying to me. It's interesting and challenging enough for me. I never had a burning desire to become a lawyer, and I didn't do it for the money.
>>
>>17388975
I don't know. You'd have to look up the bylaws of Niagara Falls, whether in Canada or US.
>>
>>17389065
>I've never had to worry about the whole "people change careers 5 times" meme applying to me
I've spoken to several lawyers (in their 40s and older), and each one of them have said that they've worked in so many different areas and so many different jobs. I'm not sure if it's just where I live, or whether YOU'RE the exception.
>>
If I weld a knife onto my prosthetic arm, can I carry it in public in Alberta?
>>
>>17388247
I want A dead and i know this person is cheating on B's gf and i know that of B finds out he will kill A. If i tell B can i face any legal consequences?
>>
>>17389095
It wouldn't be concealed, so sure. Why not?
>>
>>17389090
That's fair. Lawyers often change the field they work in, depending on the market or their interest or what direction their firm is going on. There are lots of things you can do with a law degree, you're not limited to litigating or closing real estate deals.
When I started off I did small claims stuff, duty counsel at court for legal aid, some construction lien stuff, and more. It was lower paying work and I wanted to see what I liked and what I was good at. Later in my career I did some criminal and family, then settled on doing primarily family law litigation.
>>
>>17389100
Just to clarify; this is a hypothetical situation. It originally crossed my mind when i was thinking about a drug dealer who killed a pedophile, i thought about the possibility of doing that if i found out someone is a pedo.
>>
>>17389100
Yes, it's possible. If B kills A, and B is charged and B tells the authorities that you told him about the affair, you could be charged with instigating an assault or being reckless as to the life of A when you interfered.
You say that you know that B will kill A if you say anything, thus your saying it makes you complicit in A's death. Naturally, it depends on where you live, what the laws are, the evidence, etc..
>>
>>17389132
Oh ok, thank you.
>>
Realistically, in the absence of physical evidence, how much time would have to pass before you told a client that they shouldn't be concerned about a homicide?
>>
>>17389162
>how much time would have to pass before you told a client that they shouldn't be concerned about a homicide?
Interesting. Can you be more specific? I mean, without any evidence what grounds would I have to tell a client that they are at risk of being made dead in the first place?
>>
>>17389165
I'm sorry, I must have phrased that awkwardly. Your theoretical client is not worried about being made dead, they're worried about being charged for making someone else dead.
>>
>>17389179
>worried about being charged for making someone else dead.
I see. Since there's no statute of limitations on a murder charge where I am, then I can't tell the client, or anyone, they they won't ever be charged with murder.
>>
>>17389220
I'm not asking when someone would be 100% in the clear, I'm more asking if you have an idea on how long before it moves to "highly unlikely."
>>
>>17389242
When is it ever "highly unlikely" when the client was a legitimate suspect but there wasn't enough evidence to charge? Evidence might arise in the future. Obviously, the more time that passes the less likely of a charge if the evidence is primarily circumstantial or human witnesses as memories fade and witnesses die. Then again, leaps in science have found evidence when none existed years ago.
>>
>>17388247

British Columbia.

I'm tired of women from Canada, they all seem awful. If I wanted to find some qt from a different place and bring her back here then get married. Would a Pre-Nup protect my assets sufficiently so that she doesn't rob me blind?
>>
>>17389484
A pre-nup would certainly help, but if the bride to be is from another country you absolutely need to get her independent legal advice on all of its contents, and if necessary officially translated.

Sorry that you're not finding anyone from Canada. I'm a bachelor and have stopped trying myself.
>>
File: fightclub.gif (458KB, 393x373px) Image search: [Google]
fightclub.gif
458KB, 393x373px
USA, Florida:
>Wife leaves with the kids after a big fight and goes to her moms. Not the first fight we've ever had, but they've not been physical and the police have never been involved. Been gone for about a month now. Says she won't return unless she takes a year off and we go to therapy during that time. We've been to two sessions so far and she's adamant that she won't return unless a full year has gone by.

I think she's just blowing smoke up my ass and using our joint checking account to pull money out to save up for an attorney, while I waste time and money for a therapist. She hasn't had a full time job in two years, but I know she printed out a bunch of resumes the last time she came to our home (the paper jammed and they were stuck in the printer).

I'm thinking that I should stop using the joint checking account and move my paychecks where I only have access and go ahead and get an attorney. Would I be fucked over legally if I cut her off financially? Could she keep me from my kids? She's the one who walked out on me. I'm still in our home paying the bills while she's rent free with her mother.
>>
>>17389621
Wow, that's a fully messed up situation on several fronts. I'm not licensed to give legal advice in Florida of course, but you need some serious help and an overall plan.

If you give me a throw away email I can give you a referral to a good online resource, Anon. I can't just post it on the thread because I'm not here to shill.
>>
>>17389654
[email protected]

Thanks man. I'd like to save my family but I don't want my wife to play me for a fool either.
>>
>>17389677
OK, got it. Sending a note now. Delete that post with address if you like.
>>
>>17389065
Thanks for the answer. Sounds like me and med school, I don't have a burning passion but I can easily see myself getting through this and making it a lifelong career.
Like you said, its challenging and engaging.
>>
>>17388247
Is the paralegal problem as bad in Canada as it is in the US? Webern I we employed as a permatemp and researching the laws about it, I stumbled upon countless paralegal horror stories, where they worked long hours at ungodly times, doing tedious paperwork for little pay (for a law graduate, that is).
>>
>>17391169
When I was
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.